• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P4| A2 only

Reaction score
Hi i have a past paper question:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...d AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s08_qp_4.pdf
Please see page 7 of it..and see the last part ....I cant understand this
In the previous part delta H for M=Si is -474kj/mol and for next part M=Sn delta H is=-386 kj/mol..
Now as we know that Sn is more stable in +4 Oxidation state and Pb is more stable in +2 oxidation state...then how do results in calculation support this fact???
It is contradictory for me , becauase stability of a compound is associated with its enthalpy change..More exothermic is the formation of a compound..more stable it is....but here formation of SnCl4 is less exothermic (-386kJ/mol) and formation of PbCl4 is more exothermic....Pls see. and help me!

Reaction score

mmm why is there only three arrows shouldnt it be like this
and you havent explained me the rest of the part :(bl;a.png

Reaction score
Yes, maybe depending on how many eletrons are there in the d orbital!

I posted the image of an element having 3 electrons in its d orbital so thats why
so what is the right answer ?
and please explian the rest of the question

Reaction score
In diagram, you do not have to show electrons!
Just show the orbitals, thats it!

Complexes are coloured because when an electron in lower orbital moves to high orbital, it needs energy!
This energy it gets as it absorbs a photon of energy E = hf
As it absorbs some frequencies of light and reflects the rest, it is coloured!

The 'E' in the formula E =hf is dependent on the ligand present.
So if ligands are changed, 'E' changes hence different frequency lights are absorbed and reflected, so colour changes!

Reaction score

Complexes are coloured because when an electron in lower orbital moves to high orbital, it needs energy!

So if ligands are changed, 'E' changes hence different frequency lights are absorbed and reflected, so colour changes!
Isn't this quantum physics?? :S Y is it here!!! ?!

Reaction score

you just quoted the same thing like the markscheme :/ oh well nvm

Reaction score
hiii everyone..i was facing problems in section B ques...when they ask about PVC...plastic..glass etc :S:S info on all this isnt given in the application booklet..and these questions are frequesntly asked nowadays..sooo does anyone know what we are supposed to know concerning this or does anyone have some resourse??