• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Physics P1 MCQs Preparation Thread.

Jaf

Reaction score
physics: nov 11, paper 12, q.10.
plz help
B. Consider the momentum of the sand+car as a whole. Also, consider Newton's first law with regard to the car. There's no accelerating force acting on the car at Y so it can not gain speed.

Reaction score
a ball is falling freely under gravity how much distance it falls during an intreval of time between 1st and 2nd seconds of it motion, taking G= 10
a)10
b)15
c)20
d)25

Jaf

Reaction score
PLz can any body explain me OctNov 2002
MCQ13/15/17/31/36
13 - C
Condition for a couple is that the 2 forces should be equal and acting in opposite, parallel directions.

15 - A
You need to compare the lengths here and see which forces produce a closed triangle.

17 - D
Since the speed remains the same, the KE remains the same. Change in KE is zero.

31 - D
The resistance of a filament lamp increase with rise in temperature.

36 - A
The pd across the 2 resistors in the upper loop is 4/3 V. The pd across the resistor in the lower loop is 2/3 V. Difference is 2/3 A.

Jaf

Reaction score
a ball is falling freely under gravity how much distance it falls during an intreval of time between 1st and 2nd seconds of it motion, taking G= 10
a)10
b)15
c)20
d)25
From rest?

Reaction score
An Olympic athelete of mass 80kg competes in a 100m race
what is the best estimate of his mean KE durind race?
may/june 05 question 2
A 400 j B 4000 C 40000 D 400000

Can you tell me which formula is used here to solve this

Reaction score
for Q 18..it is D, you must get the first acceleration using Vsquared=2as...so a=5...then using the same equation you substitute the a and get the distance which is 90
for Q 40..its D he said the up one is 2/3...and the down one is -1/3...if u add them ull get 1/3..so 1 proton - 1/3 = 2/3..so we need 2 up quarks (2/3) and one down quark (-1/3)
i cant help in the others

Reaction score
An Olympic athelete of mass 80kg competes in a 100m race
what is the best estimate of his mean KE durind race?
may/june 05 question 2
A 400 j B 4000 C 40000 D 400000

Can you tell me which formula is used here to solve this
KE
take speed as 10ms-1 (assume he runs 100m in 10s)
den 0.5*80*10^2= 4000j
wats da answer is it B?

Reaction score
okay im telling u the ones i understooad at the moment.. see in 4 its simple. systematic error is due to faulty apparatus. ONLY random error can be removed through averaging. therefore A is the ans.
in 8 youve to integrate the graph. as integral of velocity is displacement.
in 15..it cant be B and D because weight wont change. upthrust due to pressure difference. hence ans A.
in 40.. see you should knw the charge of a protn is same as that of electron. so you"ve to see which option gives 1.6 x 10^-19. and thats D.

Reaction score
okay im telling u the ones i understooad at the moment.. see in 4 its simple. systematic error is due to faulty apparatus. ONLY random error can be removed through averaging. therefore A is the ans.
in 8 youve to integrate the graph. as integral of velocity is displacement.
in 15..it cant be B and D because weight wont change. upthrust due to pressure difference. hence ans A.
in 40.. see you should knw the charge of a protn is same as that of electron. so you"ve to see which option gives 1.6 x 10^-19. and thats D.

in 8 why not D why C ?
in 15 can u explain the orange part.... i mean yes upthrust is due to pressure diff. but so.....? abit explaination needed :)

THANKS ALOT :)

Reaction score
Alright so erm can we start with June 2002?

Attachments

• 9702_s02_qp_1.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 9702_s02_er.pdf
    102.8 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score

4: A should be the answer. Zero error is a systematic error. Systematic errors are permanent errors due to the system/instrument etc. used which cause readings to deviate to one side from the actual value. A zero error in the Ammeter would cause all the readings to deviate to one side; all other options involve the reduction of random error.

8: With velocity increasing constantly with time; the increase in displacement would increase per unit time as well. So the first part of the D-t graph should be curved. Then velocity becomes constant (note that the object is still moving with uniform velocity!) so the displacement/time should become constant (velocity = displacement/time). Then, the velocity is decreasing constantly, but the object is still moving forward; so the third part of the graph should look like increasing displacement but at a slower rate. Therefore, C should be your answer.

15: A should be your answer. Air resistance increases during free fall. The weight of the object isn't going anywhere - if that were the case, lots of girls would be jumping off high-rise buildings. The resultant force decreases, during free fall, as the increasing air resistance cancels out the weight.

You get only three, because you were impatient. Now weight a few minutes I'll type out the answers for the rest.

Reaction score

20: ... This involves Math. I severely dislike Math. I'll come back to this later when I have a notebook.

22: Calculate the spring constant of each spring. When a weight of W is applied, each spring gets W/3 of the load. The extension is x. Using Hooke's Law:

F = kx
k = F/x
k = (W/3)/x.

The spring constant, will, of course, remain the same no matter how many ways you attach it. With one spring removed, and a load of 2W, once again, you are asked for the extension. When the total load is 2W, each spring would get W. Once again use Hooke's Law:

F = kx
x = F/k
x = W/([W/3]/x)
=>x = 3x.

D is your answer.

40: This is tricky, but it has to be the easiest question in the whole paper. If the elementary charge is e, and the 'up' quark has a charge of 2/3e this means that 2 out of 3 parts of a charge are 'up' quarks. Similarly, the 'down' quark has a charge of 1/3e (ignore the sign; its negative just because its 'down' - doesn't really matter here), so that means that 1 out of 3 parts of a charge are 'down' quarks. So D is your answer.

Hope that helps insha' Allah!