• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CAREER COUNSELLING

Reaction score
Well, if English is not your native language, then universities recommend you take it, but it's not required.

Jeez. What are universities? Bunch of overlords who expect students to have mega-brains? Seriously, SAT I/ACT, SAT II, IELTS, TOEFL, loads of cocurriculars, an internship or two, local admission tests and As and A*s in your predicted grades of around 4 subjects is what is recommended for us? :/

Reaction score
Jeez. What are universities? Bunch of overlords who expect students to have mega-brains? Seriously, SAT I/ACT, SAT II, IELTS, TOEFL, loads of cocurriculars, an internship or two, local admission tests and As and A*s in your predicted grades of around 4 subjects is what is recommended for us? :/
or a couple hundred thousand dollars, they are also recommended :p

Reaction score
:confused:o_O
SAT/ACT is sort of a compulsion even SAT II sometimes
He was asking about the TOEFL -_-

The only thing I find intimidating is the costs :p You have to give either the IELTS or the TOEFL, and SAT II and internships aren't always required. And don't forget about letters of recommendation :p
I don't blame them for being strict. Bad enough we got a bunch of degree holders sitting at home all day. If they minimise the admission requirements, more people would be admitted, more people would graduate, the job market would fluctuate uncontrollably and then crash, until practically everyone is jobless.

Reaction score
Look, the thing about TOEFL /IELTS is that they are like standard for Asians like us. And you really dont have to worry much. You probably need a week or two at the most for preparation and orientation regarding them. And if you have got A*s/ As in English then what are you worrying about. Just practice a bit from those TOEFL CD's and books you get. And go for it.
The only thing is that it has costs a bit as usual. But then it is a small price to pay for our future.

Reaction score
Look, the thing about TOEFL /IELTS is that they are like standard for Asians like us. And you really dont have to worry much. You probably need a week or two at the most for preparation and orientation regarding them. And if you have got A*s/ As in English then what are you worrying about. Just practice a bit from those TOEFL CD's and books you get. And go for it.
The only thing is that it has costs a bit as usual. But then it is a small price to pay for our future.
I completely agree. (y)

Reaction score
Is TOEFL or IELTS required for US universities even if you have given O level English Language and have an A or A*?
Of course. TOEFL/ IELTS is a must regardless of your grades.
US unis more of like test your English skills through the basis of your SAT. However, to be on the safe side (you don't know for certain if you will actually get the admission in an US uni), do give the IELTS (it is easier than the SAT), so that you can also be eligible for admission in Canadian, Australian unis.
Majority of US universities prefer the TOEFL. The IELTS is preferred by British and Australian universities.
Isn't SAT enough for US unis?

TOEFL is recognised mostly by American universities but most of them also accept IELTS results. However some top universities like UPenn prefer TOEFL and thus those aiming for such top ones must keep in mind that they should go for TOEFL.

Recently, I was going through some UK universities' websites and I found that some of them are not accepting TOEFL/TOEIC results because of fraudulent practices and will not be used for granting visas.

So please take care with these two important points. Those applying to USA as well as UK must appear in both. That's my personal opinion.

Reaction score
TOEFL is recognised mostly by American universities but most of them also accept IELTS results. However some top universities like UPenn prefer TOEFL and thus those aiming for such top ones must keep in mind that they should go for TOEFL.

Recently, I was going through some UK universities' websites and I found that some of them are not accepting TOEFL/TOEIC results because of fraudulent practices and will not be used for granting visas.

So please take care with these two important points. Those applying to USA as well as UK must appear in both. That's my personal opinion.
You are correct. Although, I wouldn't say most universities in the US also accept the IELTS, but some do. As you said, there's UPenn, then UF, and a couple of others. Some of the other top tier universities will not accept the IELTS in lieu of the TOEFL, like Stanford and MIT.
I agree with you, people applying to the US and the UK should appear for both the IELTS and the TOEFL.

Reaction score
^So yes, people.
Start mapping out your priorities and make your choices (US/UK/ elsewhere/combinations, SAT /ACT, TOEFL/IELTS/ both) and get yourselves registered for these tests (seat availability is an issue). esp the easy ones like TOEFL & IELTS and give it now in your AS levels when things are not that pressurizing ( score reporting is valid for 2 years).

Last edited: