• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Oh now i understand why people are saying that aqueous is considered concerntrated!
In aqueous NaCl instead of Oxygen at the anode Chlorine is produced because Chlorine is more conerntrated than Oxygen!
While at the cathode same hydrogen is produced!
Refer to Question 3 in June 2008! If you considered it as concerntrated than at the cathode no gas would have formed rather Na would have deposited!

Only chlorine gas is more concerntrated than Oxygen! Thats why people are that for NaCl ONLY you take Aqueous as Concerntrated!
Now i have got it all cleared! Ask your sources, this info is also mentioned in the book!
concentrated NaCl and Na will deposit at cathode in concentrated solution? i tot Na will only deposit when in molten state?

Reaction score
No in molten and in concerntrated Na will deposit at cathode!
Na will be deposited at the cathode only in molten form! Not in aqueous conditions ( whether conc. or dil.) The confusion was about the products at the anode. Not at the cathode.

asd

Reaction score
Oh now i understand why people are saying that aqueous is considered concerntrated!
In aqueous NaCl instead of Oxygen at the anode Chlorine is produced because Chlorine is more conerntrated than Oxygen!
While at the cathode same hydrogen is produced!
Refer to Question 3 in June 2008! If you considered it as concerntrated than at the cathode no gas would have formed rather Na would have deposited!

Only chlorine gas is more concerntrated than Oxygen! Thats why people are that for NaCl ONLY you take Aqueous as Concerntrated!
Now i have got it all cleared! Ask your sources, this info is also mentioned in the book!
Dude, you totally screwed up your concepts..

asd

Reaction score
The solution was replaced by a dilute solution of an acid. Suggest which acid would
produce the same gases as those produced with concentrated aqueous sodium
chloride.
I know HCl is the only possibility but how could DILUTE HCl give out chlorine at anode and not Oxygen? D:

Reaction score
Sorry fellows, only in Molten!
But i know i'm guaranteed right in aqueous being dilute! no question on that!
Nothing like screwing up my concepts, open the book and the p.p i referred to!

Reaction score
What a Disaster!
Hope everyone comes on top of the exam!
Stop the concerntration and dilute arguing!
Accept anything you like!
Lets see who gets what right in the end!
:cool:

Reaction score
The solution was replaced by a dilute solution of an acid. Suggest which acid would
chloride.
I know HCl is the only possibility but how could DILUTE HCl give out chlorine at anode and not Oxygen? D:
then is dilute NaCl give out chlorine gas at anode? i remember only SO4 and NO3 will give out oxygen while others is just the anion...:coffee:

asd

Reaction score
Here it is: Aqueous is aqueous, unless stated dilute or concentrated. In case of NaCl, It's always concentrated. Got thaT?

Reaction score
Here it is: Aqueous is aqueous, unless stated dilute or concentrated. In case of NaCl, It's always concentrated. Got thaT?
how about this?
chloride.
answer is HCl... in dilute HCl, OH is being discharge instead of Cl? but why the answer is HCl?

asd

Reaction score
how about this?
chloride.
answer is HCl... in dilute HCl, OH is being discharge instead of Cl? but why the answer is HCl?
That's what's my question -_-

Reaction score
i found some answer to this question... but i dont understand it... can someone explain what is o3H+?:coffee:

1)Diluted HCl contains Cl- anions and H3O+ cations, and just these ions migrate to electrodes. OF course you can also take into account a very small amount of OH- anions (but they are diminished by an equilibrium Kw=[H3O+][OH-]).
Also, this may depend on the voltage used.
The major products of electrolysis should be H2 and Cl2

2)chlorine ions have a greater negative elctrode potential than hydroxide ions by a quite high degree, to the extent that a small concentration of Cl- anions will be displaced preferentially to hydroxide ions.

asd

Reaction score
i found some answer to this question... but i dont understand it... can someone explain what is o3H+?:coffee:

1)Diluted HCl contains Cl- anions and H3O+ cations, and just these ions migrate to electrodes. OF course you can also take into account a very small amount of OH- anions (but they are diminished by an equilibrium Kw=[H3O+][OH-]).
Also, this may depend on the voltage used.
The major products of electrolysis should be H2 and Cl2

2)chlorine ions have a greater negative elctrode potential than hydroxide ions by a quite high degree, to the extent that a small concentration of Cl- anions will be displaced preferentially to hydroxide ions.
I guess in aqueous solutions containing Cl- and OH-, Cl- always discharges !
correct me if im wrong.