• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 61... DONE

How was the exam?

• Great

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Good

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Good and Bad

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • BAD!

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
we ha
We had to use the frequency density ;)

Er, why? It didn't specify. I just used frequency.. lots of people don't even know what frequency density is if they haven't taken maths :s

Reaction score
You are so wrong.. First because the link u sent was about histograms in GENERAL.
Secondly if you open the revision checklist for IGCSE BIOLOGY 0610 which is 31 pages.. Scroll down to page 28 and you'll see:
"(f) Histograms
These are drawn when plotting frequency graphs with continuous data, e.g.,
frequency of occurrence of leaves of different lengths. The blocks should be drawn in
order of increasing or decreasing magnitude and they should be touching."
It didn't mention anything to with density + This is a biology exam which tests for BIOLOGY not MATHS.

Reaction score
You are so wrong.. First because the link u sent was about histograms in GENERAL.
Secondly if you open the revision checklist for IGCSE BIOLOGY 0610 which is 31 pages.. Scroll down to page 28 and you'll see:
"(f) Histograms
frequency of occurrence of leaves of different lengths. The blocks should be drawn in
It didn't mention anything to with density + This is a biology exam which tests for BIOLOGY not MATHS.

Reaction score
"(f) Histograms
:'( :'( So how much am I gonna loose out of 4

Reaction score
Er, why? It didn't specify. I just used frequency.. lots of people don't even know what frequency density is if they haven't taken maths :s
But the main requirement that differentiates it from a bar chart is the use of Frequency density, so how can you use FREQUENCY in a HISTOGRAM and not BAR CHART? :unsure:

Reaction score
But the main requirement that differentiates it from a bar chart is the use of Frequency density, so how can you use FREQUENCY in a HISTOGRAM and not BAR CHART? :unsure:

In biology, the difference between histograms and bar chart is the gap between the bars, don't worry, you'll only lose a maximum of two marks since you have a right scale and correct order of which is x and y axis :)

Reaction score
In biology, the difference between histograms and bar chart is the gap between the bars, don't worry, you'll only lose a maximum of two marks since you have a right scale and correct order of which is x and y axis :)

Reaction score
"(f) Histograms

A formula is a formula,whether its for maths or physics..just like a rule is a rule.
The basic rule with a histogram is that the AREA of the bar shows/tells us the frequency and with a bar chart,the HEIGHT of the bar shows/tells us the frequency.
To find out the area of the bar you multiply its value from the x-axis [the range of lengths] with the y-axis [the frequency density].
If this difference did not exist,there would be no difference between a bar chart and a histogram.
Clearly,in the exam they asked us to draw a histogram,not a bar chart :p
Could you give me the link for the revision checklist, as I want to make sure I've got all the topics covered.
+What's done is done,its no good arguing about it..focus on your next exam and when the mark schemes come out you can cross check your answer :p

Reactions: Z.S
Reaction score

The gap between the bars tells you if the chart shows you data on continuous variation or discontinuous.

Reaction score
A formula is a formula,whether its for maths or physics..just like a rule is a rule.
The basic rule with a histogram is that the AREA of the bar shows/tells us the frequency and with a bar chart,the HEIGHT of the bar shows/tells us the frequency.
To find out the area of the bar you multiply its value from the x-axis [the range of lengths] with the y-axis [the frequency density].
If this difference did not exist,there would be no difference between a bar chart and a histogram.
Could you give me the link for the revision checklist, as I want to make sure I've got all the topics covered.
+What's done is done,its no good arguing about it..focus on your next exam and when the mark schemes come out you can cross check your answer :p
How I wish you should be right Fme :whistle:

Reaction score

As much as a good point this is, my teacher whose been teaching bio for 15+ years has never mentioned this.
Even in our mocks which were marked EXACTLY according to the mark scheme, there was a histogram question. I used frequency, not frequency density and got full marks for it. The marks are for correct axis labelled with units, there should be no gaps, should use more then half of the y and x axis, and data should be correctly plotted. Im about 110% sure we didn't need frequency density, but then again theres no point in arguing over it since no one knows what CIE is capable of x)

Reaction score
As much as a good point this is, my teacher whose been teaching bio for 15+ years has never mentioned this.
Even in our mocks which were marked EXACTLY according to the mark scheme, there was a histogram question. I used frequency, not frequency density and got full marks for it. The marks are for correct axis labelled with units, there should be no gaps, should use more then half of the y and x axis, and data should be correctly plotted. Im about 110% sure we didn't need frequency density, but then again theres no point in arguing over it since no one knows what CIE is capable of x)

:(

Reaction score
In my Biology notes book it shows the Y-axis labeled "Frequency" too in how to draw a histogram