• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 4-theory- doubts =D

Reaction score
Aneways you guys keep Posting your doubts and ill try to solve more, I jus ♥ Chemistry...
what a liar! I'm in Riyadh..... and i know ur not gona sleep.....ufff bro, i can't believe u broke ur friendship over this cra--- ughnever mind... good night just in case ur really gonna sleep:rolleyes:

Reaction score
yeah... no one ever says "I'm wrong" anymore:p
I'm kiddind:) I swear.. i'm not being rude or anything..
Ahaha, no trust me I really do that Very often :p But this thing, I was very sure on it cuz we had a nice long lecture from our teacher over this.
Oh come on, I know you aren't being rude.

Reaction score
Wa alaykum salaam wr wb!
That's a great idea knowitall10 (y) JazakAllah khair :)
So we need to start working asap guys.
If anyone's got short notes for any of the tough topics (like NMR, group trends as suggested above), i think we should collect them here.
And we could discuss all the hard qns inshaAllah :)
Hoping this thread will help us get amazing grades inshaAllah :)
Wa iyyaki!!!!!:D

Reaction score
I get confused with the signs, too. In my book it says if the electrochemical reaction is the other way round, the sign changes. But in the papers, the sign isn't meant to change. So doubtful which one to employ, maybe there's complicated rule as to when the sign changes and when it doesn't?
Did u get it now?

Reaction score
Umm.. i was just reading that chem guide site... it said that the cell potential of a viable reaction must be positive. you know how we calculate the overall cell potential when two half equations are given yeah? Yeah, that's basically supposed to be positive if we want to prove that the reaction does take place...if u dont get it, do u want me to post the link? It's an important point... u might wanna c it for yourself:)
yup if the overall difference in two elctrodes potential is positive means reaction is possible else not possible
also a key point
when a chemical equation has a negative electrode potential it means the metal of that guy(electrode) has more tendency to loose e/s than its ions(in electrolyte) to gain e/s thats why overall potential becomes -ve
hope i haven't confuse you!

Reaction score
And guys/gals, this is not a test or anything, but can someone please explain what's the half equation of the half cell on the left (the one with the solid sulfer deposit) and please provide me with an explanation:)
Thank you very much!
Jazakum Allahu Khair:)
Does your question resist ?

Reaction score
Not really :(
Look, my friend, you can do it either way, when u reverse the signs (which happens when u reverse the equation), you simply add all of them.
Another way is, you don
t reverse the signs and then you use the {E more +ve - E less +ve}... now? do u get it?

Reaction score
Assalamoalikum
for anyone confused about electrode potential (sign) see its simple just use concept instead of formulas see if u reverse the equation OBVIOUSLY sign of the electrode potential changes if you removing an electron instead of adding Will electrode potential remain same?? no
-so first see which half cell reaction has a higher potential that will gaining electron (reduction) keep its question forward with the same +potential
-now reverse the other cell equation as if one is reducing its ganing electron where does the electron come from? from the other cell which is oxidising so reverse the sign for this other question as ur reversing it equation (oxiding)
now add the 2 values as one is reducing the other is oxidising we have to see which one is more like potential provided by the oxidising of that electron is enough for the reducing process to accept that electron in order that reaction happens