• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Can anyone please advise on how to solve calculations in titration questions in chemistry practical, im very bad at it , dont understand a simgle question :/

Reaction score
For which reactions will writing "reflux" not be appropriate? Are there marks for writing it as a condition for other organic reactions??

Reaction score
Re: All Chemistry help here!! Stuck somewhere? Ask here!

explain trend of solubility of group 2 sulphates.....well in anser to this.....we have to write that hydration enthalpy decrese faster than lattice bt i dont undrstnd how
The equation for the enthalpy of solution is. E= hydration energy - lattice energy so if the value of hydration energy is greater than the lattice energy then the enthalpy of solution will be positive. As a general rule, the more positive the enthalpy of solution is, the higher is the solubility. The hydration energy depends on the cations, so the difference in their size is relevant to the change in energy, while for lattice energy, neutral molecules are formed and since the sizes of the cations are negligible compared to the sulfate ion, the size of the molecule remains roughly the same as we decend the group so the lattice energy doesn't change that much, but as the the size of the cation increases down the group l, the hydration energy decreases significantly. Since the decrease in hydration energy is greater than the decrease in LE, the enthalpy of soliton is less positive and the solubility deceases

Reaction score
If we remove three electrons from 3 half-filled orbitals from the same p subshell, why is there a small increase in ionization energy in each of them?

Reaction score
Mg.gif

Like, why is there an increase in 3rd to 4th I.E. and 4th to 5th I.E?

Reaction score
Mg.gif

Like, why is there an increase in 3rd to 4th I.E. and 4th to 5th I.E?
After the removal of an electron, the already present electrons tend to get closer to each other. Thus it is becomes harder to remove another electron.
Such questions won't really come. They would rather prefer to ask simplistic statements, like why is there an abrupt increase in the ionization energy between the 2nd and 3rd I.E

Another possible explanation. In Magnesium, the p sub-shell is complete with THREE PAIRS. The first electron in the FIRST PAIR is removed at the cost of residual repulsion. This makes removing the electron easier. Then electrons get closer to each other. The other electron in the FIRST PAIR is more difficult to remove...

Reaction score
Another possible explanation. In Magnesium, the p sub-shell is complete with THREE PAIRS. The first electron in the FIRST PAIR is removed at the cost of residual repulsion. This makes removing the electron easier. Then electrons get closer to each other. The other electron in the FIRST PAIR is more difficult to remove...

What?

Aren't electrons first removed from 3s in magnesium?

Reaction score
After the removal of an electron, the already present electrons tend to get closer to each other. Thus it is becomes harder to remove another electron.
Such questions won't really come. They would rather prefer to ask simplistic statements, like why is there an abrupt increase in the ionization energy between the 2nd and 3rd I.E

So you are saying repulsions decrease and that's the reason?
My theory is (once I thought about it) that when one electron leaves, the charge goes to +1 and thus it's the same amount of protons attracting one less electron so the bond between the nucleus and the remaining electrons gets stronger thus rising the I.E.

And Dark Destination, read the question clearly.