• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hydrogen goes to negative electrode while sulphate and hydroxide goes to positive....... sulfate ones are never reduced........ so hydroxide releases oxygen.........

Reaction score

its C i thnk. cz copper sulphate has copper deposition on cathode. conc. sodium chloride ll have hydrogen gas and chlorine gas as products but their proportion will be same cz 2 chloride ions loose 2 electrons used by 2 hydrogen ions. H2SO4 'll give oxygen gas and hydrogen gas. the proportion of hydrogen gas ll be double to oxygen cz liberation of one oxygen gas gives 4 electrons and each H2 molecule uses 2 electrons. i dunno about the reason of ethanol but i thnk its cz its a weak acid n electrolysis is difficult

Reaction score
the answer is C) Dilute H2SO4.... If you see clearly on the diagram the volume towards cathode is half the volume at anode....this is because oxygen is deposited at the anode and hydrogen at the cathode.

Reaction at cathode: 2h+2e=H2
Reaction at anode: 4oh= O2+H2O+ 4e

now if you mulitply the whole equation of the cathode with 2 to make both equations having 4e then you will get cathode equation like this:

4h+4e=2H2
... now look at the volume of both hydrogen and oxygen...oxygen has one volume and hydrogen has two volume....this is the way i was taught...If this is incorrect do point out and let me know...

Reaction score
the answer is C) Dilute H2SO4.... If you see clearly on the diagram the volume towards cathode is half the volume at anode....this is because oxygen is deposited at the anode and hydrogen at the cathode.

Reaction at cathode: 2h+2e=H2
Reaction at anode: 4oh= O2+H2O+ 4e

now if you mulitply the whole equation of the cathode with 2 to make both equations having 4e then you will get cathode equation like this:

4h+4e=2H2
... now look at the volume of both hydrogen and oxygen...oxygen has one volume and hydrogen has two volume....this is the way i was taught...If this is incorrect do point out and let me know...
hey in case if aqueous copper sulphate is used i gues copper will deposit on cathode and thus water level will rise right in cathode

Reaction score
hey in case if aqueous copper sulphate is used i gues copper will deposit on cathode and thus water level will rise right in cathode

I dont think we really know all that its out of our syllabus,except for H2SO4 thing !
Anyways for Cu electrolysis no one will use this setup ! this is a typical gas collection electrolytic cell used for H2SO4 !

Reaction score
Okay ill make a flow chart thing later when i get time ill just tell u how this works !

For choosing how to make the salts by different methods we do the following !
1.First u check whether the metal in the salt to be made is reactive enuf to replace the hydrogen in the acid or not,if it can replace it then u check if its way too reactive and therefore dangerous a reaction, if not then u proceed and react with the acid excess metal and then filter and crystallize !
2.But if the metal is not reactive enuf or it is way too reactive then u use Plan B.
3.Plan B involves reacting base or carbonate with acid but it involves two parts !
i.First u check whether the base or carbonate of the metal in the salt to be made is soluble of not then u make the salt by reacting with acids solid metal carbonates or solid base !
ii.But if the base or carbonate is soluble then u take the titration method and u react the metal base or carbonate with acid by using titration method :D

and thats it,u have to go point by point if any metal in the salt to be made agrees to the points u use the method !
I hope u all get it !

Reaction score
those having problems in salt prep read this i think this is from Harwood book and it was in the notes @SalmanPakRocks gave !

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 20
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
I dont think we really know all that its out of our syllabus,except for H2SO4 thing !
Anyways for Cu electrolysis no one will use this setup ! this is a typical gas collection electrolytic cell used for H2SO4 !
but i wanted to say is that in case of cuso4 copper will deposit on cathode and thus water level will rise thats what i wanted to say u are right about the test tube thing