• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chem P1 and P2: DiscussiOn

Reaction score
was there any answer that was in 2000?? for e.g. 2007 or 2886 etc?
it was a section b question and was related yo hydrogen iodide question
plz help

Reaction score
Oh guyx... althugh i gt my ans wrong 4 da CATALYST ques. bt nw i realized dat da ans to dat ques. is " CATALYSTS CAN BE ORGANIC OR INORGANIC !!".
We all knw bout Catalysts being INORGANIC (transition metals) bt they r also ORGANIC bcoz in this wrld there r catalysts called ENZYMES (Biological Catalysts) which catalyse reversible reactions. The proof 4 this statement is given in Bio bk -- LAMP Peng Kwan Pg no. 48 :eek:

Hope nw the confusion is solvd.... :geek:

Reaction score
but wht abt the catalysts definition.. in every book it says tht catalysts speeds up the chemical reation without itself being involved.. it shows tht catalyst dusnt take part in the reaction.. i think this is right.. the organic or inorganic option dusnt seem right ..

Reaction score
Just leave dat CATALYST ques guyx... its wrth only 1 mark... overall our both paprs 1 nd 2 went awesum so y care bout dat 1 mrk... nw its time to concntrate on PHYSICZ !!>... :cool:

Reaction score
yea u r write talha .. also we can do nuthin if r answr is wrong .. it will just make us more dissapointed.. so why not enjoy .. nd prepare for physics.. hope every1 duz gud in tht too . Good Luck y'all..!

Reaction score
people people the answer of the catalsyt quesiton is that they can be organic or organic and they dont take part in a chemical reaction they just speed up the reaction without themselves being chemically involved!

Reaction score
the ANSWER to the catylst Qs is ....organic and inorganic.....

catyslt take part in the reaction by forming INTERMEDIATE products but r regenerated at the end of the reaction.....

catylst allow both catabolic and anabolic reactions to take place; hence, they spedd up both forwaRD AND BACKWARD reactions ....

Reaction score
organic catalysts(if there are) r not in our syllabus...secondly can someone tell me a reaction in which catalyst takes place in the reaction???

it is written in our chem book that catalyst do not take part in any reaction they only lower down the activation energy...

Reaction score
Dashey said:
yayyyy i also wrote sulfuric acid!! :D

hey guys listen carefully now!!
i did a big blunder in p2!!! :O
i started doin it..and it ws so easy i din even bothered to check d question numbers.!!
anyways i din even knew when did section b started and as fr d choice i left 1 question!!
NOW I M NT SURE DAT WHETHER I LEFT 1 QUESTION OR 2..!!! :S
i remember d last question i did was sumfin bout potassium manganate in which we had to describe X's properties.!!
IF IT REALLY WAS THE LAST QUESTION THAN IM SAFE AND IF IT WASN'T MAYBE I LEFT a 10 mark QUESTION MAN!!
HELP ME IF SUMONE OF U REMEMBER PLZ!! :(

i think it was the last question the same happened to me i did all the questions and when the examiner was about to take the paper i just realized it so i wrote a short note in the front!!!i think they will mark all the question and then take those 3 in which i have scored most marks!!!! at least thats what i know!!!

Reaction score
jafar said:
in endothermic we have to decrease the temperature to get more product, but they increased increased the temperature so more reactants wil form, and the purple colur of HI will get lighter,

i think decreasing the temperature is for exothermic and the purple colour fades because the reactants are being used up an making the product as in endothermic the energy is absorbed so the temperature will come back to normal!!!i exothermic energy is liberated so the temperature is decreased so that the product is made energy is given out an the temperature rises back to normal!!!
isnt it supposed to be this way??

Reaction score
Hamid this wont happen

ur last ques wont be marked...only the first 3 will be marked...and examiners do not give importance to such notes...

Reaction score
ahan well i am not pretty sure but it still the same i dont he would be able to cut more than a mark or 2 in any question ALHAMDULILAH!!!
still thnx for ur concern n!!! :)
u earlier rote about catalysts actually inorganic and organic catalyst option was more appropriate but at our stage it was that they do not take part in the reaction we will study about inorganic n organic in the coming years and yeah catalyst do take part in a reaction but are regenerated at the end and hence there mass isnt change this will also b dealt in the coming years dont worry for now the option that they dont take part in the reaction is correct this question came to my mind around a month ago when me and my friends were doing combined studies i asked the examiner(via email) and he told me that at our stage we have to take it as catalyst dont take part in the reaction!!
hope this relieves everyones tension who like me marked B as correct!!! :)

JAZAKALLAH

Reaction score
yes they dont take part...take an example of iron...iron does not react in the haber process but however it does speed up the reaction...

Reaction score
In that catalyst question i wrote dont take part in reaction.
Thats what i have been hearing since last 3 years so i was sure.
Also guys i have 3 questions regarding paper 2
In 1 Q part 4 Section A what is used to remove sulphur dioxide gas???
In sec A last Q first part did we have to write the name of polymer or type of polymer???
Lastly in Section B that liquid O2 part i wrote that it is easy to handle liquids than gases thats why the oxygen is in liquid form is it right???
Please guys answer it i will be grateful.

Reaction score
Balaj Hassan said:

Its Calcium Carbonate. Sulfur dioxide is removed in catalytic converters by CaCO3

Reaction score
Balaj Hassan said:
In that catalyst question i wrote dont take part in reaction.
Thats what i have been hearing since last 3 years so i was sure.
In sec A last Q first part did we have to write the name of polymer or type of polymer???
Lastly in Section B that liquid O2 part i wrote that it is easy to handle liquids than gases thats why the oxygen is in liquid form is it right???
Please guys answer it i will be grateful.

Calcium carbonate is used in flue gas desulphurisation.
Section A Q5.The answer was addition polymer
Section B question: In liquid state more mass of oxygen can be stored in a less volume since liquid oxygen will be denser than in gaseous state

Reaction score
the removing one was caco3
addition polymer
yes it is right it is easy to handle them when in liquid state

Reaction score
hello students!
how was the paper?
what u answered for; why the farmer should use ptassium nitrate insted of ammonium phosphate?