• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Please someone explain these paper 2 questions!

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_qp_21.pdf
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_ms_21.pdf
Q 3 (a iii) the answer is that activation energy is too high thats why reaction does not take place but i dont get why and how it will be high:confused:
Q 3 (c) explain why the shape of the graph is like that shown in the mark scheme.......i dont get it at all!
Q 4 (a iii) Why cant there be another compound apart from A and D as written in the mark scheme? E can show position isomerism......cant it?

3 (a iii) the activation energy is high because it takes a lot of energy to break the Cl - Cl bond and that is why this reaction only takes place up in the atmosphere where it destroys the ozone layer.
3 (c) okay, this needs a lengthy explanation but overall, it's do to with the bong energy and the energy required to break them and then the graph goes down because the energy is released ---> exothermic. and then the graph stabilizes because products are formed and reaction has stopped.
4 (a iii) I'm not so good at organic chemistry sorry.
:) (y)

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s05_qp_2.pdf

Q2 (d) (iii)

My volume is 18.26 dm^3 while the marking scheme's answer is 9.13 dm^3. But that's because the equation in the MS was multiplied by 2. Is this necessary, and is my answer right or wrong?
Your answer is wrong. Let me explain.
First thing, your equation from (d)(i) should be correct, i.e:
H2S + 3/2O2 --> SO2 + H2O

If 34.1 g(Mr) of H2S -------------> 1 mole of H2S
Then, 8.65g of H2S ---------------> 0.2537 moles of H2S

From your equation,
1 mole of H2S ----------------> 3/2 moles of O2
0.2537 moles H2S ------------>0.3804 moles of O2

Volume of O2 = 0.3804 x 24 dm^3 = 9.13 dm^3 :)

Reaction score
Please someone explain these paper 2 questions!

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_qp_21.pdf
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_ms_21.pdf
Q 3 (a iii) the answer is that activation energy is too high thats why reaction does not take place but i dont get why and how it will be high:confused:
Q 3 (c) explain why the shape of the graph is like that shown in the mark scheme.......i dont get it at all!
Q 4 (a iii) Why cant there be another compound apart from A and D as written in the mark scheme? E can show position isomerism......cant it?

I guess question 4 a(iii) remained unanswered. so let me try to help you guys.
A bears optical isomerism because its central atom bears 4 different constituents.
D, on the other hand, has stereoisomerism, where there is one double bond and 2H groups on top and 2CH3 groups down or vice versa, or it can be One H bond and 1 CH3 bond on top and same at bottom.
See, A and D have 2 different types of isomerism: optical and stereo
However for B, has neither optical nor stereo for it has not 4 different constituents and no similar (e.g. 2H and 2 CH3) groups arranged in different ways.
Also C,E,F have isomers but not of different types, same for B.
Hope my answer has been helpful. ^^

Reaction score
Your answer is wrong. Let me explain.
First thing, your equation from (d)(i) should be correct, i.e:
H2S + 3/2O2 --> SO2 + H2O

If 34.1 g(Mr) of H2S -------------> 1 mole of H2S
Then, 8.65g of H2S ---------------> 0.2537 moles of H2S

From your equation,
1 mole of H2S ----------------> 3/2 moles of O2
0.2537 moles H2S ------------>0.3804 moles of O2

Volume of O2 = 0.3804 x 24 dm^3 = 9.13 dm^3 :)
Thanks. I realized my (very silly) mistake, I wrote 16g for O2 instead of 32 g.

Reaction score
Thanks. I realized my (very silly) mistake, I wrote 16g for O2 instead of 32 g.
o_O There's no need to find the mass of O2 in one mole. Oh! In the equation, its (1.5)O2, not 32.
Have u understood what i posted, or should i explain it to you other wise?
Btw, u're welcome

Reaction score
o_O There's no need to find the mass of O2 in one mole. Oh! In the equation, its (1.5)O2, not 32.
Have u understood what i posted, or should i explain it to you other wise?
Btw, u're welcome
I got it. Basically, I solved the entire question using grams, and then converted grams into dm^3 in the end:

H2S : O2
34.1 : 68
8.65 : x

x = 12.17 g of Oxygen.

g : dm^3
32 : 24
12.17 : y

y = 9.13 dm^3 :)

Reaction score
Guys, I think the marking scheme is wrong here. Check out Question 5.

The third box, the marking key says E only.
But wouldn't the ketone and aldeyde be reduced by H2(Hydrogen)
It should've been C,D and E.

^Anyone, HELP? :p
Page 122 last post!

Reaction score
Guys, I think the marking scheme is wrong here. Check out Question 5.

The third box, the marking key says E only.
But wouldn't the ketone and aldeyde be reduced by H2(Hydrogen)
It should've been C,D and E.
dude Hydroen n platinum catalyst i used for hydrogenation of alkenes to saturate the thats just E

Reaction score
hey guys... i just dont get that what and how to study for chemistry paper 5.. n good tips for that paper... the marking schemes r not clear enough to assure u...

Reaction score
I got it. Basically, I solved the entire question using grams, and then converted grams into dm^3 in the end:

H2S : O2
34.1 : 68
8.65 : x

x = 12.17 g of Oxygen.

g : dm^3
32 : 24
12.17 : y

y = 9.13 dm^3 :)

sounds okay. But if you have a look at your data booklet, it says that molar volume of gas under room conditions is 24 dm^3 per mole. So, preferably, work in moles.
I don't know if examiners will accept if u work in grams but to play safe, work in moles. ;)

Jaf

Reaction score
Get your facts straight. They are used to reduce them!
But we haven't studied the chemistry of it yet. So for us such a reaction, in effect, does not exist.
I know, I know there's an MCQ which assumes you DO know this happens but there it's a different issue (the other options are absolutely wrong).

This is just one of the things really messed up about CIE. The syllabi expect us to learn oversimplified stuff which doesn't really happen (or does happen, if you're following my argument here!) in the real world. This is just one example. Another example is the oxidation ketones. We've been taught that potassium per manganate does not (more like, can not...) oxidize ketones but fact is, it can and very well does! We're just not required to know it.

Reaction score
But we haven't studied the chemistry of it yet. So for us such a reaction, in effect, does not exist.
I know, I know there's an MCQ which assumes you DO know this happens but there it's a different issue (the other options are absolutely wrong).

This is just one of the things really messed up about CIE. The syllabi expect us to learn oversimplified stuff which doesn't really happen (or does happen, if you're following my argument here!) in the real world. This is just one example. Another example is the oxidation ketones. We've been taught that potassium per manganate does not (more like, can not...) oxidize ketones but fact is, it can and very well does! We're just not required to know it.
Actually in our class we have very well studied about H2 and its reducing ability. The fact is CIE are too buzzed to even correct the marking scheme, God knows whats up with them.