• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BAN MUSIC CAMPAIGN - For Muslim brothers and sisters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yes, I do agree but beside listening to such songs we can listen those which does not contain offensive language as I have never listened or played such songs...Even since 4-5 years I've not heard songs...actually when I used to attend an event...there they use to play music...only I have listened that songs ever in my life :) actually I not either on both sides...if any song contains offensive language it's haram...But if it does not...like I read many Fatwa's and lectures on music...and finally came to conclusion...untill or unless the lyrics does not go out of the limits laid by Quran, nor it contains offensive language..nor romance and etc and all the music played in club and disco's and songs which gives u a bad feeling It's haraam. But if it contains Praises to Allah, teaches u about our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (sallallu alayhi wasallam)...there's noting harm in it...Hadith which declares music as haram are about 80 as I read anywhere but more or about 70 hadith are fabricated among them...even Allah says that music which takes u away from performing ur obligatory duties and takes u away from Allah are haram. I think U may understand. It's ur wish what u want to do my duty was to share what I think..not forcing you :)
I have same point of u like urs :), I agree with u

N.M

Reaction score
I read parts of that article and I still don't strongly agree that music is haraam. I don't see any solid evidence except for the hadith mentioned in which music is mentioned with other sinful acts such as alcohol and zinaa.
Other sources I read from, they were mostly interpretations or ahadith that were not saheeh ( authentic ).
Although I heard Dr. Zakir Naik's talk about this topic. He mentioned evidences , some of which were in support of music and some were not. And there was a hadith in which Hazrat Muhammad(S.A.W.S. ) and Hazrat Aisha(R.A. ) were together in the house and were listening to some people ( girls if I remember right ) who were singing. After sometime, Hazrat Muhammad(S.A.W.S. ) asked Hazrat Aisha(R.A.) something like this: Are you pleased enough?? When she(R.A. ) replied in the affirmittive, Hazrat Muhammad(S.A.W.S. ) and Hazrat Aisha(R.A. ) both went in.
There was also a hadith in which on the Eid day, girls were singing outside the house and Hazrat Abu Bakr(R.A.) was angered at them. But Hazrat Muhammad (S.A.W.S. ) told him like to let them sing, it's the day of Eid.
These two hadiths are not word to word but I'm telling the summary of what I remember.
I still don't know whether music is haram. Although I remember that in Dr. Zakir Naik's video about music, he mentioned that playing tambourine is halal.
And there was another hadith in which some people were singing a song about the Prophet Muhammad(S.A.W.S.) about him(S.A.W.S.) and in it a lyric came like teller of the future, or knower of the future. On that Hazrat Muhammad(S.A.W.S.) told them like to cancel that lyric and carry on.
And that's if I remember right...

Some ppl use as evidence the hadeeth about the singing of the two young girls, but I will quote what Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, because it is valuable:

“I am amazed that you quote as evidence for allowing listening to sophisticated songs the report which mentioned about how two young girls who were below the age of puberty sang to a young woman on the day of Eid some verses of Arab poetry about bravery in war and other noble characteristics. How can you compare this to that? What is strange is that this hadeeth is one of the strongest proofs against them. The greatest speaker of the truth [Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq] called them musical instruments of the Shaytaan, and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) approved of that appellation, but he made an exception in the case of these two young girls who had not yet reached the age of responsibility and the words of whose songs could not corrupt anyone who listened to them. Can this be used as evidence to allow what you do and what you know of listening (to music) which includes (bad) things which are not hidden?! Subhaan Allaah! How people can be led astray! (Madaarij al-Saalikeen, 1/493).

In Addition to this, those girls were only singing and no where does it mentions about the musical instruments being used while singing.So how can it be used as an evidence for Music being allowed in Islam?

