• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIOLOGY PAPER 22

How did you find the paper ?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I was on a hurry that I made some stupid spelling mistakes :/
For example : I wrote cristea instead of cristae and Glycositic bonds instead of Glycosidic.
Do you guys think that would make me lose a lot of marks ?

Reaction score
For example : I wrote cristea instead of cristae and Glycositic bonds instead of Glycosidic.
unless it changes the meaning of the sentence, i dont think u'd lose any marks..

Reaction score
They Accept it if they are Phonetically the same

Reaction score
anyone know why the humback whale is so big in size????????

Because It's in a simple food chain, and as we go along the food chain there is an energy loss about 10% is only transferred , The whale was secondary consumer, so less energy loss so more available energy for the whale for it's growth.. and you can say also that the whale has other sources for food (energy) so more energy taken by the whale for growth..

Reaction score
Actually the paper was really confusing and different. many of us did silly and careless mistakes and i believe in most of the questions you had to think before you write your answer . i found this paper to be more challenging than May/June 2012 (21) . The good part is that October/November papers usually have a lower curve compared to May/June papers so don't be worried guys ! if you feel you messed up a lot then make it up in paper 1 which carries 31% ! :)

Reaction score
Guys for Magnification how were we supposed to calculate it?..were we suppose to measure length or width?

Reaction score
Because It's in a simple food chain, and as we go along the food chain there is an energy loss about 10%, The whale was secondary consumer, so less energy loss so more available energy for the whale for it's growth.. and you can say also that the whale has other sources for food (energy) so more energy taken by the whale for growth..
the energy loss is not 10%, the energy that is transferred is 10%.. so the total loss is 90%...
and as you go further in a food chain, energy decreases, due to successive loss of energy at each trophic level...

For this question, i wrote that it feeds on more than one population of animals (it was feeding on fish and the other organism, forgot what it was) to meet its requirements...

Reaction score
Guys for the typhoid thing I wrote antibiotic!! and wanted to ask for the enzyme! I wrote competitve inhibitor cuz its increase caused decrease in the rate of the reaction! and btw we were supposed to describe the graph

Reaction score
Guys for the typhoid thing I wrote antibiotic!! and wanted to ask for the enzyme! I wrote competitve inhibitor cuz its increase caused decrease in the rate of the reaction! and btw we were supposed to describe the graph

It's Non-Competitive as the the three graphs didn't meet at the end, Non-Competitive Inhibitor always have lower slope and lower end point, so it's non competitive, I don't remember if we had to mention data from graph, but I mentioned data just in case.. about the Typhoid thing I'm not sure if it is antibiotic

Reaction score
It's Non-Competitive as the the three graphs didn't meet at the end, Non-Competitive Inhibitor always have lower slope and lower end point, so it's non competitive, I don't remember if we had to mention data from graph, but I mentioned data just in case.. about the Typhoid thing I'm not sure if it is antibiotic
What did u write for the typhoid drug?

Reaction score
i wrote competitive inhibitor as well, because increasing the concentration of ATP was having an effect on the rate of DNA synthesis.. thus competitive...
and the graph wasnt reaching a plateau i think...
but the majority wrote non competitive... :eek:

I ddnt describe the graph... the question ddnt ask to describe the graph... so i just mentioned the temporary bonds etc

Reaction score
i wrote competitive inhibitor as well, because increasing the concentration of ATP was having an effect on the rate of DNA synthesis.. thus competitive...
and the graph wasnt reaching a plateau i think...
but the majority wrote non competitive... :eek:

I ddnt describe the graph... the question ddnt ask to describe the graph... so i just mentioned the temporary bonds etc

Well Non-Competitive inhibitors also decreases the rate of DNA synthesis, but If it was Competitive inhibitor the graphs would be lower slopes but same end point.. Non-Competitive inhibitors bind with allosteric site, Enzyme loses it's shape can't fit the substrate anymore, so no Enzyme-Substrate Complex is formed, but It will do some reaction as not all Enzymes are inhibited at the same time, so some free Enzymes would do some reaction till all are inhibited and once all are inhibited reaction stops, that's why it took that shape in the Graph.. here is a link to understand better http://getyournotes.blogspot.com/2011/06/competitive-vs-non-competitive.html

about the Typhoid drug, I wrote Oral Drug or Re-Hydration, as Typhoid is transmitted by contaminated food and water, so perhaps it have same characteristics and same site of infection like Cholera and so It might have same symptoms.... as I knew that if a Pathogen is transmitted by food and water born it might affect Digestive System, and if the pathogen was Air Born, it might affect Respiratory system such as TB, if the pathogen was transmitted by Needle Sharing and Blood Transfusion then it would affect Blood cells such as HIV and Malaria..

Reaction score
Do you guys remember that graph question on ATP concentration?? What did u all write for that?
i wrote ara-ATP is a competitive inhibitor.... because increasing the concentration of ATP, has an effect on the rate of DNA synthesis...
Do you have to say inhibitor and stuff? they just asked to describe the graph, right?