• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Sorry I'm new to this.. can you please explain why are we using Neon while working for Argon? o_O
Read chapter 3 from Roger Norris book. Page 40 :)
Else,
We can do this for any element, BUT, we must use only noble gases in the brackets. I call this thenoble gas simplification. In this method of writing electron configurations, the last noble gas before we get to the element of interest is the noble gas we put into the brackets. For instance, for the element aluminum we write

Sulfur [Ne]3s23p4
Chlorine [Ne]3s23p5
Argon[Ne]3s23p6
Potassium[Ar]4s1
Calcium[Ar]4s2
We may NOT use any element in the brackets, only noble gases.

Reaction score
Read chapter 3 from Roger Norris book. Page 40 :)
Else,
We can do this for any element, BUT, we must use only noble gases in the brackets. I call this thenoble gas simplification. In this method of writing electron configurations, the last noble gas before we get to the element of interest is the noble gas we put into the brackets. For instance, for the element aluminum we write

Sulfur [Ne]3s23p4
Chlorine [Ne]3s23p5
Argon[Ne]3s23p6
Potassium[Ar]4s1
Calcium[Ar]4s2
We may NOT use any element in the brackets, only noble gases.

Actually i don't have that book I'll buy it soon In sha Allah.
Can you please specify a reason for using the last noble gas? o_O
is that true that last noble gas electronic configuration will be similar to the initial electronic comfiguration of the next element therefore we use them in brackets? I'm just guessing, correct me if I'm wrong..

JazakAllah.

Reaction score
Actually i don't have that book I'll buy it soon In sha Allah.
Can you please specify a reason for using the last noble gas? o_O
is that true that last noble gas electronic configuration will be similar to the initial electronic comfiguration of the next element therefore we use them in brackets? I'm just guessing, correct me if I'm wrong..

JazakAllah.
Yeah, not next element, but the next period until other Noble gas.
Didn't you got that explanation?

Reaction score
what is the answer ?
please ..... this is o-level not AL question
thanks in advance
10660829_692967187439368_1886875543_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hey can I get an A* in chem if I got A in P1 and P2 but D in practical? and how plzzzzz???:notworthy::unsure:

Depends paper to paper. Although practical is around 13% of the grade, it CAN cause a drop from an A* to an A. Best to prepare well for P4 and ace it (which is almost impossible). I screwed up a single question in my P4. Worth about 7-8 marks. Dropped that and around 3-4 others in the entire P4. Had a 60/60 P2. All components were A yet I didn't have an A*, so it depends on the percentile, really. People lose a lot of marks in P5 and P1.

Reaction score
What's the reason for Sodium and group 1 elements having a low melting point?

When you go down the group, there will be more orbital shells. Thus, the outer-most (valence) electron shell will be subject to less electrostatic force attraction from the nucleus. Therefore, the valence electrons would be more free to move about. Metallic bonding is the force of attraction between the nucleus and the 'sea' of electrons, so the increased mobility of the valence electrons as it descends down the group will result in a weaker force of attraction. Thus, less energy will be required to overcome the forces of attraction.

Reaction score
When you go down the group, there will be more orbital shells. Thus, the outer-most (valence) electron shell will be subject to less electrostatic force attraction from the nucleus. Therefore, the valence electrons would be more free to move about. Metallic bonding is the force of attraction between the nucleus and the 'sea' of electrons, so the increased mobility of the valence electrons as it descends down the group will result in a weaker force of attraction. Thus, less energy will be required to overcome the forces of attraction.

Doesn't answer her question. :p