• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Panda probably feels so damn awesome now... don't you
panda :p
i get that feeling too when i explain the smartypants in my class;)

Reaction score
yep thats right^

btw panda... i need a bit of help
in organic chemistry we have oxidising agents KMnO4 and K2Cr2O7
and some reactions state using only one.. is there a difference? similarly LiAlH4 and NaBH4..

KMnO4 is a strong oxidising agent if I'm not mistaken, and K2Cr2O7 is a weak oxidising agent.
You can use K2Cr2O7 for mild oxidation of Alcohol to Aldehydes... Unless a reflux with heat is used, then even K2Cr2O7 can oxidise alcohols directly to carboxylic acids.

Reaction score
Actually, KMnO4 is "Silently preferred" in A levels. Basically its stronger and agreed upon to be stronger by most books, so that is what is expected of you

similarly, LiAlBH4 is STRONGER, but NaBH4 is more COMMONLY USED. Select at your own choice.

Reaction score
KMnO4 is a strong oxidising agent if I'm not mistaken, and K2Cr2O7 is a weak oxidising agent.
You can use K2Cr2O7 for mild oxidation of Alcohol to Aldehydes... Unless a reflux with heat is used, then even K2Cr2O7 can oxidise alcohols directly to carboxylic acids.
Really, i always thought there was no difference... do they mark it wrong or anything if we confuse the two in the exam?

Reaction score

umm yeah that i sorta knew.. i was thinking .. like..Why is one stronger and the other not?..

Reaction score
umm yeah that i sorta knew.. i was thinking .. like..Why is one stronger and the other not?..
Although the mechanism for strength of oxidising agent is not involved in the A2 syllabus at all, its basically left best to say that ones mechanism of action is simply superior in speed or efficiency then the others.

Reaction score
Actually, KMnO4 is "Silently preferred" in A levels. Basically its stronger and agreed upon to be stronger by most books, so that is what is expected of you

similarly, LiAlBH4 is STRONGER, but NaBH4 is more COMMONLY USED. Select at your own choice.

But KMnO4 would just oxidize the Alcohol into the corresponding carboxylic acid... What if we want the aldehyde then?

Reaction score
Although the mechanism for strength of oxidising agent is not involved in the A2 syllabus at all, its basically left best to say that ones mechanism of action is simply superior in speed or efficiency then the others.
What?:eek:

Reaction score
okie dokie

Reaction score
But KMnO4 would just oxidize the Alcohol into the corresponding carboxylic acid... What if we want the aldehyde then?
Then you would heat it with a fractional distillation set-up, whereby the volative aldehyde would be evaporated and collected off in a seperate vessel.