• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
HEY GUYS pleasssssse answer this for me:

STRUCTURAL FORMULA = OH(CH2)4OH for example
Right?
SKELETAL= OH/\/\/OH
Right?
DISPLAYED is where you show the bonds.

BUT in the A2 MS all organic comounds are given I skeletal? When it says "DRAW THE STRUCTURES"
Does that not mean draw structural formulae?

Reaction score
EXACTLY!! I thinkit has something to do with the groups attached but I'd draw the MS also.
Then again I can't pinpoint an error in his...
hmm i think that this question is the question where it says no oxygen atom is attached to carbon because if this is the case then ur answer is wrong plus ur answer is not fully displayed so it is wrong yeah. is this the question where it says no oxygen is attached to carbon=carbon double bond?

Reaction score
hmm i think that this question is the question where it says no oxygen atom is attached to carbon because if this is the case then ur answer is wrong plus ur answer is not fully displayed so it is wrong yeah. is this the question where it says no oxygen is attached to carbon=carbon double bond?

Obviously Thats it then. I haven't read the question, was just answering it based in what they posted.

Reaction score

Right?
SKELETAL= OH/\/\/OH
Right?

BUT in the A2 MS all organic comounds are given I skeletal? When it says "DRAW THE STRUCTURES"
if it didn't specify then i am sure it is accepted in any form but maybe since professional examiners set up the marking scheme for A levels then they draw the structures in skeletal formulas most of the time

Reaction score

Yes! That's it..
I didn't fully read the question :p My bad.

You have the eyes of a hawk o_O

Reaction score
if it didn't specify then i am sure it is accepted in any form but maybe since professional examiners set up the marking scheme for A levels then they draw the structures in skeletal formulas most of the time

Makes sense. Ithink I better ask a teacher for a confirmed opinion

Reaction score
I want to know how we calculate the kc like in questions may/June 2007 question. 2c
Kc is calculated using the formula
([C]^c x [D]^d )/([A]^a x ^b)

for a reaction: -
aA + bB --> cC + dD

where the small letters represent the number of moles of the substances (capital letters are substances)
x is the sign of multiplication
and do not use round brackets at all!! i used them just to show that all the products were in the numerator and theproducts are all in denominator

Reactions: asd
Reaction score

Right?
SKELETAL= OH/\/\/OH
Right?

Just draw what's easy for you when they don't specify. Examiner bara hadharam aadmi hai:p

Reaction score
One more thing iKhaled
Do we have to show all bonds when drawing a displayed formula?

Like if there's a big compound, can we draw CH3 as CH3 or do we have to draw it with all bonds?

Reaction score
One more thing iKhaled
Do we have to show all bonds when drawing a displayed formula?

Like if there's a big compound, can we draw CH3 as CH3 or do we have to draw it with all bonds?
if the question says "fully displayed" then yes u have to show every single bond or u will lose the mark for not showing it displayed. this applies more to optical isomerism

Reaction score
Hey can anyone step by step explain Q1 (c) for MJ12-41 ??
I always get SIMPLE lattice energy or enthalpy change questions in general wrong :/
I'd be forever greatfuk :((

Reaction score
Any other questions or queries guys?

BTW i have a question myself. Does reactivity depend on cation SIZE or charge and if so how does it depend on it? And also, what is the difference between ALKALI and BASE?

Reaction score
Any other questions or queries guys?

BTW i have a question myself. Does reactivity depend on cation SIZE or charge and if so how does it depend on it? And also, what is the difference between ALKALI and BASE?
Dude, you in AS or A2?
and not all alkali are bases but all bases are alkali. This is my IGCSE knowledge which always confuses me... maybe u understand it;)
Reactivity depends on numerous factors that are affected by size and charge.. for eg ionisation energy..or electronegativity.. am i right? It's been a while since i last looked at this chapter.. its about time i start revising(n)

Reaction score
Im in A2 :eek: why do you ask? and alright thanks :D I was just confused because i keep involving Lattice energy in here, which is strictly A2 :p

Reaction score
Dude, you in AS or A2?
and not all alkali are bases but all bases are alkali. This is my IGCSE knowledge which always confuses me... maybe u understand it;)
Reactivity depends on numerous factors that are affected by size and charge.. for eg ionisation energy..or electronegativity.. am i right? It's been a while since i last looked at this chapter.. its about time i start revising(n)

You got it wrong there, all alkali are bases bot not all bases are alkaline. This is because alkali's are bases which are dissolved in water, like NaOH(aq) for example.
Reactivity mainly depends on the effective nuclear charge, atomic radius, and molar mass (not really sure about molar mass lol).