Shaykh al-Albaani explained this in his valuable book Tahreem Aalaat al-Tarab (the Prohibition of Musical Instruments). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) approved of young girls singing at Eid, as stated in the hadeeth: “So that the mushrikeen will know that in our religionthere is room for relaxation.” There is no indication in the hadeeth about the two young girls that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was listening to them. The commands and prohibitions have to do with listening, not merely hearing, just as in the case of seeing, the rules have to do with intentionally looking and not what happens by accident.

As for the the girls singing “tala al badru alaina ….” Shiekh Albani states the narration to be deaf (weak). But since it narration of this comes repeatedly, therefore it is often mentioned in the books of seerah. Supported by the evidence that young girls who have not yet reached puberty, were singing it and also that the poetry itself is not corrupt i.e containing indecent verses, nor any musical instrument was used except for duff, which permitted in Sharee’ah on some occasions.(For detailed ruling on playing of duff plz refer http://islamqa.info/en/ref/20406 )

Please note that Sharee‘ah forbids the kind of duff that has jangling pieces of metal around it (i.e., tambourine), because the jangling pieces make more of a stirring sound than the duff that does not have them.

The daff is the least stirring of all musical instruments, hence sharee‘ah has permitted it in some cases, because of the interests served by that, such as announcing a wedding and making it well known among the people

And please refrain from using phrases like " i think..." in religious issues, cuz there is nothing as i think, everything is mentioned in Quran and Hadis, and also the knowledgeable scholars have explained it. Khallaas. It might be the case that we might not understand a few things but then after referring to Quran and Hadis everything will be cleared InshaAllah

N.M

Reaction score
Yes, I do agree but beside listening to such songs we can listen those which does not contain offensive language as I have never listened or played such songs...Even since 4-5 years I've not heard songs...actually when I used to attend an event...there they use to play music...only I have listened that songs ever in my life :) actually I not either on both sides...if any song contains offensive language it's haram...But if it does not...like I read many Fatwa's and lectures on music...and finally came to conclusion...untill or unless the lyrics does not go out of the limits laid by Quran, nor it contains offensive language..nor romance and etc and all the music played in club and disco's and songs which gives u a bad feeling It's haraam. But if it contains Praises to Allah, teaches u about our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (sallallu alayhi wasallam)...there's noting harm in it...Hadith which declares music as haram are about 80 as I read anywhere but more or about 70 hadith are fabricated among them...even Allah says that music which takes u away from performing ur obligatory duties and takes u away from Allah are haram. I think U may understand. It's ur wish what u want to do my duty was to share what I think..not forcing you :)

I know, there are some of people who say that the ahaadeeth which forbid music are full of faults. Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The ahaadeeth which were narrated concerning music being haraam are not full of faults as has been claimed. Some of them are in Saheeh al-Bukhaari which is the soundest of books after the Book of Allaah, and some of them are hasan and some are da’eef. But because they are so many, with different isnaads, they constitute definitive proof that singing and musical instruments are haraam. Now they have proof that these reports are saheeh because there are so many books by the scholars which state that these ahaadeeth are saheeh

Reaction score
I know, there are some of people who say that the ahaadeeth which forbid music are full of faults. Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The ahaadeeth which were narrated concerning music being haraam are not full of faults as has been claimed. Some of them are in Saheeh al-Bukhaari which is the soundest of books after the Book of Allaah, and some of them are hasan and some are da’eef. But because they are so many, with different isnaads, they constitute definitive proof that singing and musical instruments are haraam. Now they have proof that these reports are saheeh because there are so many books by the scholars which state that these ahaadeeth are saheeh
Actually I read some lectures where it was written....bcuz it was written all the followers of Abu Hanifa, shafi, Maliki and some others within sunni's believe that these Hadith are fabricated....Bcuz of their isnad..not my fault :)

Reaction score
Not All are full of faults...even some are authentic...but still music which takes u away from Allah, or gives u a bad feeling, stops u from doing good, or uses offensive languages is Haraam...there is no argument, but if it contains Praises of Allah, prophet and His companions..It's seems to me no Harm in it.. :)

