• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
No C can only form four bonds
two already there due to double bond , one is attached to other carbon nd last bond to O
draw the structure of it if ur confused :)
But then it only shows single bonds in the ring...
upload_2015-6-3_20-38-29.png
Where are the double bonds inside the ring? :confused:

Reaction score
Halogenoalkanes undergo Elimination/Dehydration and Nucleophilic substitution. When adding KOH in ethanol (reflux), it forms alkene (elimination reaction) , not NaOH, with NaOH in water (reflux) it forms alcohol which is Nucleophilic substitution
oh sorry i meant elimination **
thanks for correcting bro :)
nehaoscar sorry for my error....i hve been typing too much :p

Reaction score
hey no :p
the benzene ring has three double bonds within it
:cry:But they don't show it... so how do you know it has?? :p

Like this is a different question where they show the double bonds in one ring and then the other rings have the chiral centres marked
So if you consider the double bonds in this one in the rings you'd get the answer wrong :sick:
upload_2015-6-3_20-47-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-3_20-46-40.png
    upload_2015-6-3_20-46-40.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
the electrons get removed frm the outer most shell
nd looking at the graph we can say 2 electrons are removed frm the outer most shell bcaz u can see there is a huge difference between the third point nd 2nd point on the graph which means 3rd electron is removed frm a shell closer to the nucleus that is the 2nd last shell
so the outer shell has two electrons only nd this happens only in a grp 2 element

Reaction score
:cry:But they don't show it... so how do you know it has?? :p

Like this is a different question where they show the double bonds in one ring and then the other rings have the chiral centres marked
So if you consider the double bonds in this one in the rings you'd get the answer wrong :sick:
View attachment 54513
u hve got me wrong :/
u see there is a ring in the diagram of the question u asked ---- u shud know the structure of benzene ring
in this question where is the ring ??
idk if i studied this in AS or A2 becaz iam giving Alevel in this session :/

Reaction score
the electrons get removed frm the outer most shell
nd looking at the graph we can say 2 electrons are removed frm the outer most shell bcaz u can see there is a huge difference between the third point nd 2nd point on the graph which means 3rd electron is removed frm a shell closer to the nucleus that is the 2nd last shell
so the outer shell has two electrons only nd this happens only in a grp 2 element
ahhh ok, thank you soo much:)

Reaction score
Ketone is present in CH3CH2OCOCH3, secondary alcohol oxidise to form ketone with H+/K2Cr2O7 (Oxidation) , It's not esterification as ester is not present
Doesn't the OCO represent an ester?
And also the question says that ethyl ethanoate is produced
upload_2015-6-3_21-56-37.png