• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ANSWERING ALL BIO/CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBTS :)

Reaction score
It's obvious that this reaction is not a redox reaction…And that's why the oxidation state of the CHROMIUM doesn't change…If it was about te chromate then the oxidation state will also be -2 in both cases…THE PH OF the mixture increases since excess alkali is added…
Thanks mahn..

Reaction score
NOV 08 PAPER 1 QUESTION 13
You should already know that the electrolysis of any aquesous solution (except Copper) doesn't produce the metal at the cathode.Instead,hydrogen gas is produced.Since the question stated that it is extracted by electrolysis,therefor the only two available are molten sodium bromide and molten lead bromide.Since,it is low in the reactivity series then it is obviously lead.
salvatore Anytime :)

Reaction score
Hi ok my doubt is june 2004 question 30.

The answer is C.

I don't understand how the answer is obtained as we are not told what they're seperating.... pls can u explain this to me? Thanks a lot ;)

Also, what is the distillate? Is it water?

Also the same paper question 36. The answer is D. How and why lol ;/ Thanks

Reaction score
Hi ok my doubt is june 2004 question 30.

The answer is C.

I don't understand how the answer is obtained as we are not told what they're seperating.... pls can u explain this to me? Thanks a lot ;)

Also, what is the distillate? Is it water?

Also the same paper question 36. The answer is D. How and why lol ;/ Thanks

Q: 30 - The Ph of the solution left in the flask is alkali , so eventually it will have a high pH . COMPARED to the distillate which is on the other side it is higher . And you know that the only way to Separate The Na from NAOH is by electrolysis . So it seems we are separating the water . So it will be lower . According to my way of thinking .... still you could have another point of view.
Q-36 When you decompose any carbonate you get a metal oxide and carbon dioxide . So here ... Calcium carbonate is decomposed to calcium oxide and carbon dioxide .

Reaction score
th
Q: 30 - The Ph of the solution left in the flask is alkali , so eventually it will have a high pH . COMPARED to the distillate which is on the other side it is higher . And you know that the only way to Separate The Na from NAOH is by electrolysis . So it seems we are separating the water . So it will be lower . According to my way of thinking .... still you could have another point of view.
Q-36 When you decompose any carbonate you get a metal oxide and carbon dioxide . So here ... Calcium carbonate is decomposed to calcium oxide and carbon dioxide .

thank you very veyr muchhh!!!

Reaction score
I practiced many papers and I always get 29 and 28 only. {FAIL ME} :notworthy:

I want someone to explain me those in detail please...? :cry::cry:

1) From May/June 2004 (Question 11 and 32).

2) From October/November 2007 (question 5, 15, 25, 28 and 34) .

3) From May/June 2007 (Question 15 , 18 and 17).

4) From October/November 2006 (Question 2 and 28).

5) From May/June 2006 (Questions 34 and 39).

Reaction score
I practiced many papers and I always get 29 and 28 only. {FAIL ME} :notworthy:

I want someone to explain me those in detail please...? :cry::cry:

1) From May/June 2004 (Question 11 and 32).

2) From October/November 2007 (question 5, 15, 25, 28 and 34) .

3) From May/June 2007 (Question 15 , 18 and 17).

4) From October/November 2006 (Question 2 and 28).

5) From May/June 2006 (Questions 34 and 39).
which subject? chem or bio?

Reaction score