• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Aqueous is aqueous. Why are you guys fighting over it being conc. or dilute? :/
Aqueous solution is simply a solution of a substance in water. The solution contains the +ve & -ve ions of the substance dissolved and water (H+ & OH-)
I never troubled myself into thinking whether it would be dilute or not, so I never assumed unless it was mentioned!
you need to know that in questions of electrolysis

Reaction score
Aqueous solution is simply a solution of a substance in water. The solution contains the +ve & -ve ions of the substance dissolved and water (H+ & OH-)
I never troubled myself into thinking whether it would be dilute or not, so I never assumed unless it was mentioned!
LOLL:LOL:.... A* confirmed(y)

Reaction score
part b here. marking scheme says white 'powder'. why powder?
View attachment 10403
Sodium carbonate naturally occurs in small crystals. When the base of sodium (which is not usually very chemically reactive) comes into contact with carbonic acid, the resulting chemical reaction forms sodium carbonate. While it is formed in crystals, sodium carbonate looks like a plain, white powder to most people who see it. This process naturally occurs

Reaction score
what are you saying confusing everyone about the question change and pattern change??? If there was to be any difference in paper, a specimen paper would have been given! what is ur source about this other than ur teacher?

Please do not post material which may cause other people to die of heart attack as they have the paper the next day!
I simply had no idea people here would be shocked so much!
No other source other than my teacher!
if not mentioned, it is concentrated. A long and lengthy discussion has been held before on this same thread, and it was finally proved from the ms that if mentioned only aqueous, NaCl is always taken conc. and btw, only electrolysis of conc. sodium chloride is included in our syllabus!
No arguing, people would pick whatever they want! But if you just forget the ms and think logically than AQUEOUS means 'added with water'
and DILUTE means 'particles of solution e.g sugar are less than water'
Which by the fact seems dilute!
And as for getting correct except for paper that confused everyone i've got it right!

Reaction score
Same here, but the fact that it involves (H+ & OH- ions) further proves it that its dilute!
Why dont people open Christopher N.Prescot book it has everything written in topic 9.6!
SIMPLY RIDICULOUS

asd

Reaction score
Same here, but the fact that it involves (H+ & OH- ions) further proves it that its dilute!
Why dont people open Christopher N.Prescot book it has everything written in topic 9.6!
SIMPLY RIDICULOUS
Well, this may be a little hurting :p but i reviewed a few past papers and aq. NaCl is always considered concentrated, idk why but it is. UNLESS the question mentions dilute NaCl solution, its ALWAYS concentrated.

Reaction score
Well, this may be a little hurting :p but i reviewed a few past papers and aq. NaCl is always considered concentrated, idk why but it is. UNLESS the question mentions dilute NaCl solution, its ALWAYS concentrated.
^agreed !!!

Reaction score
Well apart from NaCl the logic says aq. means dilute! Thats what i'm talking about!

Reaction score
Oh now i understand why people are saying that aqueous is considered concerntrated!
In aqueous NaCl instead of Oxygen at the anode Chlorine is produced because Chlorine is more conerntrated than Oxygen!
While at the cathode same hydrogen is produced!
Refer to Question 3 in June 2008! If you considered it as concerntrated than at the cathode no gas would have formed rather Na would have deposited!

Only chlorine gas is more concerntrated than Oxygen! Thats why people are that for NaCl ONLY you take Aqueous as Concerntrated!
Now i have got it all cleared! Ask your sources, this info is also mentioned in the book!