• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology A2 Paper 4 Thread (1st June 2011)

Reaction score
Fauziya said:
write a short note on the Plant growth regulators.
Plant growth regulators are basically plant hormones.
We need to know about three plant hormones:
(i) Auxin (specifically IAA)
(ii) Gibberellic acid (GA)
(iii) Abscissic acid (very confusing spelling)

(i) Auxin
There are several chemicals known as auxins, in our case it is IAA. Auxins are produced in apical bud. They move from the apical bud to the lateral buds either from cell to cell or via phloem sap and xylem vessels. Cell to cell movement could involve symplast pathway (via plasmodesmata if I remember correctly) or could be active transport. Coming to the effect of auxin, when auxin is present in high concentration in lateral buds, it inhibits the growth of the lateral buds. So, the plant only grows upward and cannot branch sideways. Removal of apical bud allows lateral buds to grow. This is known as apical dominance. This happens because removal of apical bud means no meristematic region to produce auxin, so concn of auxin in lateral bud decreases eventually. Also, ABA and GA enhance IAA while cytokinins are antagonistic to IAA.

(ii) GA:

We need to know two effects:
(a) Stem elongation:
In plants such as peas, genes are partially responsible for determining how tall the plant grows. The dominant allele codes for an enzyme that catalyses the synthesis of active form of GA whereas recessive allele codes for inactive form of GA. Thus, homozygous recessive plants are relatively short. GA, on its part, induces cell DIVISION and ELONGATION in the STEM, so causing the plant to grow tall

(b) Seed germination:
When seeds absorb water by osmosis, embryo are stimulated to produe GA. This GA passes to the ALEURONE layer where it switches on the gene for transcription of certain enzymes, one of them being amylase. It also results in hydrolysis of proteins to amino acids. The amylase produced diffuses to the endosperm. Here it catalyses the hydrolysis of starch to maltose and then the hydrolysis of maltose to glucose. The glucose diffuses to the embryo plant and provides a source of energy for growth of embryo plant. (Thus, we start with an embryo and end up at the embryo.)

(iii) ABA
We need to know the role of ABA in stomatal closure (role of ABA in leaf abscission not required)
ABA is known as a stress hormone as it is secreted by plants when subjected to difficult environmental conditions (which for A level invariably means low water conditions due to low or high tempr). ABA binds to the ABA receptors on the plasma membrane of the guard cells. On binding, it inhibits the proton pump. This stops hydrogen ions being pumped out, so potassium ions do not enter any further and rather the cell loses K+ ions. Thus the water potential of the guard cells increases and thus the cell loses water to the surrounding cells by osmosis down the water potential gradient. This reduces turgor and makes the guard cells flaccid, eventually closing the stomata

Reaction score
can you just type your question here that post has realy got confusing with all the quoting and stuff !!
tnkx :)

Reaction score
how many layers of podocytes are there?? From what I understand , podocytes wrap around the basement memabrane surrounding the capillaries of the glomerulus. But now I read that podocytes form the wall of the renal capsule too. So, are there two layers of basement membrane and two layers of podocytes?

I haven't found anything satisfactory on the role of Distal Convoluted Tubules. So, I would like to post what I have understood, please correct the mistakes in my answer:
DCT conceptually behaves both as the ascending loop of Henle and Distal convoluted tubule
(i) Reabsorption of sodium ions in the tissue fluid by active transportation of Na+ ions from the lumen of DCT to the tissue fluid . The hormone aldosterone increases the rate of Na+ secretion and K+ absoprtion. So, partly responsible for regulation of sodium and potassium concentration in the tissue fluid
(ii) Formation of ammonium ions in DCT membrane cells from ammonia and proton which are then actively secreted into the DCT lumen. So, partly responsible for regulation of pH of tissue fluid

Also, why does increasing strength of signal increase the frequency of action potential?

Reaction score
The blood in the glomerulus capillaries is seperated from the lumen of the renal capsule by two layers and a basement membrane. The first cell layer is the lining, or endothelium, of the capillary. Like the endothelium of most capillaries, this has gaps in it, but thes are far more gaps than in other capillaries: each endothelium cell has thousands of tiny holes in it. Next comes the basement membrane which is made up of a network of collagen and glycoproteins. The second layer is formed from epithelial cells which make up the wall of renal capsule. These cells have many tiny finger-like projections, with gaps in between them are called podocytes.
So i think only one layer of podocytes. This is what i understood from the book.

