• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can acidic OXIDES be used to neutralize bases...and btw wats the equation for this
acidic oxides react with bases to form salt and water
acidic oxides are non metal oxides
basic oxides are metal oxides and they react with acids to form salt and water
ampoteric oxides are also metal oxides but they react with both acid and base only three are in syllabus aluminium oxide lead oxide and zinc oxide

Reaction score
Can acidic OXIDES be used to neutralize bases...and btw wats the equation for this

Yes..

I think it will be something like ..

SO2+NaOH ---> NaSO4 + H20

I don't think most equations are in our syllabus though. have never done it in school.

Reaction score
rabia, yaar meri explanations sux .. anyways i will try

dekho NH3 do jagah use horaha hai ..

Stage 1 NH3 + 2O2 → HNO3 + H2O
Stage 2 HNO3 + NH3 → NH4NO3

tu jitna bhi mass hai ussay hum equally distribute kar deingay .. dono stages ko .. so 17 tha na ? 8.5 ooper walay ko aur 8.5 neechay walay ko ..

Moles=mass/mr
8.5/17=0.5= Moles of NH3 in Reaction one.

ab compare karo .. aik mole NH3 ka Aik mole bna raha NH4NO3 ka.

so 0.5 moles will make 0.5 moles.

Mass Of NH4NO3
Mass=Molar Mass*Number of Moles
Mass=80*0.5
Mass=40 Tonnes
thankyou

Reaction score
my tip to all of you plz read the question very carefully especially mcqs they require a lot of recall and knowledge make sure you know all formulas really well and ur theory should be really good chem is not tricky like phy anyone can ace it just need to learn your theory really well(y)

Reaction score
I mean use common sense co2 is in air if they were suppose to react in every lab NaOH will be forming a salt and it would not be able to take part in any reactions except in a vaccum and that never happens know ur chem:confused:

Reaction score
question is wrong actually CO2 is a gas at rtp and NaOH a liquid how r they suppose to react?????

NaOH (s) + CO2 (g) --> No Reaction ..

That's probably the answer i was hoping for... NaOH is liquid at rtp? since when? its solid at rtp. when you would make the solution aqueous with water to make it aqueous to make it react... CO2 will also react with water .. forming H2CO3 ..

and that's from where our typical reaction occurs.

H2CO3 (Carbonic Acid) + NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) ---> Na2CO3 + H20.

hence why i said it wasn't in our course, not in details anyways. the only reaction in our course is the principal Neutralization reaction between An Acid and an Base.

Reaction score
NaOH (s) + CO2 (g) --> No Reaction ..

That's probably the answer i was hoping for... NaOH is liquid at rtp? since when? its solid at rtp. when you would make the solution aqueous with water to make it aqueous to make it react... CO2 will also react with water .. forming H2CO3 ..

and that's from where our typical reaction occurs.

H2CO3 (Carbonic Acid) + NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) ---> Na2CO3 + H20.

hence why i said it wasn't in our course, not in details anyways. the only reaction in our course is the principal Neutralization reaction between An Acid and an Base.
I mean use common sense co2 is in air if they were suppose to react in every lab NaOH will be forming a salt and it would not be able to take part in any reactions except in a vaccum and that never happens know ur chem:confused:
do you guys remember organic chem? we pass ethene GAS through bromine water. gas and liquid -,- they REACT :)

Reaction score
Co2 is an acidic oxide and naoh can react with it.its a chemicalproperty of alkali !
I am refering to the states co2 is everywhere in air so in ur lab when u perform a experiment take example of titration lid is open do any crystals form in the flask containing base no never it has happen and air has 4% of co2 that is enough for it to react ppl where is ur common sense??

Reaction score
do you guys remember organic chem? we pass ethene GAS through bromine water. gas and liquid -,- they REACT :)

NaOH and CO2 don't React with water.

read above... in that reaction

NaOH reacts with H2CO3 which is mistaken for the reaction of NaOH and CO2.