• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
When we did our bio practical paper 33, is it fine if we write the mean time in one decimal place but the recorded ones are whole numbers?

Reaction score
When we did our bio practical paper 33, is it fine if we write the mean time in one decimal place but the recorded ones are whole numbers?
all my values were written to two decimal places. i recall my teacher asking us to do so

Reaction score
Oxygen goes from the alveolar's lumen to the cytoplasm of the erythrocyte, and that's 5 membranes:

• the "top" of the alveolar epithelial cell
  • the "bottom" of such cell
  • the "top" of the endothelial cell (capillary)
  • the "bottom" of such cell
  • the erythrocyte membrane
oxygen diffuses through the cell membrane entering the cell, moves through the cytoplasm, and diffuses through the membrane again exiting the cell. So, for each cell, you have to count 2 membranes. For the last one, the erythrocyte, you have only 1 membrane (because it is O2 final destination).

Reaction score
"In this question, he said to hemoglobin .. So the minim no of cell surface membranes is 5 ..
But, if he says the minimum number to plasma .. then it’s 4 ..
Because I think there is 2% that travels in the blood plasma ..
You’ll pass along questions that the minimum no for both co2 and o2 is 4 ! This is because some travels in blood plasma not inside the rbc (hemoglobin)
But in this question he specified .. that the minimum no to hemoglobin molecule is what he wants ..
This message is to clarify any doubts you’ll pass along when solving such questions ..
One membrane has 2 phospholipids .. Sometimes he refers to cell surface membrane by saying phospholipid bilayer ..
Not just phospholipids .."
I received this answer from a teacher