• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Physics P1 MCQs Preparation Thread.

Reaction score

And finally, 20. Now this has to be the toughest question in the whole paper; I still haven't actually figured it out. But from what I understand; the boy applies a pressure which is a tenth of the atmospheric pressure atop the straw.

Which means that p0/10 is the pressure applied. You have to find the length of straw; basically, the h. And the density of the liquid to be pulled up is ρ. So...

p0/10 = ρgh.
h = p0/ρg10.

So the answer should be A... hey, that works! Figured it out, Al-Hamdulillah.

Reaction score
22: Calculate the spring constant of each spring. When a weight of W is applied, each spring gets W/3 of the load. The extension is x. Using Hooke's Law:

F = kx
k = F/x
k = (W/3)/x.

The spring constant, will, of course, remain the same no matter how many ways you attach it. With one spring removed, and a load of 2W, once again, you are asked for the extension. When the total load is 2W, each spring would get W. Once again use Hooke's Law:

F = kx
x = F/k
x = W/([W/3]/x)
=>x = 3x.

D is your answer.

Hope that helps insha' Allah!

JazakAllah bro :) one thing: the highlighted purple part : what if the springs were in series?

Reaction score
JazakAllah bro :) one thing: the highlighted purple part : what if the springs were in series?

Parallel resistors are current dividers - series resistors have the same current.

Parallel springs are load dividers - series springs have the same load.

... I think. I sorta... forgot... how the series thing... works... :oops: But I'm pretty sure that's how it was... sorta.

Reaction score
13 - C
Condition for a couple is that the 2 forces should be equal and acting in opposite, parallel directions.

15 - A
You need to compare the lengths here and see which forces produce a closed triangle.

17 - D
Since the speed remains the same, the KE remains the same. Change in KE is zero.

31 - D
The resistance of a filament lamp increase with rise in temperature.

36 - A
The pd across the 2 resistors in the upper loop is 4/3 V. The pd across the resistor in the lower loop is 2/3 V. Difference is 2/3 A.
thak u very much

Reaction score
Q6; P=I^2/R
%age uncertanity in P = 2*(%age uncertanity in I) + %age uncertanity in R)
= 2*((0.05/2.50)*100) + 2
=6% ( C )

Q17; K.E=0.5*m*v^2
Let
K.E of Y=0.5mv^2
for Y having mass=m speed=v
Then
K.E of X=0.5*(2*m)*(v/2)^2
=0.5*2m*(v/4)
=0.5*m*v/2
=0.25*m*v
Therefore
K.E of Y = 0.5 the K.E of X ( A )

Q26; Intensity=E
E is directly proportional to A^2
so E will increase 4 times when amplitude A is increased to 2A but the surface area is halved so E will become 2E when amplitude is increased to 2A and surface area is decreased to 0.5S ( B )

Q31; I=nAve
as the wire used are made from the same material so n,v,e will be canceled in the ratio
(I in P)/(I in Q)=(area of P)/(area of Q)
=4 ( D )

Hope you understand it...............(y)

Reaction score
is it always 10??? btw thnx

The 10s time estimate is a bit of general knowledge if you watch sports.
You could always work backwards by calculating the speed of the sprinter in all 4 choices. In A his speed would be too slow because it's jogging speed. C and D are too fast for any human to run. So B becomes the best estimate of his KE/speed.

Reaction score
Travelling waves of wavelength 20 cm are created in the air columns in a closed pipe P and an
open pipe Q.In which pipe or pipes are stationary waves formed?
Answer was both P and Q. How is it Q, if it is open at both ends?? How can STATIONARY wave be formed if there is no superimposing of the waves???

Reaction score
And finally, 20. Now this has to be the toughest question in the whole paper; I still haven't actually figured it out. But from what I understand; the boy applies a pressure which is a tenth of the atmospheric pressure atop the straw.

Which means that p0/10 is the pressure applied. You have to find the length of straw; basically, the h. And the density of the liquid to be pulled up is ρ. So...

p0/10 = ρgh.
h = p0/ρg10.

So the answer should be A... hey, that works! Figured it out, Al-Hamdulillah.
WHy is it p0/10 and not 10/p0

Reaction score
can u provide me exact link?? i cant find october 2002 physics paper 1 marking scheme!
I'm sorry, i didnt check b4 i posted da link.That mark scheme doesnt seem to be available in that site as well as other sites i checked,I'm sorry.

Reaction score
Q26; Intensity=E
E is directly proportional to A^2
so E will increase 4 times when amplitude A is increased to 2A but the surface area is halved so E will become 2E when amplitude is increased to 2A and surface area is decreased to 0.5S ( B )

Q31; I=nAve
as the wire used are made from the same material so n,v,e will be canceled in the ratio
(I in P)/(I in Q)=(area of P)/(area of Q)
=4 ( D )

Hope you understand it...............(y)

THANKS ALOT :) .... just need lil bit more explanations on these :) thanks again :)

Reaction score
calculating the mass of the liquid,
it is (70 - 20) +/- (1+1)
= 50 +/- 2 [uncertainties are added because it is addition we are doing]

now density is mass / volume that means in this absolute uncertainties of mass and volume will be added

so
absolute uncertainty in density = absolute uncertainty in mass + absolute uncertainty in volume
absolute uncertainty in density = ( 2/50 ) + ( 0.6/10 )
absolute uncertainty in density = 0.10

uncertainty = absolute uncertainty * real value
uncertainty = 0.10 * 5 = 0.5

So, B is the answer!

Reaction score
calculating the mass of the liquid,
it is (70 - 20) +/- (1+1)
= 50 +/- 2 [uncertainties are added because it is addition we are doing]

now density is mass / volume that means in this absolute uncertainties of mass and volume will be added

so
absolute uncertainty in density = absolute uncertainty in mass + absolute uncertainty in volume
absolute uncertainty in density = ( 2/50 ) + ( 0.6/10 )
absolute uncertainty in density = 0.10

uncertainty = absolute uncertainty * real value
uncertainty = 0.10 * 5 = 0.5

So, B is the answer!
How is the real value 5?