• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

anyone who scored an A* in engish

Reaction score
instead of ryting dat u need help it'd b better to ryt wat u're stuck at and anyone who'd noe the solution wud readily help.

Reaction score
well can anyone please give me sample narrative and descriptive essays and i wanted to ask how to score an A*.. though i have good english but yet i am a bit nervous as i percieve that to score an A* in english is something close to impossible.. help me out guys

Reaction score
A* in English is about practice. But before u do that u need to learn how to implement your language skills on the paper.

Get ur hands in the 'cambridge o level english revision guide'

Then simply practice past papers and keep a habit of reading some english newspaper it keeps ur vocabulary and tone updated.

Reaction score
Go for narrative only, descriptive reduces chances of getting a high score due to it's highly proficient language demand.

Redspot solved papers have the narratives. There's another redspot book as well for the essays.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
A common suggestion that works for most of the students in English Language is reading novels. Read a bunch of some old British Novels: Dickens, Shakespeare, Hardy etc. Keep a dictionary at hand and look up every new word you encounter that you don't know. After a couple of dozens of those 'motay' novels, you will be writing like Paulo Coelho!
If you can do this ^, then go ahead, it's a great experience!

Another suggestion, which worked for me quite fine, is reading newspapers - of course not the boring reports, but those intellectually stimulating magazines in them. And of course, ^ ^ that dictionary should be your friend here as well.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I would suggest to get hold of ''Readers' Digest.'' It provides interesting stories narrated by people through out Asia . Additionally it has a vocabulary section in which the reader can test his vocabulary by guessing the meaning of different words. Don't go for the new ones as they are very expensive. The flashy cover doesn't matter but the material inside does. Go to any bookstore and i guess you can get 7-8 Digests in Rs.100! Plus keep a check on Newspapers , they prove helpful.

Reaction score
attempt the story part.write correct english and no gramatical mistakes and a decent story can get u an A* easily.it worked for me.dont go for the argumentative or descriptive as for descriptive u need a good vocabulary so its risky.

Reaction score
Nibz said:
A common suggestion that works for most of the students in English Language is reading novels. Read a bunch of some old British Novels: Dickens, Shakespeare, Hardy etc. Keep a dictionary at hand and look up every new word you encounter that you don't know. After a couple of dozens of those 'motay' novels, you will be writing like Paulo Coelho!
Hahaha! Do this at your own risk. :p
If you ask me, don't read old British novels unless you're a literature student. A good reading habit is essential for getting a command over the English language. Articles and interesting short stories/books would work just fine. Good luck! :D

Reaction score
I have an A* in English Language...PM me
dont know when i visit this place again...
my PM box is linked with my gmail

Reaction score
excellent approach is reading novels as mentioned above....it strengthens all of your english skills

Reaction score
Nibz said:

Another suggestion, which worked for me quite fine, is reading newspapers - of course not the boring reports, but those intellectually stimulating magazines in them. And of course, ^ ^ that dictionary should be your friend here as well.

Good luck!

which novels would help us most probably in english??

Reaction score
Nibz said:

Good luck!

can u suggest some novels that would most probably help in improving our english??

Reaction score
Read anything you find interesting. That includes articles and short stories as novels may get time-consuming.
You should check out Dan Brown's novels. They're absorbing + an effective means of improving your language skills.