• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
can someone explain how NO2 is polar?
the electronegativities of N and O are different so the bonds will be polar but wont the dipoles cancel each other out and the overall compound becomes nonpolar.

Reaction score
can someone explain how NO2 is polar?
the electronegativities of N and O are different so the bonds will be polar but wont the dipoles cancel each other out and the overall compound becomes nonpolar.
the bond angle is not 180 (because of the lone pair on nitrogen) thus it will be cancelled to some extent but not completely and will overall be polar :)

Reaction score
the bond angle is not 180 (because of the lone pair on nitrogen) thus it will be cancelled to some extent but not completely and will overall be polar :)

does the shape of a molecule affect the overall polarity of a compound to a large extent then?

Reaction score
yes! dipoles are vectors so if u want them to completely cancel, u need to take into account direction as well... (i.e. shape)

Ok rite yes i just drew the NO2 molecule and i get what you mean. Its nitrogen part will be partial positive and two oxygen atoms partial negative so it is polar just like in H2O and as they are both bent so dipoles wont completely cancel out. Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Ok rite yes i just drew the NO2 molecule and i get what you mean. Its nitrogen part will be partial positive and two oxygen atoms partial negative so it is polar just like in H2O and as they are both bent so dipoles wont completely cancel out. Thanks a lot!
exactly! ur welcome :)
except that the bond angle will be different frm H2O its da same concept :)

Reaction score
exactly! ur welcome :)
except that the bond angle will be different frm H2O its da same concept :)

yes yes i know because there are 2 lone pairs in H2O and one in NO2. but you know i never really considered the shape but now these questions will be easier to solve thanks again!:)

Reaction score
Which ion is most polarising?
A Al3+
B Ba2+
C Mg2+
D Na+

wht do u mean by pol arising?:confused:

Reaction score
yes yes i know because there are 2 lone pairs in H2O and one in NO2. but you know i never really considered the shape but now these questions will be easier to solve thanks again!:)
yep! ^_^
ur so welcum... just remember me in ur prayers pls :)

Reaction score
can you guys please also clear my doubts which i posted in the AS chemistry forum i would be very thankfull of you please help

Reaction score
Which ion is most polarising?
A Al3+
B Ba2+
C Mg2+
D Na+

wht do u mean by pol arising?:confused:
the one dat can distort the charge cloud of the anion the most....
it will be the one with the greatest charge denstiy (i.e. smallest radius and highest charge)

Reaction score
How does concentrated sulfuric acid behave when it reacts with sodium chloride?
A as an acid only
B as an acid and oxidising agent
C as an oxidising agent only
D as a reducing agent only

Reaction score
An aqueous solution was prepared containing 1.0mol of AgNO3 and 1.0mol of FeSO4 in 1.00 dm3
of water. When equilibrium was established, there was 0.44mol of Ag+(aq) in the mixture.
Ag+(aq) + Fe2+(aq) --> Ag(s) + Fe3+(aq)

What is Kc?

A. 0.35 B. 0.62 C. 1.62 D. 2.89

I got C as my answer but the correct one is D, can anyone explain how to get D?

Edit: Oops I missed out the question! I just added it

Reaction score
An aqueous solution was prepared containing 1.0mol of AgNO3 and 1.0mol of FeSO4 in 1.00 dm3
of water. When equilibrium was established, there was 0.44mol of Ag+(aq) in the mixture.

wht is the Q

Reaction score
can u give me the link please? i'll try to... its a good revision :p
please some one help as soon as possible
oct/nov 2010 second variant numer-7,18,31,34,36. soory for so much question but what can i do the paper semmed hard for me got these mistakes and unfortunately coudnt resolve any of my mistakes:(

thanks for helping all xpc members:)
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w10_qp_12.pdf
this was what i posted there.
thanks for helping.:)

Reaction score
please some one help as soon as possible
oct/nov 2010 second variant numer-7,18,31,34,36. soory for so much question but what can i do the paper semmed hard for me got these mistakes and unfortunately coudnt resolve any of my mistakes:(

thanks for helping all xpc members:)
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w10_qp_12.pdf
this was what i posted there.
thanks for helping.:)
its alright :)
can u please give me a direct link to the paper itself cuz i cant find it atm... den i'll try 2 solve dem :)

Reaction score
I asked this question already, but just thought I post it again since we're on a new page.

What is Kc?