• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 4-theory- doubts =D

Reaction score
The sign does change, you check again...
Sorry, I still don't get you.
What you mean to say is that if we consider the equation Ag+ + e- ---> Ag, we take E°= +0.80V but when we consider Ag ---> Ag+ + e-, we take -0.80?? :confused:
I seriously doubt that. :unsure:

Reaction score
Sorry, I still don't get you.
What you mean to say is that if we consider the equation Ag+ + e- ---> Ag, we take E°= +0.80V but when we consider Ag ---> Ag+ + e-, we take -0.80?? :confused:
I seriously doubt that. :unsure:
I was changing signs until i came across this question (I call these type of questions "Fasad")...it was in my book, and the retarded author ddnt change the sign. But when u told me, it was confirmed, No Sign Changes, but then brother Ariel comes up and goes like "Yo, the sign changes:cool:" so basically, ur not the only one whose mind just got messed up abt ths...I'm with ya. and like i said, the whole population of A level will be unless this is not neatly explained....

Reaction score
LOL! It's so cool to watch this:p
I'm sorry nope, not cool :/
The thing is, i wouldnt have been asking ths, but za broblem (Arab way of saying "the problem" ;)) is that my school teacher says that yep, it changes, but my tutor says, nope batai, it will never change... its not just amongst u... this confusion will still grow when every1 wakes up;)
I get confused with the signs, too. In my book it says if the electrochemical reaction is the other way round, the sign changes. But in the papers, the sign isn't meant to change. So doubtful which one to employ, maybe there's complicated rule as to when the sign changes and when it doesn't?

Reaction score
I was changing signs until i came across this question (I call these type of questions "Fasad")...it was in my book, and the retarded author ddnt change the sign. But when u told me, it was confirmed, No Sign Changes, but then brother Ariel comes up and goes like "Yo, the sign changes:cool:" so basically, ur not the only one whose mind just got messed up abt ths...I'm with ya. and like i said, the whole population of A level will be unless this is not neatly explained....
Okay, I'm Very certain on this one: the sign does not change.
Though it might be that those who say it does, follow a slightly different method after changing the sign. I get my answers right without changing it, so I'd just stick to that :p

Reaction score
Okay, I'm Very certain on this one: the sign does not change.
Though it might be that those who say it does, follow a slightly different method after changing the sign. I get my answers right without changing it, so I'd just stick to that :p
Goody! :) NOw u threw me on my own...:cautious:

jk;)

Reaction score
I get confused with the signs, too. In my book it says if the electrochemical reaction is the other way round, the sign changes. But in the papers, the sign isn't meant to change. So doubtful which one to employ, maybe there's complicated rule as to when the sign changes and when it doesn't?
I've the opposite problem... the papers change the sign and i swear i dnt use another method Gémeaux

Reaction score
Ok guys i found the problem, Gémeaux way is correct, but there also another way where you have to change the sign and add all of them, not like E(left) - E(right), you just add all of them, Last year i remember me and my friend had a fight on this thing...

Reaction score
Ok guys i found the problem, Gémeaux way is correct, but there also another way where you have to change the sign and add all of them, not like E(left) - E(right), you just add all of them, Last year i remember me and my friend had a fight on this thing...

:eek:- on YOU FOUGHT OVER THIS CRAP?????!!!!
&o_O (VAT??)- on u didn't go to sleep?:cautious:

Reaction score
See, problem solved. The method varies. Phew.

I guess you mistook *me* to be serious... naah.
Right, I'd check that.
Naa.. given the time of the night, i ddnt think u'd actually mean wht u said;)
and yes....Phew!!!!...u were right?