• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry P2 Prep.

Reaction score
What is the use of the heat exchanger in the Haber Process in the N02 marking scheme?

Reaction score
Did I just read reflux means really strong heating? Guyz, no!

Reflux is when you have to distill something off before the reaction proceeds. FOr instance, while oxidizing an alcohol to get an aldehyde and not an acid,
one should reflux the aldehyde as it is formed so that it doesn't stay in there with the agent and get oxidized further.
Similarly, here, for conversion of nitriles to -COOH acids, you gotta reflux the acid as it's formed!

Reaction score

Reflux is when you have to distill something off before the reaction proceeds. FOr instance, while oxidizing an alcohol to get an aldehyde and not an acid,
one should reflux the aldehyde as it is formed so that it doesn't stay in there with the agent and get oxidized further.
Similarly, here, for conversion of nitriles to -COOH acids, you gotta reflux the acid as it's formed!
sorry
i m probably mistaken..thnx 4 the info...never knew that...

Reaction score
2 lone pairs :)

Sulfur dioxide has two bond pairs, one lone pair and one dative covalent bond.

SO2.gif

2 bond pairs and 1 lone pair; that makes it bent at 117 degrees... I think.

Reaction score

sorry but either u understood it wrong or u wrote it wrong. reflux, i simple words means heating under pressure. for oxidation of alcohol, reflux produces ann ACID!! for aldehyde u have to heat it and distill off the product as soon as it is formed.
this is the definition:
To boil (a liquid) in a vessel attached to a condenser so that the vapors continuously condense for reboiling.