• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
u
chalo i am giving it a try

amino acids contain the -NH2 group . when the solution is acidic (i.e H+ ions are present), nitrogen in the the -NH2 group uses iits lone pair of electrons and attracts the H+ ion.. a dative covalent bond is formed and the charge on the molecule is is increased by +1 so the spot moves towards the negative electrode(cathode)

in case the solution becomes more alkaline, the COOH ggroup loses its hydrogen in the form of H+ ions to nuetralise the ffect of base (OH- ions and H+ ions react to form water)
but the charge on the original molecule has decreased by 1 , it is attarcted to the anode (pos. electrode)

This way electrophoresis is dependant on the pH
jazakallahu khairan...may Allah reward u for ur goodness!!:):):) .......i gt it!!!:):):)

Reaction score
111111111-png.23305

Attachments

• 111111111.png
    111111111.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score

question 1,
1 mole = 6.02*10^23 particles
n(H atoms)= mass/ Mr * 2 ( multiply by 2 since we are talking about atoms not molecules)
=1/2 *2 =1 mole=6.02*10^23
Only option C has 1 mole Neon ATOMS! which is equal to 6.02*10^23 atoms!
I hope I didn't confuse u, right?

Reaction score
please explain me above q.
In 1g of hydrogen, moles of H2 = mass of H2/Mr of H2 = 1/2 = 0.5 moles
No of molecules of H2 = moles * (6.02*10^23) = 0.5 * (6.02*10^23) = 3.01*10^23 molecules
So, no of atoms of H2 = 2 * no. of molecules ie 6.02 * 10^23 atoms
And only Ne atoms equal the no. of H2 atoms (using the abv eqns)
So, ans = C

Reaction score
Equilibrium constant does not change when you change the pressure of a system. The only factor that affects the equilibrium constant is temperature.
The equilibrium constant is just a ratio of the product of the products to the product of the reactants.. right? Now increasing the pressure of the reactant unbalances the equilibrium because more products are formed. The concentration of products will increase until a new equilibrium is reached when the value of the equilibrium constant gets back to what it was before (The value remains the same).

In conclusion, the equilibrium "constant" is always constant unless the pressure is changed.

yeah I know. But according to your reply, when we change the temperature, there should also be a new equilibrium, so the equilibrium constant should remain unchanged..... Oh my gah I am totally confused TAT

Reaction score
yeah I know. But according to your reply, when we change the temperature, there should also be a new equilibrium, so the equilibrium constant should remain unchanged..... Oh my gah I am totally confused TAT
Yeah.. exactly! I asked my teacher the same question, but she said that it needs knowledge which is beyond A levels :)
So just remember:
When the forward reaction is exothermic, increasing the temperature decreases the value of the equilibrium constant.
When the forward reaction is endothermic, increasing the temperature increases the value of the equilibrium constant.

Reaction score
How to decide energy given out by various compounds on combustion, for example if we combust alcohol and ethene so which one is likely to give more energy, is only calculation energy change is the way? or we can decide through general knowledge in either case let me know the solution for it?

Reaction score
At a total pressure of 1.0 atm, dinitrogen tetraoxide is 50% dissociated at a temperature of 60 degree C, according to the following equation.
N2O4 ==> 2NO2
What is the value of the equilibrium constant, Kp, for this reaction at 60 degree C?
A) 1/3 atm
B) 2/3atm
C) 4/3atm
D) 2atm

Answer is C
but how is the question??

Reaction score
Organic question, help me out!?

Carboxyl compounds (aldehydes and ketones) do not make hydrogen bond within themselves...
Whats's the reasn behind this, i have read that for hydrogen bonding, H+ should be directly attached to (FON, i.e. fluorine, oxygen and nitrogen) but in carbonyl compounds, oxygen is have no such attachements like one should be present in H+ bonding. so is this the reason behind that?

My other confuion is i have studied that carbonyl compounds are polar right, and water is polar too?
so it is rule of thumb that polar solvents dissolves polar compunds, and non polar vice versa, exception small nonpolar compounds are soluble in water?
okay, so now the confusion is according to this rule aldehydes and ketones should be soluble in water, but they are sonly soluble with small chains of carbon, in bgger chains they are insoluble, so why is this soo??

Any kind of help will be appreciated, please help me!