• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

confirm salts chem34

Reaction score
Well i got NH4 as the comon cation, while fe2 was the other cation. sulphate was in first one..
fb10 and 11 were alcohols and i messed up the ethalpy change question. i got ethlpy somewhere near 790kjmol.

Reaction score
hmm u got em right i think .. but why wudnt it be cr+3 ... when we left the solution .. it remained green for me and did not turn brown .. which means its wasnt Fe+2 .....
if only i had the presence of mind to add that k2cr2o7 agent to the solution to test if it was oxidized .. wed know for sure .

Reaction score
I messed up the end of the enthalpy when we had to calculate some theoretical crap.
Couldn't do it :/

Reaction score
so ur solution didn't turn brown ??

I'd waited 5 mins while i was doing other questions and it hadn't turned brown for me at all so i was pretty sure it was Cr3+ ..... but as some are saying theirs did turn brown .. it would be iron :S ..

maybe they'll consider both fe+2 and Cr3+ .. hopefully :D.

Reaction score
may i know wat u all wrote for obervation FB10 and FB11 with acidified potassium dichromate? thx...

Reaction score
lol they turned.. instantly.. One required bath tub :D :D other turned itself !!

And my silvber mirror was beautiful :D

Reaction score
i wrote fe2+ coz when i pour the ppt on the tissue it clearly turned brown......
n orange turn green 4 observation PB10 and PB11 but i didn't get it though

Reaction score
hey thr was another trick question .. when theyd asked for error in single thermometer reading it was 0.5 *C ... but then they asked percentage error for the CHANGE in temperature of -12*C ..
as change is found by a - b sth ... the error would be 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 . i solved it this way .. got 8.3 % error .

maybe i just overthought it all .. howd u guys do it ?

Reaction score
The mass was 0.1/5.6 * 100 !! i dunt remember how i did my opther part.. i think i did something like this ..

Reaction score
and what type of error did u people rite.. I wrote parallex error.. Because it doesnt affect the change in reading !!

Reaction score
wasnt the gradient negative ?! the change in temp was negative as the temp was dropping .. so readings would be -5 -10 -15 sth ... ur giving me a heart attack man .. sm1 plz confirm.

Reaction score
The graph we had to plot was FALL in temperature against mass of NaHCO3... If u take fall as negative u are actually taking rise in temperature :O