• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Minor product is one in which halogen atom is bonded to a carbon atom with the most number of hydrogen atoms,So it shud be CH3CH2CH2Br.
C is more likely to be the product because it is more stable i think as the central carbon atom has greater charge density around it.Im thinkso im not sure in this 1
thnx

Reaction score
I need help with Design and materials. I once found a file in xtremepapers that had the notes types in a student friendly manner. I deleted it by mistake. If anyone knows where I can get it I'll be really grateful! Please! Help needed asap!!!

Reaction score
Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w04_qp_2.pdf

Question 4 f)
I don't get how those things are formed, would someone explain as briefly as possible pleasee

Thankss
Simple.
Since it is an Alcohol,
When you add an oxidising agent such as K2Cr2O7 In Primary Alcohol ( OH on the end of the carbon Chain) Attached so you get an Carboxylic acid Or If its an Secondary Alcohol( OH wala Carbon attached to other two Carbon) so you get a ketone .

Presence of an Acid and Alcohol gives you an Ester. Memorize the structure of a ester. Add the Carboxylic chain on Front and Alcohol chain on the end.

When in presence of Hydrogen Hallide.. OH on gerian-ol ,The OH will be replaces by Br

Dont think how hard the name is . They make you feel like that but Just think which Functional group it contains and if this particular functional reacts with this reagent what will be formed. List down all the reaction and reagents on a page this will help u alot and will be easy to memorized .

Reaction score
This stuff isn't in the syllabus or taught. This is precisely why it has shown you the 4 figures above the actual question. The examiner wants you to analyze those figures, see whats going on, and apply THAT to the question.

The question shows that all carbons in Benzene can be made to lie on the same plane, but not in cyclohexane. The question also shows that butane Carbons can be made to lie on the same plane, but methylpropane, also an alkane, cannot.
This tells us that if a compound has a ring, OR branching, it cannot be made to lie on the same plane.

All of them are co-planer apart from B.

C is coplaner because you don't have to consider the Oxygen atoms. The others are unbranched and two individual chains lying on the same plane.
Thank You but do you know the logic that why cant we make methyl propane coplanar? Question also tells about rotation about C-C bond. Maybe this information might be useful in this question.

Reaction score
why is mercury liquid at room temperature?

Basically because it has a week metallic bond. The mercury atoms doesn´t donate as much of their valence electrons to the cloud of electrons, so the electrostatic forces between the mercury cation and the delocalised sea of electrons isn´t as a strong metallic bond as say in magnesium, where there are more delocalised electrons and therefore more electrostatic forces of attraction.