• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Okay let's start discussing Biology ATP.
Describe two experiments that demonstrate how water is carried up the plant.
Describe two experiments to show the presence of stomata on the underside of the leaves.
1) take a (balsam) plant and put it in beaker of dyed water ( with ink) .... after a few hours cut a tranverse section of the stem .. the xylem will be coloured showing water goes up through the xylem.....
2)cut a shoot of an actively growing potted plant leaving 5cm of the stem over the soil.........fit a glass tubing ..to the cut end of the stem by means of rubber tubing ....partialy fill the glass tubing with water ..and support it with a retort stand mark the level of the water after a few hours it will rise.....showing tht water moves up by root pressure....is this correct?

Reaction score
Okay let's start discussing Biology ATP.
Describe two experiments to show the presence of stomata on the underside of the leaves.
add any soluble dye (suppose its Blue) in the water in a beaker. take a small germinating plant and put it in the beaker with its roots dipped in the beaker. leave it there for 2 hrs. after it, when you cut thee plants stem and roots, u'll see their xylem tissues stained with the dye. am i right?
i dont know the other experiment .-.
select a leaf from a plant. put a sheet of paper, soaked in cobalt chloride ppr, on the upper side of leaf and one on the lower side. press them tight by putting glass slides over them and tightening them with strings/rubber bands. after some time, you'll see the colour of lower ppr changing from blue to pink. this is because of the water being released from stomata pores on the lower surface. the ppr on upper surface will remain intact.

Reaction score
add any soluble dye (suppose its Blue) in the water in a beaker. take a small germinating plant and put it in the beaker with its roots dipped in the beaker. leave it there for 2 hrs. after it, when you cut thee plants stem and roots, u'll see their xylem tissues stained with the dye. am i right?
select a leaf from a plant. put a sheet of paper, soaked in cobalt chloride ppr, on the upper side of leaf and one on the lower side. press them tight by putting glass slides over them and tightening them with strings/rubber bands. after some time, you'll see the colour of lower ppr changing from blue to pink. this is because of the water being released from stomata pores on the lower surface. the ppr on upper surface will remain intact.
can we do this : take a leaf from a plant and coat the top of the leaf with petroleum jelly and then dip it in a beaker full of water ... and put it in sunlight... .... after a few minutes bubbles will appear to be coming from the lower side of the leaf showing the presence of stomata

Reaction score
the colour on the top may change a little too...

1)take a potted plant and cover it with polythene bag till the stem... put the plant in a bell jar in strong sunlight for a few hours.... after a few hours test the liquid on the inside of the bell jar...we can test the the condensed vapour by cobalt chloride paper which will turn from blue to pink......

Reaction score
can we do this : take a leaf from a plant and coat the top of the leaf with petroleum jelly and then dip it in a beaker full of water ... and put it in sunlight... .... after a few minutes bubbles will appear to be coming from the lower side of the leaf showing the presence of stomata
why do we need to oat the upper surface with petroleum jelly?

Reaction score
its a smooth curve ....cutting most of the points.......u can skip the points but if u skip two points one must be above the curve and the other below....
Y
Yes i know this, i can skip points in a line of best fit but how can i do this with the curve..

Reaction score
Which one. You have posted so many
this one
cut a shoot of an actively growing potted plant leaving 5cm of the stem over the soil.........fit a glass tubing ..to the cut end of the stem by means of rubber tubing ....partialy fill the glass tubing with water ..and support it with a retort stand mark the level of the water after a few hours it will rise.....showing tht water moves up by root pressure...

Reaction score
this one
cut a shoot of an actively growing potted plant leaving 5cm of the stem over the soil.........fit a glass tubing ..to the cut end of the stem by means of rubber tubing ....partialy fill the glass tubing with water ..and support it with a retort stand mark the level of the water after a few hours it will rise.....showing tht water moves up by root pressure...
Why do we have to put it above the soil?