• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
another question,
November 2009 Paper 42 Question 2 cii) Im trying to crack it . Can you help me?
Another question:-
for Internal energy = thermal + work done on system.
So if work done is negative 30 Joules
this means k.e is = -30 joules how can k.e be negative?

Reaction score
C
another question,
Can we use work done = p x Delta V = nR x Delta T?

Reaction score
another question,
yes nov 09 qstn 2ci
work done is P delta V

Reaction score
another question,

work done negative 30 joules means that the wrk is done by the system not On the system ... therefore there is a change in internal energy ... and when work is dfone by the system internal energy is reduced . this reduction is shown by negative sign

Reaction score
work done negative 30 joules means that the wrk is done by the system not On the system ... therefore there is a change in internal energy ... and when work is dfone by the system internal energy is reduced . this reduction is shown by negative sign
I thank you for your reply, but you have not addressed my question.
I believe you will if you tell me whats wrong with c ii)

Reaction score
I thank you for your reply, but you have not addressed my question.
I believe you will if you tell me whats wrong with c ii)
i think U are aasking fr question 2 cii) here I can conclude that volume of ideal gas is drectly proportional to the temperature change (according to charles law )and temperature change is directly proportional to the change in kinetic energy.

here there is an increase in volume so will the temperature increase

wel this is only what i can conclude but not the exact change as it is also stated in the m.s that there is insufficient data fr the question part to be completed

Reaction score
June 2009 P4 Q2 a) :- Why is the rate of alpha particles seem constant?
Answer in markscheme:- half life is very long/ but when I calculate half life by ln2 / decay constant its very shoort 1.98 x19^-7...
Am I missing something? I think I am, the constant rate is Delta N / Delta t not the decay constant right?

I made the same mistake. I guess the question has nothing to do with numbers. It just asks us to "suggest" how we can assume the alpha particles to be constant (with reference to the half-life).

That's what I think.
Anybody with a better explanation?!

Reaction score
i think U are aasking fr question 2 cii) here I can conclude that volume of ideal gas is drectly proportional to the temperature change (according to charles law )and temperature change is directly proportional to the change in kinetic energy.

here there is an increase in volume so will the temperature increase
then why is insufficient information quoted in the marking scheme? what is not there?
Question is :- I used the same formula, but what IF i used work done = P x Delta V = n x R x Delta T
The formula we are using is P x Delta V = - work done = decrease in internal energy = decrease in k.e = 3/2 Nx k x T = 3/2 n x R x Delta T
Whats going wrong here?

Reaction score
then why is insufficient information quoted in the marking scheme? what is not there?
Question is :- I used the same formula, but what IF i used work done = P x Delta V = n x R x Delta T
The formula we are using is P x Delta V = - work done = decrease in internal energy = decrease in k.e = 3/2 Nx k x T = 3/2 n x R x Delta T
Whats going wrong here?

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w11_qp_42.pdf
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w11_ms_42.pdf

question 4 a ii) please can U explain how can we deduce the ans????

Reaction score
Was thinking about it to, still didnt get to it, but what I think is that since the electric field lines of SIMILAR charges are in opposite directions, then the sum of electric field strengths has to be zero at some point which is show on the graph. But if they are opposite charges, the electric field strength is the sum of both at that point which have the same firection. So if the charges are opposite , then the electric field strength can never be zero between both of them!
Tell me if you agree?

Reaction score
Was thinking about it to, still didnt get to it, but what I think is that since the electric field lines of SIMILAR charges are in opposite directions, then the sum of electric field strengths has to be zero at some point which is show on the graph. But if they are opposite charges, the electric field strength is the sum of both at that point which have the same firection. So if the charges are opposite , then the electric field strength can never be zero between both of them!
Tell me if you agree?

yes I wil go with u, that sum of electric fields are zero at some point, shown on the graph ... so same charges are there ..

same thing is mentioned in ms too. and yes if seen diagramaticaly same charges have a neutral point (y)

Reaction score
Help:

The specific impedance of fat, muscle and bone are 1.4x10^6 , 1.6x10^6, and 6.5x10^6 respectively. The linear absorption coefficients in fat and in muscle are 0.24 cm-1 and 0.23cm-1 respectively.
Discuss quantitatively, in terms of I, the reflection and the transmission of the beam of ultrasound as it passes through the layer of fat of thickness 4mm, into the muscle of thickness 43.5mm and finally into the bone.

In terms of I
a) Incident on fat-muscle boundary
b) transmitted through fat/muscle boundary
c) received at muscle-bone boundary
d) transmitted into bone

Reaction score
Help:

The specific impedance of fat, muscle and bone are 1.4x10^6 , 1.6x10^6, and 6.5x10^6 respectively. The linear absorption coefficients in fat and in muscle are 0.24 cm-1 and 0.23cm-1 respectively.
Discuss quantitatively, in terms of I, the reflection and the transmission of the beam of ultrasound as it passes through the layer of fat of thickness 4mm, into the muscle of thickness 43.5mm and finally into the bone.

In terms of I
a) Incident on fat-muscle boundary
b) transmitted through fat/muscle boundary
c) received at muscle-bone boundary
d) transmitted into bone

A) = I e^-ux = I e^-(0.24)(0.4) = 0.9I

B) I (transmitted) = I (incident) - I (reflected)
I (transmitted) = 0.9I - ((Z2 - Z1) ^2 )/(Z2+Z1) ^2)) I
I (transmitted) = 0.9I - ((1.6-1.4) ^2)/(1.6+1.4) ^2)) I
So, I (transmitted) = 0.9I - (1/225) I = 0.896 I
Which is again, almost equal to 0.9I

C) = (0.896)I e^-ux = I e^-(0.23)(4.35) = 0.37 (0.896)I = 0.33I

D) I (transmitted) = I (incident) - I (reflected)
I (transmitted) = 0.33I - ((Z2 - Z1) ^2 )/(Z2+Z1) ^2)) I
I (transmitted) = 0.33I - ((6.5-1.6) ^2)/(6.5+1.6) ^2)) I
So, I (transmitted) = 0.33I - 0.37 I = -0.04I
Which is almost equal to 0 I.

Maybe the significant digits aren't exactly equal, but the process should be correct

Reaction score
yes I wil go with u, that sum of electric fields are zero at some point, shown on the graph ... so same charges are there ..

same thing is mentioned in ms too. and yes if seen diagramaticaly same charges have a neutral point (y)
yay!
But pleaase do help me crack Nov 09 P42 Question 2 c ii)
I cant seem to figure out why this question was omitted.
Plus Im confused of which way to solve it. By charle's law, volume increase hence temperature increases.
But by first law of thermodynamics , work is done by gas hence internal energy decreases, hence kinetic energy decreases so temperature decreases.
This is a bit confusing?

Reaction score
change in k.e is equal to change in internal energy for ideal gas....ain't it?
that is correct, but I kind of have a similar problem if you notice Nov 09 P 42 Q 2 cii)
But when it asks for work done, just use P x delta V.
as for the other part, im not sure.
P.S:- your diode graphs you showed were incorrect for full wave rectification.