Reaction score
Fauziya said:
The blood in the glomerulus capillaries is seperated from the lumen of the renal capsule by two layers and a basement membrane. The first cell layer is the lining, or endothelium, of the capillary. Like the endothelium of most capillaries, this has gaps in it, but thes are far more gaps than in other capillaries: each endothelium cell has thousands of tiny holes in it. Next comes the basement membrane which is made up of a network of collagen and glycoproteins. The second layer is formed from epithelial cells which make up the wall of renal capsule. These cells have many tiny finger-like projections, with gaps in between them are called podocytes.
So i think only one layer of podocytes. This is what i understood from the book.

The book is what confused me. As I have understood it, the capillary and basement membrane surrounded by podocytes are themselves surrounded by a renal lumen. The renal capsule encloses the lumen. So, if the podocytes form the wall as well, we would require another layer of that.

Reaction score
zeebujha said:
Fauziya said:

The book is what confused me. As I have understood it, the capillary and basement membrane surrounded by podocytes are themselves surrounded by a renal lumen. The renal capsule encloses the lumen. So, if the podocytes form the wall as well, we would require another layer of that.
Now I too got confused....

Reaction score
Also, for the Khan academy folks, why is the electrotonic potential slower than the action potential?? Please explain the reasons put forward by Sal

Reaction score
here u go zeebujha
i m sorry i m so late
hv bin tryn 2 connect 2 da internet but somethin wx wrong
hope this ans u
if not let me no so dat i can try again n differently!!
do let me no if ths helpx!! :)

Reaction score
workinghard said:
here u go zeebujha
i m sorry i m so late
hv bin tryn 2 connect 2 da internet but somethin wx wrong
hope this ans u
if not let me no so dat i can try again n differently!!
do let me no if ths helpx!! :)
y is afferent arteriol wider than efferent arteriol?
n r we rily supposed not to knw abt DCT?

Reaction score
i promise i didnt make dem so...jst kiddin!
i think da sole purpose in hvn diff dia is da creation of pressure...correct me if u disagree!!!
plus i said u dont need 2 no bout aldosterone not DCT!!!
i can xpln its function doh if u like... deres no need as i mentioned earlier doh!

Reaction score
workinghard said:
i promise i didnt make dem so...jst kiddin!
i think da sole purpose in hvn diff dia is da creation of pressure...correct me if u disagree!!!
plus i said u dont need 2 no bout aldosterone not DCT!!!
i can xpln its function doh if u like... deres no need as i mentioned earlier doh!
I too am not sure if we do not require DCT. Preparing notes would be the safer thing I guess.
About glomerulus, the diagram did help a bit. However, do you have a diagram that shows the podocytes, endothelial cells of the capillaries, epithelial cells of the capsule TOGETHER ?? That would greatly help me picture the real thing.

Reaction score
mury456 said:
Points for Benefits of Bio Diversity

To keep stable and maintain the Ecosystem
To keep many diverse gene pools in populations
To keep organisms from becoming extinct
To provide possible future medicines
To encourage ecotourism
Ethically all species deserve to live

if I helped remember to THANK
what is the ECOLOGICAL importance of biodiversity?
Need some explanation of nutrient cycling in this context

Reaction score
:pardon: Do you have links to physics and chemistry revision guides too? :unknown:

Reaction score
Isn't an ion channel not supposed to use ATP in transportation?? I thought only carrier proteins used ATP! But on reading that CFTR is a chloride channel that actively transports Cl- ions, I am not sure any longer! Please address my confusion guys!

Reaction score
mrpaudel said:
desolator619 said:
can someone explain action potentials to me? like how they travel along a nerve or whatever :'(

GO TO http://www.khanacademy.org ....u'll surely understand anything u wanna know...
Also, for the Khan academy folks, why is the electrotonic potential slower than the action potential?? Please explain the reasons put forward by Sal