• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
one question. in your lab, flasks are kept without lid? :O
Fyi in titration top of the reciever which contains NaOH is open no they are kept in lids but special chemicals which have a affinity with air are kept in a vaccum cuboard and NaOH is not one of them

Reaction score
2NaOH + CO2 → Na2CO3 + H2O

Google it! It.Is.Possible
You guys are arguing over nothing! CO2 is only present in air to less thn 0.03% , so it won't affect the alkali ! Duh!

Reaction score
em talking about reaction between liq and gases. they ARE possible

NaOH is not a LIQUID its a solid, its dissolved into water (aqueous) to give it its basic properties.
when CO2 is passed through NaOH, the water inside NaOH reacts with CO2 to form H2CO3 first. then that H2CO3 reacts with NaOH to give you your products.

that's what i am saying.

Reaction score
NaOH is not a LIQUID its a solid, its dissolved into water (aqueous) to give it its basic properties.
when CO2 is passed through NaOH, the water inside NaOH reacts with CO2 to form H2CO3 first. then that H2CO3 reacts with NaOH to give you your products.

that's what i am saying.
duhh someone back there was saying use common sense and that liq(NaOH as she or he said) and CO2 wont rreact. was merly pointing out that liquids and gases CAN...
here. this is what i am referring to
question is wrong actually CO2 is a gas at rtp and NaOH a liquid how r they suppose to react?????

problem solved. end of the story. :O

Reaction score
they are possible but not in co2 case it is present in air

They Do React, but the amount of CO2 is quite less in the air .. the case here is similar with Metals and Oxides .. the only difference is Oxygen's concetration is 20% while CO2 is less than 0.1

So Yes they may react with each other. BUT NaOH is not affected as the amount of CO2 which reacts with it is almost negligible.

Reaction score
Element R reacts with oxygen to form a gas, T.
T changes the colour of damp litmus paper from blue to red.
T is used to kill bacteria in the preservation of dried fruit.
What is R?

A carbon
B chlorine
C nitrogen
D sulphur

Reaction score
One more :
ch1.jpg

Reaction score
What is R?

A carbon
B chlorine
C nitrogen
D sulphur
sulphur.

Reaction score
What is R?

A carbon
B chlorine
C nitrogen
D sulphur

Sulphur

Reaction score
Sulphur Dioxide is used in preservation and killing of bacteria.

besides i have never heard of oxygen chloride anywhere in our course .. or something like that ...
my bad. i corrected it above. wanted to write sulphur...

Reaction score
i agree with syed1995 on the CO2 reaction... obv if plaed in an atmosphere with no water vapour and only pure gas air NaOH will probably not react with CO2 bcuz it stays solid and also b/c CO2 is too less in amount. and remember guys a little moisture is ALWAYS needed for a reaction to occur. for some reactions the minute moisture from the air is enough and for some we need to use aq. sol. so this is just a misunderstanding to some people. and equations like this can come if they want to give us a hard time. don't rely on the fact that these are too advanced or too difficult to come. they are not advanced they are just a little more technical than we are used to but the concepts involved are pretty much basic. best of luk for the exam :)