• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
smzimran
I need your help. can you clear that doubt in me please?
Can you explain the relationship between nuclear charge, effective nuclear charge and shielding effect? Is the nuclear charge concerned with the overall charge of an element/ion???

Reaction score
smzimran
I need your help. can you clear that doubt in me please?
Can you explain the relationship between nuclear charge, effective nuclear charge and shielding effect? Is the nuclear charge concerned with the overall charge of an element/ion???
I believe i have explained this to you before.
ANyways:
Nuclear charge is the charge of ALL protons in the nucleus.
For example, for a nucleus of carbon (which has 6 protons in its nucleus), the nuclear charge is +6

Effective nuclear charge is the net charge on an ion.
In an atom, the charge of protons and charge of electrons cancel each other out as there are equla number of protons and electrons.
In an ion , however, the protons are not equal to electrons so a net charge is developed. This is effective nuclear charge.

Shielding effect is the weakening of electrostatic force of attraction of the nucleus to valence shell electrons by the nearer shell electrons.
It results in the atom losing electrons mostly...

Reaction score
I believe i have explained this to you before.
ANyways:
Nuclear charge is the charge of ALL protons in the nucleus.
For example, for a nucleus of carbon (which has 6 protons in its nucleus), the nuclear charge is +6

Effective nuclear charge is the net charge on an ion.
In an atom, the charge of protons and charge of electrons cancel each other out as there are equla number of protons and electrons.
In an ion , however, the protons are not equal to electrons so a net charge is developed. This is effective nuclear charge.

Shielding effect is the weakening of electrostatic force of attraction of the nucleus to valence shell electrons by the nearer shell electrons.
It results in the atom losing electrons mostly...
Yeah its just that i felt confused again. But now i'm more confident. Thanks mate.

Reaction score
Assalamon alaykum wrwb

can someone pls pls urgently help me with qn no 1aii.) i am kinda confused, why does the LHS have to be negative electrode, and if possible could a diagram be drawn?

QP: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s05_qp_4.pdf

MS: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s05_ms_4.pdf

Jazakallah!

2(H+) + 2(e) = (H2)
A negative electrode(cathode) is a source of electrons. Therefore since hydrogen gas is produced, so left electrode is connected to the negative power source. Hope this answers it.

Reaction score
2(H+) + 2(e) = (H2)
A negative electrode(cathode) is a source of electrons. Therefore since hydrogen gas is produced, so left electrode is connected to the negative power source. Hope this answers it.
thanx a lot bro, but as you said -ve electrode is a source of electrons, the LHS is accepting electrons rather than donating, so how does it become -ve electrode??
hope my question is understand-able.....

Reaction score
thanx a lot bro, but as you said -ve electrode is a source of electrons, the LHS is accepting electrons rather than donating, so how does it become -ve electrode??
hope my question is understand-able.....

The electrode is not accepting the electrons, hydrogen is accepting it. And the electrode is donating the electrons to the hydrogen ions. Hope it clarifies it.. if not say it

Reaction score
Describe and explain how the solubility of sulfates of group 2 elements vary down the group.
Is there a easy way of memorizing how the enthalpy of hydration, lattice enthalpy and enthalpy of solution change down the group?

Reaction score
And is there a easy way for memorizing the positive and negative sign of a endo/exothermic reaction? i always get confused b/w the 2

Reaction score
And is there a easy way for memorizing the positive and negative sign of a endo/exothermic reaction? i always get confused b/w the 2
Take it upon yourself like taking chocolates.
"Endo" is a latin word which means to absorb/ to take in/ to accept... you accept chocolates so, its a positive thing. So an endothermic reaction is +ve kJmol-1
"Exo" is yet another latin word which means to release/to give out... so you don't like when chocolates go away from you, so you have a negative feeling. Exothermic reactions are -ve kJmol-1
Hope it helped. :)

Reaction score
Take it upon yourself like taking chocolates.
"Endo" is a latin word which means to absorb/ to take in/ to accept... you accept chocolates so, its a positive thing. So an endothermic reaction is +ve kJmol-1
"Exo" is yet another latin word which means to release/to give out... so you don't like when chocolates go away from you, so you have a negative feeling. Exothermic reactions are -ve kJmol-1
Hope it helped. :)

Thanks alot Amy Bloom.... talking abt chocolate helped alot as well, bcoz i love chocolates...:)