N.M

Reaction score
Not All are full of faults...even some are authentic...but still music which takes u away from Allah, or gives u a bad feeling, stops u from doing good, or uses offensive languages is Haraam...there is no argument, but if it contains Praises of Allah, prophet and His companions..It's seems to me no Harm in it.. :)

Poetry which comprise of lyrics with character-building verses that are sung in Nasheeds is permitted.Poetry that inculcates the love of Allah are allowed The type of poetry with constructive approach is allowed.However, caution should be exercised that the subject of the poetry should not be indecent; neither should incite one towards evil. The poetry should not also talk about women's beauty or romance and should not hint at shirk either, which is a major sin. It should also not have Music of course.

But nothing can be comparable to Quran. Whose words can be better than Allah's Words??
and i personally feel that sometimes the nasheeds are addictive and even just listening to them once you tend to keep on repeating it throughout the day...
Its better you listen to Quran instead because its beauty is Unique!

Reaction score
Poetry which comprise of lyrics with character-building verses that are sung in Nasheeds is permitted.Poetry that inculcates the love of Allah are allowed The type of poetry with constructive approach is allowed.However, caution should be exercised that the subject of the poetry should not be indecent; neither should incite one towards evil. The poetry should not also talk about women's beauty or romance and should not hint at shirk either, which is a major sin. It should also not have Music of course.

But nothing can be comparable to Quran. Whose words can be better than Allah's Words??
and i personally feel that sometimes the nasheeds are addictive and even just listening to them once you tend to keep on repeating it throughout the day...
Its better you listen to Quran instead because its beauty is Unique!
That's it...I only listen to nasheeds... only for 10-30 min then when I'm free reciting Quran n praying n studying. :)

Reaction score
Well..heres the thing...Even if songs dont contain offensive language they'll drive u away from quran...A mans heart cannot combine between two..either music or Quran..no matter how offensive or not the music is..this is all from Satan..he's trying to convince us that if music doesnt have offensive language lets all listen to it and eventually at one point we will stop reading Quran.

Reaction score
Some of them use as evidence the hadeeth about the singing of the two young girls, but I will quote what Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, because it is valuable:

“I am amazed that you quote as evidence for allowing listening to sophisticated songs the report which mentioned about how two young girls who were below the age of puberty sang to a young woman on the day of Eid some verses of Arab poetry about bravery in war and other noble characteristics. How can you compare this to that? What is strange is that this hadeeth is one of the strongest proofs against them. The greatest speaker of the truth [Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq] called them musical instruments of the Shaytaan, and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) approved of that appellation, but he made an exception in the case of these two young girls who had not yet reached the age of responsibility and the words of whose songs could not corrupt anyone who listened to them. Can this be used as evidence to allow what you do and what you know of listening (to music) which includes (bad) things which are not hidden?! Subhaan Allaah! How people can be led astray! (Madaarij al-Saalikeen, 1/493).

In Addition to this, those girls were only singing and no where does it mentions about the musical instruments being used while singing.So how can it be used as an evidence for Music being allowed in Islam?

Shaykh al-Albaani explained this in his valuable book Tahreem Aalaat al-Tarab (the Prohibition of Musical Instruments). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) approved of young girls singing at Eid, as stated in the hadeeth: “So that the mushrikeen will know that in our religionthere is room for relaxation.” There is no indication in the hadeeth about the two young girls that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was listening to them. The commands and prohibitions have to do with listening, not merely hearing, just as in the case of seeing, the rules have to do with intentionally looking and not what happens by accident.

