• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me the difference between Sn1 and Sn2 reactions for Halogenoalkanes?
Sn2 is single step reaction, rate of reaction depends on 2 molecules and is given by Primary and Secondary Alkyl Halides... tertiary alkyl halides dont give sn2 as they are bulky.....

Sn1 is two step and is given by tertiary and secondary alkyl halides.... Rate of reaction depends on one molecule .. and primary alkyl halides cant give it as their carbocation is highly unstable!

Reaction score
Why can't NaBr react with the water? I made that mistake at first too. :s
When you see that the question is asking you to make boromobutane from butanol ... you have to remember that an alcohol needs HBr for this reaction to occur. After that you have to think of an equation/reaction of NaBr that will make HBr ... and NaBr + water will not give you HBr..
Sodium bromide dissassociates into Na+ and Br- ions when it is dissolved in water.
NaBr + H2O = Na+ and Br- aq.

Reaction score
can any one explain me when to do product - reactant and when reactant - product in enthalpy change questions

Reaction score
can any one explain me when to do product - reactant and when reactant - product in enthalpy change questions
enthalpy change= enthalpy of products - enthalpy of reactants... always when you have only these two or an enthalpy profile. If you have stuff like enthalpy of reaction or formation to find from enthalpy of combustion or enthalpy of formations... then use a Hess's diagram.

Reaction score
and.. how come aluminium chloride is covalent but aluminium fluoride is ionic?
what's the metal used as a catalyst in a vehicle's catalytic converter? (palladium.. platinum..? can't remember)
platinum, NOT palladium.....just yesturday i saw this written in a mark scheme

Reaction score
whats induced dipole-dipole and permanent dipole dipole? please help its bothering me alot.
We had a conversation about it earlier on the thread but I'll explain it again.
There are 2 main types of intermolecular forces (so these are between molecules not atoms..):

1. Van der Waal's forces
    • Instantaneous dipole- Induced dipole (London forces) - these are betwen non polar covalent molecules such as alkanes. They are the weekest and basically form if electron distribution becomes unever in a molecule. A temporary dipole is set up which can disturn the electron distribution in the adjacent molecule producing an opposite induced dipole.
    • Permanent dipole- Permanent dipole (Keesom forces)- polar molecules have permanent dipoles and are attached to each other by pd-pd forces where the permanently positive end of one molecule is attached to the permanently negative end of the other molecule. These forces are stronger than London Forces.

Van der Waal's forces increase in strength with no. of electrons in the molecules and hence affect the melting and boiling points.
  2. Hydrogen Bonding
    • These are the strongest of the intermolecular forces found between an electron deficient Hydrogen atom on one molecule and a lone pair of electrons on a highly electronegative atom of another molecule. So the force between the H atom of water and the N atom of ammonia is a hydrogen bond. It affects solubility of compounds.

Reaction score
when ur given enthalpy change of formation of reactants and products, then its= product-reactant
if ur given enthalpy change of combustion of the elements and the product, then its= reactant-product
if ur asked to use bond energies from the data booklet, then too its= reactant-product

Reaction score
enthalpy change= enthalpy of products - enthalpy of reactants... always when you have only these two or an enthalpy profile. If you have stuff like enthalpy of reaction or formation to find from enthalpy of combustion or enthalpy of formations... then use a Hess's diagram.
Enthalpy change= Enthalpy of reactants - enthalpy of products when bond energies are given to you.

Reaction score
people wat to prepare fr while studyng fr p5?? should we jst go thru the syllabus nd solve past papers???