• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
X is the oxide of a Period 3 element. X reacts with water to give an acidic solution. A solution is prepared by reacting 0.100g of X with excess water. This solution was neutralised by exactly 25.0 cm of 0.100 mol dm sodium hydroxide solution.
what could be the identity of X?
Al2O3
MgO
P4O10
SO3

Reaction score
Hi guys, so about half a year ago, when I was writing up my thesis, I was inspired to start my own Chemistry tutorial channel. It has since humbly continued to attract more viewers (students/learners, I assume) globally.

www.youtube.com/c/ptetchemistry

I have recently resumed teaching, albeit at a different level, and I have continued to update my channel (in my own free time) with more teaching and learning resources including lectorials (lecture tutorials), practical videos, alternative to practical (for those who did not get the chance to actually work in the laboratory) and importantly, my think-aloud tutorials for exam questions.

It is not a fancy channel, but an educational one at best. In my previous work, I was (and still am!) an accomplished synthetic organometallic chemist, working with some of the most air-sensitive compounds. My passion is however in advancing chemical education and affording equal opportunities for all who want to learn from me.

The topical playlists for O/IGCSE/GCSE (pure chemistry and combined science chemistry) make it suitable for any 14-16 years old at various stages of the curriculum, while that for A/IB make it suitable for any 16-18 years old too.

If you feel the work is worthy, do subscribe and share with friends, chat groups, relatives, etc who can benefit from these resources. To those new to YouTube (just in case), subscribing to my channel cost nothing but will support the channel/work.

You can also follow me on ptet.chemistry on IG, FB and Twitter, to get all the latest updates and to stay connected.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Don't forget to subscribe and share the channel widely with all your friends, chat/study groups, juniors/seniors, teachers, relatives, etc.

Topical playlists for both IGCSE/O and also A/IB level chemistry make them suitable for any 14-18 years old Chemistry learners at whatever stages of the curriculum.

Follow me ptet.chemistry on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to get connected. Cheers.

Reaction score
hi i wanted to ask something relating to electronegativity. In the syllabus it says understand, in simple terms, the concept of electronegativity and apply it to explain the properties of molecules such as bond polarity (see also Section 3.3(c)), the dipole moments of molecules (3.3(d)) and the behaviour of oxides with water. How can i apply the concept to the behaviour of oxides?
More electronegative the central metal atom, more acidic the oxide

Reaction score
OK so first you need to know the reactions of the period 3 oxides with water. AL2O3 does not react so optionA b are wrong. Next we react 2NaOH (which is a basic oxide and the product of reaction between oxide and H2O) with corresponding acidic oxide & balance the equations.
NOTE The Q states"neutralised by exactly 1mol....so D is correct as it balances perfectly with 2NaOH.
thank you

Reaction score
The lattice energies(enthalpies) of rubidium fluoride(RbF) and caesium chloride(CsCl) are -760 KJ/mol and -650kJ/mol respectively. What is the lattice energy of caesium Fluoride(CsF) likely to be? (Rb-37;Cs-55) ANS B
A.-620kJ/mol
B.-720 kJ/mol
C.-800kJ/mol
D.-900kJ/mol
can any1 explain n is this an AS question?
hi , can i know you get B ?

Reaction score
The lattice energies(enthalpies) of rubidium fluoride(RbF) and caesium chloride(CsCl) are -760 KJ/mol and -650kJ/mol respectively. What is the lattice energy of caesium Fluoride(CsF) likely to be? (Rb-37;Cs-55) ANS B
A.-620kJ/mol
B.-720 kJ/mol
C.-800kJ/mol
D.-900kJ/mol
can any1 explain n is this an AS question?
do you know the explanation?

Reaction score
A.-620kJ/mol
B.-720 kJ/mol
C.-800kJ/mol
D.-900kJ/mol
can any1 explain how the answer is B

Reaction score
does anyone know what is the corresponding letters options for questions like this

When organic refuse decomposes in water carboxylic acids are formed. The water becomes acidic and aquatic life is destroyed.
Which additives are suitable to remove this acid pollution?
1 calcium carbonate
2 calcium hydroxide
3 potassium nitrate

The answer is B. Which options is it referring to?

Reaction score
does anyone know what is the corresponding letters options for questions like this

When organic refuse decomposes in water carboxylic acids are formed. The water becomes acidic and aquatic life is destroyed.
Which additives are suitable to remove this acid pollution?
1 calcium carbonate
2 calcium hydroxide
3 potassium nitrate

The answer is B. Which options is it referring to?
option 1 and 2

Reaction score
An element X and compound YZ react separately with acid as shown.
X(s) + 2H+(aq) → X2+(aq) + H2(g)
YZ(s) + 2H+(aq) → Y2+(aq) + H2Z(g)
When 1.0 g of either X or YZ is reacted with an excess of acid, the total volume of gas formed is the same.
Which statements are correct?
1. Ar(X) = Mr(YZ)
2. X and Y are metals.
3. X and Y must both be in the same group of the Periodic Table.

Why is the answer "1 and 2 are correct"?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question regarding Fe+2 and KMnO4 titrations. So you do know that before carrying out the titration excess dilute sulfuric acid must be added to the Fe+2 solution to allow redox rxn to occur. But doesn't the addition of excess dilute sulfuric acid(mainly water) dilute the Fe+2 solution in the conical flask?

Reaction score
Re: All Chemistry help here!! Stuck somewhere? Ask here!

A 20.0mL sample of 0.200M HBr solution is titrated with 0.200M NaOH solution. Calculate the pH of the
solution after the following volumes of base have been added:
15 mL
ANYBODY ????

HBr + NaOH -----> NaBr + H20

n=cv=0.02 x 0.2 = 4 x10^-3 moles of HBr

n of NaOH = cv= 0.015 x 0.2= 3 x 10^-3 moles.

1x10^-3 moles of HBr left. Assuming HBr is a strong acid, [H+] = 1x10^-3/0.02+0.015=0.0286 mol dm^-3

ph=-log[H+]=1.54

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question regarding Fe+2 and KMnO4 titrations. So you do know that before carrying out the titration excess dilute sulfuric acid must be added to the Fe+2 solution to allow redox rxn to occur. But doesn't the addition of excess dilute sulfuric acid(mainly water) dilute the Fe+2 solution in the conical flask?
excess dilute acid is added to ensure that the reaction goes to completion only when all of fe2+ ions have been consumed by Mno4- ions and not due to decreased concentration of H+

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi! please help! question as follows,

Suggest a test to determine if a MgO substance is mixture or compound. Thank you!

Reaction score
X is the oxide of a Period 3 element. X reacts with water to give an acidic solution.
A solution is prepared by reacting 0.100g of X with excess water. This solution was neutralised
by exactly 25.0cm3
of 0.100moldm–3 sodium hydroxide solution.
What could be the identity of X?
A Al 2O3 B MgO C P4O10 D SO3

Need help with this