• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 33 Purity% answer of CaCO3 and what were the metal and anions

Reaction score
No, the tables are fine: you may use a pencil for any diagrams, tables, graphs or rough working.
But other then that: not allowed.
phewwwwwww i almost had a heart attack lol i though these also r not allowed..

Reaction score
yes the ppt was cream. iodide give quite a bright yellow ppt, so i'm pretty sure the ion was bromide. =)
No. It has been confirmed by my teacher that it was iodide. And it was in no way cream. It was pale yellow colour but sadly not as bright as it usually is. You should have checked with Lead Nitrate too. That would have confirmed. Plus, the precipitate was not soluble at all in NH3. There is a different observation for sparingly soluble.

Reaction score
No. It has been confirmed by my teacher that it was iodide. And it was in no way cream. It was pale yellow colour but sadly not as bright as it usually is. You should have checked with Lead Nitrate too. That would have confirmed. Plus, the precipitate was not soluble at all in NH3. There is a different observation for sparingly soluble.

That's so unfair.... I was having doubts about the colour of the ppt when I tested with Silver Nitrate and When I asked for lead(II) nitrate from the invigilator, he told me I was not allowed to use additional reagents.... So I wrote Bromide :'(

Reaction score
>>FA1 titres ~ 24.50 cm^3 and 18.50 cm^3
>>%purity of limestone ~ 75%
>>Reaction in a(iii): Redox [I-(aq) gets oxidized, simultaneously reducing Mn(VII)]
>>Oxidation states of Mn: +2 and +4
>>halides: Cl-(aq) and I-(aq)*
>>Observation on adding HCl(l) to Cu(II)SO4 ~ blue solution decolorizes to give a sap-green coloration.

*[Pb(NO3)2 was not required, but if you used it as a deterrent, I hope you didn't mention it in the paper: NO ADDITIONAL CONFIRMATORY TESTS] ;)

Reaction score
That's so unfair.... I was having doubts about the colour of the ppt when I tested with Silver Nitrate and When I asked for lead(II) nitrate from the invigilator, he told me I was not allowed to use additional reagents.... So I wrote Bromide :'(
I didn't even have time to check with Lead nitrate. But I was assured when the precipitate didn't dissolve even a bit.

Reaction score
I didn't even have time to check with Lead nitrate. But I was assured when the precipitate didn't dissolve even a bit.

Well my bad luck... There will be ecf for the next part? If I wrote Br-, then my observation will be different with conc. H2SO4

Reaction score
I did my practical exam in pencil! Would it make any difference?

You must be kidding me! How can you be so blasé, Whocares*?

*no pun intended. ;)

The invigilators in my center called all those who answered in graphite back and made them trace each and every word in their papers with ink. CIE standards and policies: utter fiasco! :cool:

aom

Reaction score
I did my practical exam in pencil! Would it make any difference?
I don't think it will make any difference as long as the examiner can see what you wrote...... the point of the exam is not to see if u can write with a pen, it is to test your knowledge.

Reaction score
I don't think it will make any difference as long as the examiner can see what you wrote...... the point of the exam is not to see if u can write with a pen, it is to test your knowledge.

READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST
9701/33
page1image32776

Write your Centre number, candidate number and name on all the work you hand in.
Give details of the practical session and laboratory where appropriate, in the boxes provided. Write in dark blue or black pen.
You may use a soft pencil for any diagrams, graphs or rough working.

P.S. Cambridge makes FIVE xerox copies of your paper prior to correction. They mark [R] for answers in graphite. :cautious:

aom

Reaction score
READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST
9701/33
page1image32776

Write your Centre number, candidate number and name on all the work you hand in.
Give details of the practical session and laboratory where appropriate, in the boxes provided. Write in dark blue or black pen.
You may use a soft pencil for any diagrams, graphs or rough working.

P.S. Cambridge makes FIVE xerox copies of your paper prior to correction. They mark [R] for answers in graphite. :cautious:
From where did u get this please ?? I mean the P.S thing

Reaction score
From where did u get this please ?? I mean the P.S thing

That, my friend, is a verbal excerpt from a skirmish between my friend and her Chem teacher when she got a 0/40 in her 9701/33 mock examination. ;)

Reaction score
Okay, but i wrote all my Biology paper 33 AS in pencil what should i do???

I really don't think you can do anything about it now. When CIE sends you your SoR, bid for re-evaluation stating that your pen's gel-ink gradient was balked after you attempted to dye the highly-obscured-plasmolysed-onion-cells with it. :cool:
Worrying now is futile. Rule your 9700/42! :)

Reaction score

I asked for lead nitrate too, and the invigilator replied the same. This really isn't fair. >.<

Reaction score
Titration values : 25 and 22 sth.
%age purity: around 75%
Anions: Iodide and Chloride
Oxidation states: +2 and +4