• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
Assuming that the Earth is a uniform sphere of radius 6.4 x 106 m and mass 6.0 x 1024 kg, find the gravitational field strength g at a point:
(b) at height 0.50 times the radius of above the Earth's surface.​
g = GM / r2 = (6.67 × 10-11)(6.0 x 1024) / ( (1.5 × 6.4 x 106)2 = 4.34ms-2
this example I found in the revision section of this site ermmm could someone explain me why do we multiply the radius of earth with 1.5 but not 0.5 mmmm confused ?o_O anyone ?

Like me if u understood.
It is 0.5 times the radius ABOVEE THE earth's SURFACE. so it is the RADIUS + 0.5RADIUS = 1.5 radius

Reaction score
Can someone elxplain this :(

Example 1:
A ship is at rest on the Earth's equator. Assuming the earth to be a perfect sphere of radius R and the acceleration due to gravity at the poles is go, express its apparent weight, N, of a body of mass m in terms of m, go, R and T (the period of the earth's rotation about its axis, which is one day).
At the North Pole, the gravitational attraction is F = GMEm / R2 = mgo
At the equator,
Normal Reaction Force on ship by Earth = Gravitational attraction - centripetal force
N = mgo – mRω2= mgo – mR (2π / T)2

Reaction score
Can someone elxplain this :(

Example 1:
A ship is at rest on the Earth's equator. Assuming the earth to be a perfect sphere of radius R and the acceleration due to gravity at the poles is go, express its apparent weight, N, of a body of mass m in terms of m, go, R and T (the period of the earth's rotation about its axis, which is one day).
At the North Pole, the gravitational attraction is F = GMEm / R2 = mgo
At the equator,​
Normal Reaction Force on ship by Earth = Gravitational attraction - centripetal force
N = mgo – mRω2= mgo – mR (2π / T)2
At the poles there is no centripetal force as it rotates about Earth's axis so the radius of rotation is zero. so ther is only gravitaional force: F = GMEm / R2 = mgo
At the Equator, there are both Centripetal and Gravitational forces. But since the Gravitational force is greater the resulta nt is the Normal reaction with is outwards.
The Centripetal force is less as the Earth travels with very small speed and since Fc= (mv*2)/r , Fc will be small.
Hope this will help.

Reaction score

Aoa wr wb!
the answer to that question from the redspot..: [and this is supposed to be correct cuz a teacher has confirmed it...]

June 2002 Q6 a.JPG
June 2002 Q6 a explanation.JPG

Now tell me if you can understand something from this..
i dont get it.... :confused:

Reaction score
Oh right! I think I get it. Also, I know this may sound stupid, but for the same question, they said:
- water vapour volume = 2.96 × 10^–2 m3
- volume occupied by liquid water at 100 °C is 1.87 × 10^–5 m3

So, how would the change in volume (dV) = 2.96 × 10^–2 - 1.87 × 10^–5 ?

I do not quite get ur question here. The dV is positive. And, because W = -P (dV). The total work done is negative.