• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
Hey guys please help me solve this question of MAY/JUNE 2008 Q8 part a and b.... I have partially done part b by the formula e=mc2 but can't figure out how to convert the energy into M.E.V

Reaction score
Hey guys please help me solve this question of MAY/JUNE 2008 Q8 part a and b.... I have partially done part b by the formula e=mc2 but can't figure out how to convert the energy into M.E.V
1eV = 1.6 x 10^-19
1MeV = 1.6 x 10^-19 x 10^6 = 1.6 x 10^-13 J

divide the value in joules by this number...and you'll get it in MeV

P.S. I didn't check the question exactly :D

Reaction score

a) Ah, the monstrous question! I just asked my teacher few days ago.
This question is about the conservation of momentum.

In question, it says that the kinetic energies of positron and electron are negliblie initially. So, v should be zero (almost).
So, we know that initial momentum is zero.
Conservation of momentum says that initial momentum is equal to final momentum.
Therefore final momentum must also be zero.
So, each of these photons are moving with the same magnitude of momentum, but towards opposite directions.(making total momentum zero)
Since momentum is equal, and m of the photons is equal, p=mv, v should also be equal
therefore, kinetic energy is also equal.

Reaction score
aoa wr wb!
umm i didnt get this... :unsure:
If you arre the poles, this means that you are on the centre of rotation. For example, if you rotate around your self, you are on the axis of rotation. What is your centripetal force? its zero because centripetal force is M x R ( from centre ) x omega square. Since R is zero, the force is zero.
When you are at the poles, there is a graviattional force downwards, since centripetal force is zero, normal force is equal to weight
When you are at the equator, there is ur weight towards the Earth and a normal force. Centripetal force is not zero so normal force is less than weight!

Reaction score
If you arre the poles, this means that you are on the centre of rotation. For example, if you rotate around your self, you are on the axis of rotation. What is your centripetal force? its zero because centripetal force is M x R ( from centre ) x omega square. Since R is zero, the force is zero.
When you are at the poles, there is a graviattional force downwards, since centripetal force is zero, normal force is equal to weight
When you are at the equator, there is ur weight towards the Earth and a normal force. Centripetal force is not zero so normal force is less than weight!
jazakAllah khairen... (y) i think i get some idea now..

P.S. need help with applications :( i got not much time left...and i dont know what to do...any help?

Reaction score
jazakAllah khairen... (y) i think i get some idea now..

P.S. need help with applications :( i got not much time left...and i dont know what to do...any help?
The application booklet is the best source there is. Because its prepared by examiners. Its only 43 pages. 10 pages per hour, you will be done withh all chapter of applications today!
Any problems you got please do post them or inbox me!

Reaction score
a) Ah, the monstrous question! I just asked my teacher few days ago.
This question is about the conservation of momentum.

In question, it says that the kinetic energies of positron and electron are negliblie initially. So, v should be zero (almost).
So, we know that initial momentum is zero.
Conservation of momentum says that initial momentum is equal to final momentum.
Therefore final momentum must also be zero.
So, each of these photons are moving with the same magnitude of momentum, but towards opposite directions.(making total momentum zero)
Since momentum is equal, and m of the photons is equal, p=mv, v should also be equal
therefore, kinetic energy is also equal.
Yayyyyy!!! You made it so easy! Thanks!

Reaction score
I am having a problem in finding the frequency in Q11(ii) MAY/JUNE 2008. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
The application booklet is the best source there is. Because its prepared by examiners. Its only 43 pages. 10 pages per hour, you will be done withh all chapter of applications today!
Any problems you got please do post them or inbox me!
will try that inshaAllah..
P.S. Please note, there's a mistake in that mri part...it uses hydrogen 'atom' when it should be hydrogen 'nuclei'. ms says reject atoms, i dont know why do they then mention so in the booklet :/

anyways make sure u know that

Reaction score
P.S. Please note, there's a mistake in that mri part...it uses hydrogen 'atom' when it should be hydrogen 'nuclei'. ms says reject atoms, i dont know why do they then mention so in the booklet :/

Applications portion is better explained in Chris Mee book, although mostly the matter is the same!

Reaction score
I am having a problem in finding the frequency in Q11(ii) MAY/JUNE 2008. Can anyone help?
Assalamoaalikum wr wb!
Check attached..this might help...this is what helped me actually ....

Attachments

• Amplitude Modulation.doc
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Applications portion is better explained in Chris Mee book, although mostly the matter is the same!
I know right.... (y)
It's like you just read that...cuz it has almost the same things, with additions where application booklet is not clear enough...plus the mistake i mentioned above isn't there in that book..while the whole para is exactly the same, it uses 'nuclei' and not 'atoms' ;)

Reaction score

yup! hydrogen nuclei or "protons" :)
Thank you for the concern, brother :)

Reaction score

For these sort of questions, I basically have a few rules after practising with them for a while :

For frequency modulated waves,
Rule 1 - Maximum frequency = Carrier frequency + (amplitude of signal wave)*(frequency deviation)
As I come to think of it, it suits the definition of frequency modulation. Which states that the carrier wave frequency is varied according to the displacement of the signal wave.
Similarly, *** Min freq = Carrier freq - Xo*frequency deviation***

Rule 2 - Frequency of Max freq. ---> Min freq. ---> Max freq. depends on the frequency of the signal wave.

Just try using these rules.

Reaction score
o/n 2010 Q2iii...pls help...
p41/42/43 ???

I'm guessing 41 & 42. cuz 43 doesn't have a 2 iii lol

So, why is internal energy directly proportional to the temperature?

u = k.e. + p.e.
but we assume that there are no intermolecular forces in ideal gases, hence p.e. = 0
u = k.e
but according to ideal gas equations, we can deduce that k.e. = (3/2) kT (where k is the Boltzman's constant)

So, u = (3/2)kT