As for the the girls singing “tala al badru alaina ….” Shiekh Albani states the narration to be deaf (weak). But since it narration of this comes repeatedly, therefore it is often mentioned in the books of seerah. Supported by the evidence that young girls who have not yet reached puberty, were singing it and also that the poetry itself is not corrupt i.e containing indecent verses, nor any musical instrument was used except for duff, which permitted in Sharee’ah on some occasions.(For detailed ruling on playing of duff plz refer http://islamqa.info/en/ref/20406 )

Please note that Sharee‘ah forbids the kind of duff that has jangling pieces of metal around it (i.e., tambourine), because the jangling pieces make more of a stirring sound than the duff that does not have them.

The daff is the least stirring of all musical instruments, hence sharee‘ah has permitted it in some cases, because of the interests served by that, such as announcing a wedding and making it well known among the people

And please refrain from using phrases like " i think..." in religious issues, cuz there is nothing as i think, everything is mentioned in Quran and Hadis, and also the knowledgeable scholars have explained it. Khallaas. It might be the case that we might not understand a few things but then after referring to Quran and Hadis everything will be cleared InshaAllah
I use the words such as I think because it's clearly stated in the post that I do not remember the exact quotations. To avoid lying in these matters , I use such words.
Well , you said yourself that there is relaxation in Islam. So how can relaxation be forbidden?? Like you said, Prophet Muhammad(S.A.W.S.) let the girls sing on Eid day so that the Mushrikeen would know that there is relaxation in Islam.Then of course, there is relaxation in Islam! And what about the girls who were singing about the Prophet Muhammad(S.A.W.S.) ? When the lyrics came , mentioning the Prophet Muhmmad(S.A.W.S.) as the one who knows the future , He(S.A.W.S.) told them to cancel that part and carry on. So He(S.A.W.S.) cancelled the wrong part. Had singing been forbidden too, wouldn't He(S.A.W.S.) cancelled the whole song?? I do not remember the exact wordings. I have much to say on the topic , but to avoid any argument , I stay quiet. :)
There are still evidences for and against. I'm completely ready to stop listening to music , but I'll do it when I get solid evidence. And I'm still searching for it.

Reaction score
I use the words such as I think because it's clearly stated in the post that I do not remember the exact quotations. To avoid lying in these matters , I use such words.
Well , you said yourself that there is relaxation in Islam. So how can relaxation be forbidden?? Like you said, Prophet Muhammad(S.A.W.S.) let the girls sing on Eid day so that the Mushrikeen would know that there is relaxation in Islam.Then of course, there is relaxation in Islam! And what about the girls who were singing about the Prophet Muhammad(S.A.W.S.) ? When the lyrics came , mentioning the Prophet Muhmmad(S.A.W.S.) as the one who knows the future , He(S.A.W.S.) told them to cancel that part and carry on. So He(S.A.W.S.) cancelled the wrong part. Had singing been forbidden too, wouldn't He(S.A.W.S.) cancelled the whole song?? I do not remember the exact wordings. I have much to say on the topic , but to avoid any argument , I stay quiet. :)
There are still evidences for and against. I'm completely ready to stop listening to music , but I'll do it when I get solid evidence. And I'm still searching for it.
Furthermore , as already stated in my previous quote, there are not evidences I know of in the Holy Quran , however there are evidences in the interpretations of it. There is a difference between the two, right??

Reaction score
Have you heard the 1 hour long lecture on this topic by Kamal El Mekki ?
Your doubts will be cleared by it!

Reaction score
Furthermore , as already stated in my previous quote, there are not evidences I know of in the Holy Quran , however there are evidences in the interpretations of it. There is a difference between the two, right??
This is all from Satan believe me...Music is never good..either it contains offensive language or it drives u away from Quran.

Reaction score
This is all from Satan believe me...Music is never good..either it contains offensive language or it drives u away from Quran.
dude I 'm not sure . I not even a heavy listener of music! What I'm standing for is you cannot call Haraam what is not mentioned as Haraam! Do not accuse me! btw how can it be from Satan. Satan is chained in this month , right?? :/
And not always it contains offensive language. There are sometimes music which do not even have wordings!

