• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemo P5 tips

Reaction score
ok ppl iam shifting to AS p2 discussion side ....Saudha cud u come there too....i guess its enough for us to give this much time for p5...now its time for p2

Reaction score
What is the best apparatus that can be used to find volume of gas, one which is workable and convenient. All I know is that there are two kinds of arrangements that can be employed: first, where we use thistle funnel and conical flask and second, where we use a small test tube containing for example an acid and we tilt it towards a strip of metal for the reaction.
Please kindly elaborate on this. I might not be totally right about this. But help.
Thanks. =)
Somebody PLEASE reply to my above question. Its basic! C'mon somebody must know! =/

Reaction score
can someone please tell me howw to draw the apparatus for M/J/10/52.. please!
- 250cm3 conical flask with potassium chloride in it
- 0-100 degree Celsius range thermometer
- thermometer in [KCl] not touching the edge or bottom of the flask
- conical flask on top of tripod and gauze
- under the tripod is Bunsen burner...

Reaction score
can some one tell how to prepare 250cm of 0.1 of aqueous lead nitrate
1 molar= Mr in 1000cm3
for e.g the mass used here is Pb(NO3)2 ......this question came in O/N 10
so, 1 molar of Pb(NO3)2= Mr of Pb(NO3)2 in 1000cm3
1 molar = 331
0.1 molar = x
u cross multiply and get x as 33.1
then,
33.1= 1000cm3
x= 250cm3
cross multiply and u'll get x as 8.3g
mix 8.3grams of Pb(NO3)2 with small amount of water (MUST BE LESS THAN 250cm3)
make sure all the solid is dissolved....transfer the solution and all its 'rinsings' into a 250cm3 volumetric flask, add water till the 250cm3 mark
shake to mix the solution

hope u got it, im not good in explaining though...

Reaction score
a useful RULE OF THUMB
Reference to ‘hot’ apparatus, not Bunsen or water......meaning bunsen burner shud never be identified as a hazard!!!

Reaction score
TIP...
WEHNEVER EXPERIMENT OF TEMP. ON RATE OF RXN
must equlibirate both solutions to be mixed for reaction to water bath temperature ~!!!!

Reaction score
TIP...
WEHNEVER EXPERIMENT OF TEMP. ON RATE OF RXN
must equlibirate both solutions to be mixed for reaction to water bath temperature ~!!!!

can someone please tell what the examiner means by "use a range of atleast 40 degrees"
whats meant by range here?

Reaction score
as in you have to use diff temp in ur exp ranging for example from 10 Celsius to 50
thats when u have temperature as ur independent variable

Reaction score
one more tip
let say u are running a decomposition experiment .....then the possible errors cud be SOLID BLOWN OUT DUE TO NOT HEATING GENTLY........and INSUFFICIENT HEATING SO NOT FULLY DECOMPOSED........the point of overheating does not applies everywhere....cos some residue salts require too high a temperature to be decomposed......
one more thing.....to avoid insufficient heating as an error.....then MAKE SURE U ARE HEATING TO CONSTANT MASS

Reaction score
can anybody explain the divided reaction vessel for an exp involving evolution of gas??????plz qiuckly...P5 is tomorrow...............

Reaction score
yea i dont saw at actually .....bt there is a partition in the concial flask between solid and and liquid....so when u shake the flask the partition wall falls down
one USEFUL TIP....
Whenever dealing with hydrogen or other flammable gases in any experiment....safety precaution is too keep away from flame...or else an explosion

Reaction score
hello frens plz help me in the question of of p 53 of M/J 2011 Q no (1) (c) .. how do you draw the diagram of the apparatus.. i'm really confused with how to draw a water bath and :D i'd be really glad if someone would right away help me out.. :D and how do we actually fix the apparatus to get the time for the rate of the reaction (how do u actually use the x-marked paper below the conical flask when u have to keep the tempr constant by using the waterbath) ?? i'm really confused with this one.. and to really say i've never seen a diagram of a waterbath so please as for a sample, help me out guyzz ! :D

Reaction score
just past hee gas through a beaker containing water where an inverted bureette containing water has been placed

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone have the ER for chemistry O/N 2011? If so, could you please upload it? Thanks!