• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Im pretty sure the majority of xtreme speaks urdu. :p

And I believe for chirality or isomeric compounds the examiner says ANY may be accepted, as long as they are reasonably possible to make or exist at all.

Reaction score
Question guys..

C4H8O2 contains C=C and OH ... Two types of steroisomerism exist for this compound... Draw the displayed formula of both pairs of isomers ( 4 compounds )

One is cis-trans...
This is the marking scheme's answer
51891a04c5697.png

This is my answer: ( i was too lazy to draw the trans in paint... :D )
51891b8f9f7c2.png

Now my question, is the marking scheme answer the only answer they accept, because that would be just unfair :p
Something sbout your diagram doesnt seem to be right... Can someone help me with what's wrong in his diagram? I would draw the mark scheme answer.. nothing else would really occur to me...

Reaction score
Theres also nuecleophilic substitution.

And Alice:

All period 3 elements react with Oxygen [except argon, ofcourse]

They form oxides and burn with varying flame colors [White for MG/AL, blue for sulphur, yellow for phosphorous etc] The oxide formula depends on their valency and some exist as different oxides [e.g SO2, SO3].

They form chlorides [except Chlorine, ofcourse, and argon] as well, but these usually have a constant formulae.

They will ALWAYS BE POSITIVE OXIDATION NUMBER as they react with elements MORE ELECTRONEGATIVE THEN THEMSELF.

For example Na gives Na+ usually, makes Na2O
Mg gives Mg2+, gives MgO

Couldnt really find anything besides these....unless you meant reactions with water which are more towards RATTA then conceptual learning :)
THANKS.....Does Be react with water or oxygen??? Jinkglex its nt written in my book......

Reaction score
Question guys..

C4H8O2 contains C=C and OH ... Two types of steroisomerism exist for this compound... Draw the displayed formula of both pairs of isomers ( 4 compounds )

One is cis-trans...
This is the marking scheme's answer
51891a04c5697.png

This is my answer: ( i was too lazy to draw the trans in paint... :D )
51891b8f9f7c2.png

Now my question, is the marking scheme answer the only answer they accept, because that would be just unfair :p
Wait... i think yours will be accepted. It's exactly the same thing.. don't you think?

Reaction score
Be isnt a part of period 3 :p but as far as my opinion goes, i believe it would not react with oxygen or H20 as reactivity decreases going up group 2, and since Mg already has such a slow reaction, then the chances of Be reacting are minimal!

Btw, if i helped anyone here, i do request that you please do remember me in your prayers IA =)

Reaction score
Panda, did the marking scheme or question ever suggest the PLACEMENT of the OH being specific??

Reaction score
Close, but not the same...
Mine is 2 butene 2-3 diol...
The marking scheme is 2 butene 1-4 diol
Plus, you dont have to be mark scheme specific now do u? it's made for teachers... probably yours will be accepted cuz there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with it.

Reaction score
Be isnt a part of period 3 :p but as far as my opinion goes, i believe it would not react with oxygen or H20 as reactivity decreases going up group 2, and since Mg already has such a slow reaction, then the chances of Be reacting are minimal!

Btw, if i helped anyone here, i do request that you please do remember me in your prayers IA =)
its really annoying...,.:mad: im forgettting evrything b4 the exam ....... I'lll pray for u for sure....Hope u get the best grades!!!!!

Reaction score
Panda, did the marking scheme or question ever suggest the PLACEMENT of the OH being specific??

Well no, but I just want to know, are answers that are not in the marking scheme but satisfy the question correct, or must the be like the mark scheme... If they must be like the marking scheme, I'd be doomed

Reaction score
Well no, but I just want to know, are answers that are not in the marking scheme but satisfy the question correct, or must the be like the mark scheme... If they must be like the marking scheme, I'd be doomed
U worry too much..

Reaction score
Something sbout your diagram doesnt seem to be right... Can someone help me with what's wrong in his diagram? I would draw the mark scheme answer.. nothing else would really occur to me...

EXACTLY!! I thinkit has something to do with the groups attached but I'd draw the MS also.
Then again I can't pinpoint an error in his...