• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 4-theory- doubts =D

Reaction score
Assalamu Alykum wa Ra7matullahi wa Barakatuhu!!!
Al7amdulillah, we're done with the pathetic Paper 5 finally;)
So now we can start our Paper 4 practice... and we need to work extremely hard if we're really hoping for an A* inshAllah..
and the rest of it will be left to Allah (SWT), the One Who's Worthy of all Praise and Worship. If He Wills, nothing can ever stop us from succeeding! :)

Alright.. i don't know all the A-level Candidates on this forum, so i'm only tagging a few, but please brothers and sisters, tag fellow brothers and sisters if they do not know about this thread. Thank you, Jazakum Allahu Khair:)

Soldier313
Zari
Jiyad Ahsan
fadilah
xhizors
PhyZac
MaxStudentALevel
pearl angel
@everyone else...wow.. long list MashAllah;)

Wa alaykum salaam wr wb!
That's a great idea knowitall10 (y) JazakAllah khair :)
So we need to start working asap guys.
If anyone's got short notes for any of the tough topics (like NMR, group trends as suggested above), i think we should collect them here.
And we could discuss all the hard qns inshaAllah :)
Hoping this thread will help us get amazing grades inshaAllah :)

Reaction score
how to find orders of reagents ?
Assalamu Alaykum
The electrode potential values... the more positive, the easier it is to reduce the ions on the left.. so the ion on the right is relatively unreactive and a relatively poor reducing agent.

Reaction score
Assalamu Alaykum
The electrode potential values... the more positive, the easier it is to reduce the ions on the left.. so the ion on the right is relatively unreactive and a relatively poor reducing agent.
I doubt i answered ur question:unsure:

Reaction score
No it depends on their concentrations, comparing their concentration and rate of reaction you can find out if they are first second or third order...

First order is when the concentration increase and the rate of reaction increases to a ratio of 1:1
2nd order 1:2
3rd order 1:3

Reaction score
Assalamu Alaykum
very bad u mixed electrochemistry with reaction kinetics

Reaction score
You can find the order by either drawing a graph of rate against concentration and check ita proptionality initial rates method
or by rate determining facts
slow reactions reagants

Reaction score
What
You can find the order by either drawing a graph of rate against concentration and check ita proptionality initial rates method
or by rate determining facts
slow reactions reagants
What do u mean "slow reactions reagents"?

Reaction score
And guys/gals, this is not a test or anything, but can someone please explain what's the half equation of the half cell on the left (the one with the solid sulfer deposit) and please provide me with an explanation:)
Thank you very much!
Jazakum Allahu Khair:)

Attachments

• DSC05203.JPG
    DSC05203.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Another question: When we change the direction of a half equation, does the electrode potential value become negative if it were positive before?

Reaction score
No it stays the same.
Ahhh.. thank God u answered!!! JazakAllah! thank u! Phew! I was dying already.. there's so much of the crappy syll to finish in 3 days!!!
But thanks man(or girl?)!! I really appreciate ur reply.. at least some1's awake at ths time;)

Reaction score
And guys/gals, this is not a test or anything, but can someone please explain what's the half equation of the half cell on the left (the one with the solid sulfer deposit) and please provide me with an explanation:)
Thank you very much!
Jazakum Allahu Khair:)
The voltmeter shows that sulphur is on the +ve side, which means that it undergoes reduction (and hydrogen ions get oxidized).
Reduction is gain of electrons therefore the equation linking solid sulfur and sulfur ions becomes: S + 2e- ---> S^-2

Reaction score
Ahhh.. thank God u answered!!! JazakAllah! thank u! Phew! I was dying already.. there's so much of the crappy syll to finish in 3 days!!!
But thanks man(or girl?)!! I really appreciate ur reply.. at least some1's awake at ths time;)
Ahaha you're welcome :D but 3 days??! I thought we still had seven days.

Reaction score
The voltmeter shows that sulphur is on the +ve side, which means that it undergoes reduction (and hydrogen ions get oxidized).
Reduction is gain of electrons therefore the equation linking solid sulfur and sulfur ions becomes: S + 2e- ---> S^-2
Ahaha you're welcome :D but 3 days??! I thought we still had seven days.
Hey man! Thanks a LOT!!!!! Jazak Allahu Khair!!!:D
Oh yeah, i planned on finishing the course off in 3 days thoroughly and then do some P4 butt kicking... although that snap shot i posted kinda discouraged me, lol;)

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, i just figured out that the cell potential of a viable reaction must be positive... did u know that? I didnt.. that's news to me :cautious: