• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry paper 1 and 2

Reaction score
Well, my paper went extremely well but still i am confused on some questions. I will admire your help

1. which produces hydrogen
a. calcium oxide and water
b...................
c..................
d. magnesium and steam

I was confused in these two. can you tell which one was correct

2. The two statements
(1) useful fractions are obtained by fractional distillation of petroleum
(2) the fraction with the lowest boiling point will be at the top of fractionating column

What was the answer to this

3. catalyst
a. may be inorganic or organic
b. donot take part in reaction
c......
d........

Which was the correct one?

Paper2

zinc is added to excess hcl. then sodium hydroxide is added until it is excess. Observations?

Reaction score
A. metal and acid produces hydrogen .!

3. catalyst
A. (a) may be inorganic or organic.!

Reaction score
Syed Ali said:
Well, my paper went extremely well but still i am confused on some questions. I will admire your help

b...................
c..................
d. magnesium and steam (D) IS CORRECT

2. The two statements
(2) the fraction with the lowest boiling point will be at the top of fractionating column

What was the answer to this A WAS THE ANSWER

3. catalyst
c......
d........

Which was the correct one? (B)

Paper2

zinc is added to excess hcl. then sodium hydroxide is added until it is excess. Observations?
WHITE PPT OF ZN(OH)2 WHICH DISSOLVES COLOURLESS SOLUTION

Reaction score
Syed Ali said:

b...................
c..................
d. magnesium and steam

2. The two statements

3. catalyst
c......
d........

Paper2

We arn't meant to talk about the paper till 24 hours after it, but i guess i can still talk to you about it as it says you cant talk to people who havent given the paper whereas you obviously have.

The second one's answer was A that the statement explains it and both are correct because its true that the fraction with the lowest boiling point will be at the top of fractionating column

the answer to the MCQ is d as d. magnesium and steam react to produce MgO and H2 :)

And the catalyst one was very very stupidly tricky, I got it wrong. the answer was the it can be organic or inorganic. Catalyst do take part in the reactions which they catalyse, but are regenerated in the process. =/

for your paper 2 the observations i think were that all the Zinc would dissolve, effervescence would be produced and a colorless solution forms..then when NaOH is added,, the solution remains colorless. I AM NOT SURE but i think this is the ans.

Reaction score
The answer to p2 observation is: a white precipitate of Zn(OH)2 is formed which dissolves in excess of NaOH

Reaction score
yes.!
first white precipitate would be formed which will dissolve in excess of NaOH.~

Reaction score
Syed Ali said:

b...................
c..................
d. magnesium and steam

2. The two statements

3. catalyst
c......
d........

Paper2

the first mcq wil b d
magnesium and steam ...it had me going to until i realised that calcium oxide was already a salt waould not react with water

the satements was A....both were correct and 2 explains 1

the catylst was inorganic and organic

P2.....white percipitate would form....would dissolve in excess of NaOH....

Reaction score
The answer to the MCQ is d as d. magnesium and steam react to produce MgO and H2 :)

And the catalyst one was very very stupidly tricky, I got it wrong. the answer was the it can be organic or inorganic. Catalyst do take part in the reactions which they catalyse, but are regenerated in the process. =/

for your paper 2 the observations i think were that all the Zinc would dissolve, effervescence would be produced and a colorless solution forms..then when NaOH is added,, the solution remains colorless. I AM NOT SURE but i think this is the ans.

I too marked d but calcium oxide and water will also produce hydrogen. what do you say about that?

I am still not sure about the catalyst part. Can you name any organic catalyst. I donot think it is in our syllabus

Reaction score
i chose that option for the catalyst which tells that it does not take part in the reaction bcoz its unchanged in the reaction..........

Reaction score
people enzymes are organic catalyst.... i did this mcq rong... but after the paper i thought about it

Reaction score
the first mcq wil b d
magnesium and steam ...it had me going to until i realised that calcium oxide was already a salt waould not react with water

the satements was A....both were correct and 2 explains 1

the catylst was inorganic and organic

P2.....white percipitate would form....would dissolve in excess of NaOH....

Calcium oxide is not a salt, it's a base

Besides the formation of white ppt of znoh2, I wrote that a green gas ( chlorine ) will be released. Is it right?

Reaction score
no chlorine will not for... y wud it? it was just like the test of a cation Zn2+. But u could write that beaker will get warm as Zinc reacted with HCl first

Reaction score
Syed Ali said:

b...................
c..................
d. magnesium and steam

2. The two statements

3. catalyst
c......
d........

Paper2

1. it was D .. magnesium with steam ==> MgO nd H2
2.it was A.. both statements are corect and 2 explains 1. .
3. it ws B.. they do not take part in chemical reactions .. the definition always explains this.. nd if u hav biology thn u will no tht catalysts do not take part in the reaction..

Reaction score
following answers are correct
magnesium and steam.

Mg + H20 ---> MgO + H2
catalysts do not take part in reactions. (remember the only catalysts we study at o levels are inorganic for example nickel, manganese, vanadium (V) oxide. etc.

Reaction score
nd wht abt the second ques.. . abt fractional distilation of crude oil..

Reaction score
* in papr 1 wat was da ans to ques. which askd dat if hydrocrbns hv same % by mass of hydrogen then vat vill be the same 4 them:
a --- molecular formula
b --- emperical formula
c --- structural formula
d --- molecular mass

* in paper 2 wat wer da two physicl properties of Francium nd vat was da equation for the reaction btween Francium nd water??