Reaction score
The Prophet
saws.gif
said : "There will be [at some future time] people from my Ummah who will seek to make lawful fornication, the wearing of silk, wine drinking and the use of musical instruments [ma'aazif]. Some people will stay at the side of the mountain and when their shepherd comes in the evening to ask them for his needs, they will say : 'Return to us tomorrow'. Then Allaah will destroy them during the night by causing the mountain to fall upon them, while He changes others into apes and swine. They will remain in such a state until the Day of Resurrection."

This hadith certainly proves that music is haram and the Prophet knew that people after him will say that music is halal!

Reaction score
The Prophet
saws.gif
said : "There will be [at some future time] people from my Ummah who will seek to make lawful fornication, the wearing of silk, wine drinking and the use of musical instruments [ma'aazif]. Some people will stay at the side of the mountain and when their shepherd comes in the evening to ask them for his needs, they will say : 'Return to us tomorrow'. Then Allaah will destroy them during the night by causing the mountain to fall upon them, while He changes others into apes and swine. They will remain in such a state until the Day of Resurrection."

This hadith certainly proves that music is haram and the Prophet knew that people after him will say that music is halal!
What about duff?? It's a musical instrument. I'm saying because I've heard that hadiths on prohibition of music are not authentic...

Reaction score
dude I 'm not sure . I not even a heavy listener of music! What I'm standing for is you cannot call Haraam what is not mentioned as Haraam! Do not accuse me! btw how can it be from Satan. Satan is chained in this month , right?? :/
And not always it contains offensive language. There are sometimes music which do not even have wordings!
I meant it is from Satan generally..and btw not all Satans are chained during this month only al Marada.
EVEN if music doesn't contain offensive language it'll drive u away from Quran.
Many people who listen to music whether offensive or not rarely read Quran and some of them actually dont...like i said..A mans heart cant combine between music and quran..its either music or quran...the more u listen to music the less u recite quran and vice-versa.

Reaction score
I meant it is from Satan generally..and btw not all Satans are chained during this month only al Marada.
EVEN if music doesn't contain offensive language it'll drive u away from Quran.
Many people who listen to music whether offensive or not rarely read Quran and some of them actually dont...like i said..A mans heart cant combine between music and quran..its either music or quran...the more u listen to music the less u recite quran and vice-versa.
I know but that's if you do it in excess. I have more to say on this topic but I'm avoiding , I shouldn't say what displeases Allah.
Although I do not say that music is lawful , I am not sure.
This is the only reason I interrupted in the talk.
O ye who believe! make not unlawful the good things which Allah hath made lawful for you, but commit no excess: for Allah loveth not those given to excess. [Quran:Chp.5:87]
I am not sure, because there is no solid "evidence prohibiting the music which is authentic"! If music is bad , then it's good to refrain from it , I completely agree. But not make haraam what is not mentioned as haraam. As I quoted earlier , banned and haraam, there is probably a difference between the two!

Reaction score
I know but that's if you do it in excess. I have more to say on this topic but I'm avoiding , I shouldn't say what displeases Allah.
O ye who believe! make not unlawful the good things which Allah hath made lawful for you, but commit no excess: for Allah loveth not those given to excess. [Quran:Chp.5:87]
I am not sure, because there is no solid "evidence prohibiting the music which is authentic"! If music is bad , then it's good to refrain from it , I completely agree. But not make haraam what is not mentioned as haraam. As I quoted earlier , banned and haraam, there is probably a difference between the two!
If something is not haram why would anyone want to stop it.
In the hadith when the prophet says that people will come after him will say that music is halal..that is an indication that they are wrong and that it is haram otherwise, the prophet Salla alaho alehe wa salam wouldnt have mentioned them.

Reaction score
music is definitely forbidden. and duff is allowed. and abt the satan being chained in this month, u r ryt abt that. but the biggets satan is our own "nafs" which is NOT chained. we shud have control over our nafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.