• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Moreover what are the important things I need to know about NMR??
most important thing is to knw how to deduce the structure of a compound from the NMR spectrum by using chemical shifts and protons on data booklet...

Reaction score
bio B, chem B n physics A
I know it's a bit awkward to ask but how did your chem paper went in AS that you got a B mine recently p22 went according to my expectations of around 40-43 marks
and i'm getting too worried :(

Reaction score
most important thing is to knw how to deduce the structure of a compound from the NMR spectrum by using chemical shifts and protons on data booklet...
Hmm check I know that part...thank you so much
If I have any more doubts I might trouble you

Reaction score
As in first 10 d block elements 4s is lower in energy and 3d is higher. so electron fills in 4s first and last in 3d.... then why does when any of the 10 element forms an ion the first electron is removed from 4s orbital?

Reaction score
I know it's a bit awkward to ask but how did your chem paper went in AS that you got a B mine recently p22 went according to my expectations of around 40-43 marks
and i'm getting too worried :(
i screwed up in practical that's y i got overall B in chem... :/
u shud study hard to get better grades in p12 n p32/33
n everythng depends on gt...

Reaction score
As in first 10 d block elements 4s is lower in energy and 3d is higher. so electron fills in 4s first and last in 3d.... then why does when any of the 10 element forms an ion the first electron is removed from 4s orbital?
4s is the outer most orbital so e- will be removed frm ths orbital first...
n do u knw the exceptions of electronic configuration in Cu n Cr?

Reaction score
This link discusses this:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/properties/3d4sproblem.html
Note that we don't actually have to know any of this, we just have to take it as a fact that 3d orbitals are filled first but 4s orbitals removed first...

Reaction score
As electrons fill the subshells 'd' and 's' ,they return back to their positions
4s is the outer most orbital so e- will be removed frm ths orbital first...
n do u knw the exceptions of electronic configuration in Cu n Cr?
Well 3d is higher in energy than 4s so we fill 4s first that 3d. So 3d should be the one from which electron should be remove na.... Anyways this is wrong.. I got ma solution. :)

Reaction score
This link discusses this:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/properties/3d4sproblem.html
Note that we don't actually have to know any of this, we just have to take it as a fact that 3d orbitals are filled first but 4s orbitals removed first...
Ya, I got ma solution from this site. This site is really awesome... <3 My A level concepts are cleared from this site only.... Thanks to Jim. ^_^
Well.... to get in deep and understand, this will fit in memory and last forever... Rather than mugging up the facts.

The reason is simple... In K and Ca, 4s in lower in energy and in d block elements its different 3d is lower, not 4s! Coz of less repulsion more stability and who doesnt want stability in this world? :D

Reaction score
can u give examples of tables for titration, measuring and recording temperature ?
ASAP !
Come on, making tables is a child's play. Besides you should'v practiced this before or asked for it way before not now!!!
I think any reasonable table is fine.

Reaction score
Come on, making tables is a child's play. Besides you should'v practiced this before or asked for it way before not now!!!
I think any reasonable table is fine.
I KNOW but i keep messing up...i know the titration and the mass difference table but temperature .............