• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Statistics doubt??Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
thanks but i didnt understood when we have to take constant neg and when positive n then inverse concept etc?

Just remember this..

P(x>t) = P(x<-t)
= 1-Phi(t)

And

P(x>-t) = P(x<t)
= Phi(t)

While on the right hand side if inverse of Phi is less than 0.5 (NOT ON TABLE)..

Then invPhi(0.25) = -invPhi(1-0.25) = -invPhi(0.75)

Reaction score
its a good question
one should solve this

A fair five-sided spinner has sides numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Raj spins the spinner and throws two fair
dice. He calculates his score as follows.
• If the spinner lands on an even-numbered side, Raj multiplies the two numbers showing on
the dice to get his score.
• If the spinner lands on an odd-numbered side, Raj adds the numbers showing on the dice to
get his score.
Given that Raj’s score is 12, find the probability that the spinner landed on an even-numbered side.

p ( even number and score 12) = ((2/5)*(1/9)) = 2/45
p(odd and 12) = (3/5) * (1/36) = 1/108
p(12 as score) = 29/540

p(even|12) = (2/45) / (29/540) = 24/29 .

plz tell me if i am corect.

Reaction score
c'mon .. third time I am posting :/ this
please help me with the probability part

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    418.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score

like in (z<t)=0.25, 0.25 is less than 0.5 so it wil be -fi[1-0.25] and again fi[1-0.75]

right?

can u write general rules of such type of equations plzz?

Reaction score
HI man ..
I am sorry I am not real neat with my work ..
but how I like to do these questions is by making a two way table like in the image ..
draw the table as first dice and second dice ... then inside write only what question says ! like its the lower value of the two numbers .. and also if its the same number on both dice then he writes the number on one of the dices .. sooo u just complete the table like 1,1 the answers are same so the result he wud write is 1 ,,, den 1,2 the lower result is two ! so like that we fill the table ..
then to write the probabilities we just count the number of 1'ns in the table and divide by the total number of solutions that is 36 here ! ( the total number of answers u got IN the table ) then we count 2's and write .. same way for others !!

the table wud be
11/36 , 9/36 , 7/36 , 5/36 , 3/36 , 1/36

please correct me if I am wrong .. hope I cud help :D

easy way to solve these type of question draw a probability distribution table . it will show you all 36 probabilities then all you have to do is copy and write down
thankkkss :)

Reaction score
like in (z<t)=0.25, 0.25 is less than 0.5 so it wil be -fi[1-0.25] and again fi[1-0.75]

right?

can u write general rules of such type of equations plzz?

YEAH... -fi(0.75) = fi(0.25) you got that right...

(z<t)=0.25
Phi(t)=0.25
t=invPhi(0.25)
t=-invPhi(0.75) Answer

Reaction score
Fahad has 4 different coloured pairs of shoes (white, red, blue and black), 3 different coloured pairs of jeans (blue, black and brown) and 7 different coloured tee shirts (red, orange, yellow, blue, green, white and purple).
How many different ways can Fahad arrange his 3 jeans and 7 tee shirts in a row if the two blue items are not next to each other?

I got 10!/2! - 9! , but its wrong. :/ someone please explain me this.

Reaction score
Fahad has 4 different coloured pairs of shoes (white, red, blue and black), 3 different coloured pairs of jeans (blue, black and brown) and 7 different coloured tee shirts (red, orange, yellow, blue, green, white and purple).
How many different ways can Fahad arrange his 3 jeans and 7 tee shirts in a row if the two blue items are not next to each other?

I got 10!/2! - 9! , but its wrong. :/ someone please explain me this.

that'd be wrong.. dividing by 2! since there is no repetition..

To solve this Find Together and subtract from total...

BT BJ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Total - Together
10! - (2!*8!*9)
=2903040

That the correct answer?

Reaction score
thanks a lot man!
I seriously thank you (Y) .. and the probability part is soo dayum hard no one could get it correct at the first try

Reaction score
well guys after three days of hardwork i have come to the conclusion . stats is HARD -___-

wow you worked hard to come to that conclusion? I could have told you that before :p and you wouldn't have wasted 3 days...