• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s14_qp_41.pdf
Q9 part a
It is for SEVEN marks.
Is this alright? I took points from the MS but still it looks short.

The similarity between the organisms of the kingdom Protoctista is that they all are eukaryotes which have linear DNA and 80S ribosomes.
The differences are many.Some may be unicellular but other maybe multicellular.
Some organims may have cell wall and vacuoles and others might not.
Some might be able to move i.e they are mobile while others dont move.
Some maybe be able to proiduce their own food some may not.

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s14_qp_41.pdf
Q9 part a
It is for SEVEN marks.
Is this alright? I took points from the MS but still it looks short.

The similarity between the organisms of the kingdom Protoctista is that they all are eukaryotes which have linear DNA and 80S ribosomes.
The differences are many.Some may be unicellular but other maybe multicellular.
Some organims may have cell wall and vacuoles and others might not.
Some might be able to move i.e they are mobile while others dont move.
Some maybe be able to proiduce their own food some may not.
i would give you 6 marks becuz the last point doesn't follow the biology terminology, you should say autotrophic rather than "produce their own food" to apply the terminology however, if the markscheme says AW( alternative wording) besides the term autotrophic/hetrotrophic then the final point can be considered as correct. if your answer is short but fulfils all the points then, there is no execuse or reason for the examiner not to give you the full mark. somehow, try to avoid listing or else it will look like you where copying the markscheme .

Reaction score
i would give you 6 marks becuz the last point doesn't follow the biology terminology, you should say autotrophic rather than "produce their own food" to apply the terminology however, if the markscheme says AW( alternative wording) besides the term autotrophic/hetrotrophic then the final point can be considered as correct. if your answer is short but fulfils all the points then, there is no execuse or reason for the examiner not to give you the full mark. somehow, try to avoid listing or else it will look like you where copying the markscheme .
Yes here I made it as a list or else I write in paras.Still it looks short. :/
Thanks.

Reaction score
if my answer exceed given lines in q
will the examiner correct it
my hard writing is big and dont fit space
The examiner can still mark your answer if you have gave the examiner an idea where the continuation of your answer is. For example, on page 12, you tried to answer a question but your answer exceeded the number of lines so, you can try to find a blank space in the exam paper and continue your answer with clear reference where you continued your answer.let's say that you found a blank space on page 18 and the question you are trying to answer is q.9.a so, you write in page 12 that the rest of the answer is in page 18. Somehow, a much better solution is to decrease the size of your hand writing while maintaining it's clarity.

Reaction score
if my answer exceed given lines in q
will the examiner correct it
my hard writing is big and dont fit space
I think there's nothing bad about exceeding the answer space. I have seen marked scripts, and many candidates had written their answers on blank pages at the end for some of the questions and examiners had marked those. So there's no penalty. But you must make the reference, when you do this.

Reaction score
IMAG2631.jpg

Need to draw plan diagram for the vascular bundle here...so we aren't supposed to draw individual cells in plan diagrams, then how on earth will we make the phloem?
it's monocot stem transverse under high power

Reaction score
It asks you to dilute the solution.If you remember there are two types of dilutions we've come across in paper 3.
Serial dilution and simple dilution.
Here they've given you that the total volume of the solution needs to be 50 cm^3.Do keep that in mind.
Make at least five concentrations.You could do serial dilution.
Draw a figure like you would have for paper 3.Add the concentrations and total volume for each.

Reaction score
It asks you to dilute the solution.If you remember there are two types of dilutions we've come across in paper 3.
Serial dilution and simple dilution.
Here they've given you that the total volume of the solution needs to be 50 cm^3.Do keep that in mind.
Make at least five concentrations.You could do serial dilution.
Draw a figure like you would have for paper 3.Add the concentrations and total volume for each.
okay thank u

Reaction score
ok its written in text book that tongue is covered by many papillae and each papilla has many taste buds
does each taste bud contain 5 different taste receptors

Reaction score
ok its written in text book that tongue is covered by many papillae and each papilla has many taste buds
does each taste bud contain 5 different taste receptors

Each taste bud contains 50 to 100 taste receptor cells. The sensation of taste can be categorized into five basic tastes: sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness, and umami. Taste buds are able to differentiate among different tastes through detecting interaction withdifferent molecules or ions.

Reaction score
Each taste bud contains 50 to 100 taste receptor cells. The sensation of taste can be categorized into five basic tastes: sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness, and umami. Taste buds are able to differentiate among different tastes through detecting interaction withdifferent molecules or ions.
50 to 100 taste receptor cells are for 5 tastes
5types of taste receptors but 50-100 cells in each taste bud

Reaction score
thanks for all ur help
i hope u continue ur success in higher studies