• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Statistics doubt??Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
littlecloud11 syed1995
If it doesnt waste much of your time, can u draw a diag to explain the lower and upper whisker limits including lowest value, Q1, Q2,Q3, highest value and outliers?? i dnt knw what an outlier is. Your help will be highly appreciated

Reaction score
littlecloud11 syed1995
If it doesnt waste much of your time, can u draw a diag to explain the lower and upper whisker limits including lowest value, Q1, Q2,Q3, highest value and outliers?? i dnt knw what an outlier is. Your help will be highly appreciated

2VO8p.png

Reaction score
yep that's exactly what i thought :/ :(

SOMETHING USEFUL on the matter...

"You add and deduct 0.5 when ur class boundries are nt continuous.. Check the 6th question-http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...S Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w09_qp_62.pdf
Since the boundries are not continuous u take 0.5-20.5, then next one 20.5-30.5, next 30.5-40.5 and so on.. So for the 1st value u minus 0.5 and the second value add 0.5.
When it comes to the mean in grouped frequency: take the midvalue of the class boundry,and in the case of this 6th question, that is done by adding (1+21)/2 * ur frequency and do it in the same manner add ur answrs and divide by the total!"

In this case since they are continous we won't add/subtract 0.5 from it! just do (0+10)/2

Reaction score
how do we determine the outliers with the formula??? I knw 2 of dem, bt dnt knw how they're used
lower whisker limit=Q1+1.5(Q3-Q1)
upper whisker limit=Q3+1.5(Q3-Q1)
and where are the outliers??? :eek:

Dude what are you talking about?

Q1 = 1/4 * Total Frequency
Q2 = 2/4 * Total Frequency
Q3 = 3/4 * Total Frequency
Max Value is the last value of frequency
Min Value is the first value of frequency

And What we write in those places is the corresponding value of x on those frequencies.

Reaction score
Find the number of different selections of 4 letters from the 9 letters of the word HAPPINESS which contain no Ps and either one or two Ss.

How to solve this one?

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb
Can someone please tell me, how do we know when we have to use what value
eg for this qn, how do we know it's 5 rather than 4.5 rather than 4.5 etc

PS: I know HOW to solve the qn, ie the method and all, my only doubt is how do we know the value to use (as mentioned above)

Thank you :)

sorry if i m not neat.....

s11.jpeg

Reaction score
Find the number of different selections of 4 letters from the 9 letters of the word HAPPINESS which contain no Ps and either one or two Ss.

How to solve this one?

4 letters from HAINESS where 1 is already S or 2 are S.

There are 2 S and 5 other letters..

S _ _ _ or S S _ _

2C1*5C3 or 2C2*5C2

2C1*5C3 + 2C2*5C2
= 30 Ways.

Reaction score
how do we determine the outliers with the formula??? I knw 2 of dem, bt dnt knw how they're used
lower whisker limit=Q1+1.5(Q3-Q1)
upper whisker limit=Q3+1.5(Q3-Q1)
and where are the outliers??? :eek:

Screenshot - 5_18_2013 , 4_51_37 PM.jpg

Alice, you don't have to place the outliers when they ask you to plot a box-and-whisker diagram. Just put the min. max. values and Q1, Q2 and Q3.
In case, you are asked to put the outliers you show them as dots like the two above.

Reaction score
View attachment 26526

Alice, you don't have to place the outliers when they ask you to plot a box-and-whisker diagram. Just put the min. max. values and Q1, Q2 and Q3.
In case, you are asked to put the outliers you show them as dots like the two above.
thanks for letting me know... i had a question like dat in my mock, where it was asked to show outliers with stars..

Reaction score
Even i got 30. But the answer is 20.
this is how u do it....if m not mistaken
since no P's should be included but either an S or two S's u'll have to choose 4 letters from the word HAINE
first option one S should be included, so u can have options like HAIS or HINS or HNSE etc, hence number of ways would be 5C3
second option, both S's should be included, so u can have options like HASS or HISS or HNSS etc, hence choosing 4 letters u'd have 5C2
now add both u'll get ur answer as 20.
hope i was clear enough :)

syed1995 nd Champ101