• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics, Accounting & Business: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 9378View attachment 9379View attachment 9380View attachment 9381View attachment 9382View attachment 9377 hEY CAN SOMEBODY PLZZZZ CLEAR OUT MY DOUBTS....GOD BLESS U...SPECIALLY MAD GAL AND YOUZAIRE IF U CAN...PLZZZZZ
qns 29. STERLING has depreciated against dollar so dollar against sterling appreciated!
this means US imports from Uk will become cheaper and UK imports from US will be expensive so option B and C are cancelled out! i don't think A is applicable i feel check the defination in google!
and D is right since dollar appreciated aginst sterling so $ became more expensive in terms of pound!

qns 18-its A because since demand is unitary farmers income won't be affected with increase or fall in supply

qns 19- u have to calculate opportunity cost
for country 1- 1X=0.43Y 1Y=2.33X
for country 2- 1X=0.5Y 1Y=2X
so country 1 has comparative advantage in X and country 2 in Y!
now look at the options :- option A out
C is not right either as they have comparative advantage in Y and D is wrong too!
B is right as country 1 has absolute adv in production of Y (they can produce more Y than country 2) and comparative adv in X!

qns 23- unemployment rate= total unemployed/total labour force(unemployed+employed) * 100
so unemployment rate is 5/(45+5)*100=10% therefore option A and D eliminated!
participation rate is total labour force/total adult population*100 so answer is 50/100*100=50% so your answer is B

qns 28-as Yen depreciates against dollar value of imports in Yen becomes expensive so it increases and as for value measured in dollar:
(this is not my explanation but shanky631 coz i dont want to take credit for others work......i had the same doubt btw)
Okay let me give u an example. Suppose if a goods price is 400 rupees and the exchange rate is 1 dollar = 40 rupees. That means its value in terms of dollars is 10 but now if dollar has appreciated and now 1 dollar=50 rupees. The value of good in terms of dollars would become 8. So hasn't the value in terms of dollars decreased.
hope you understand!

qns 13- use elimination method here!
option : A-an increase in price of complement will lead to fall in quantity traded so A is wrong!
B- an increase in price of substitute will mean their demand can fall and our rise! maybe the price increase of 10 cents was much lower than the substitute so this is a more likely correct option!
C- imposition of tax means supply will reduce so quantity traded falls too!

there you go!
hope you understand!
D-if you draw the diagram the imposition of minimum price will lead to fall in quantity demanded and rise in supply so it's unlikely that this is right!

Reaction score
Could any1 solve my following doubts?
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Economics (9708)/9708_s10_qp_11.pdf
Q.8 Ans. is A
Q.12 Ans. is C
Q. 19 Ans. is D
Q. 24 Ans. is B
Q. 29 Ans. is D
Please Explain!!ASAP!!
Thanx in Advance!!

q24- this is calculated like this (5x10)+(3x0)+(2x-5)=40.we mutiply 3 by 0 because there is no change in price. n we mutiply 2 by(-5) because the price has fallen by 5%. now divide 40 by the sum of weights (5+3+2)=10.
therefore 40/10=4% which is the inflation rate.
q29- in june 1B$=23.19J$ and in july 1B$=23.12J$. this means that the Barbados $ has depreciated against the Jamaican $. Now if the demand for barbados dollar falls by the jamaican , the barbados $ will depreciate hence this option D will be correct.

Reaction score
qns 29. STERLING has depreciated against dollar so dollar against sterling appreciated!
this means US imports from Uk will become cheaper and UK imports from US will be expensive so option B and C are cancelled out! i don't think A is applicable i feel check the defination in google!
and D is right since dollar appreciated aginst sterling so $ became more expensive in terms of pound!

qns 18-its A because since demand is unitary farmers income won't be affected with increase or fall in supply

qns 19- u have to calculate opportunity cost
for country 1- 1X=0.43Y 1Y=2.33X
for country 2- 1X=0.5Y 1Y=2X
so country 1 has comparative advantage in X and country 2 in Y!
now look at the options :- option A out
C is not right either as they have comparative advantage in Y and D is wrong too!
B is right as country 1 has absolute adv in production of Y (they can produce more Y than country 2) and comparative adv in X!

qns 23- unemployment rate= total unemployed/total labour force(unemployed+employed) * 100
so unemployment rate is 5/(45+5)*100=10% therefore option A and D eliminated!
participation rate is total labour force/total adult population*100 so answer is 50/100*100=50% so your answer is B

qns 28-as Yen depreciates against dollar value of imports in Yen becomes expensive so it increases and as for value measured in dollar:
(this is not my explanation but shanky631 coz i dont want to take credit for others work......i had the same doubt btw)
Okay let me give u an example. Suppose if a goods price is 400 rupees and the exchange rate is 1 dollar = 40 rupees. That means its value in terms of dollars is 10 but now if dollar has appreciated and now 1 dollar=50 rupees. The value of good in terms of dollars would become 8. So hasn't the value in terms of dollars decreased.
hope you understand!

qns 13- use elimination method here!
option : A-an increase in price of complement will lead to fall in quantity traded so A is wrong!
B- an increase in price of substitute will mean their demand can fall and our rise! maybe the price increase of 10 cents was much lower than the substitute so this is a more likely correct option!
C- imposition of tax means supply will reduce so quantity traded falls too!

there you go!
hope you understand!
D-if you draw the diagram the imposition of minimum price will lead to fall in quantity demanded and rise in supply so it's unlikely that this is right!

hahaha looks like we both replied at the same time. =D

Reaction score
I have some doubts in
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Economics (9708)/9708_w07_qp_1.pdf Que - 20 am confused with B n C. The answer is C and
Que 25 - dont get it! i marked A. Ans is B

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Economics (9708)/9708_s07_qp_1.pdf
Que 12 Explain please! The answer is D
24 Explain please! The answer is D
25 - why does the balance of trade worsen?? Explain please?! The ans is A.
Please! RASAP :)
in qns 20 it is C because if importers are to remain competitive in the country they are to reduce their own prices coz tariff will be placed!
B is not right because only imports are becoming expensive ! exports are left unaffected so we can't say that exports are becoming competitive .......maybe foreign country's good are cheaper compared to exports!
qns 25- It's not that prices will change exactly with inflation! so its B
SORRY BAD EXPLANATION!

qns 12- i think its D. its obviusly not B and C coz surplus will not increase and A is wrong too as it may decrease to VXYU not by VXYU so its obviously D as people may still illegally get supply at high price!

qns 24- subtract Year 3 from Year 2 to find inflation rate for year 3 and in year 2 subtract all from 100(base year 1) and compare rates!

qns 25- demand pull inflation means increase in demand......this could be because of high import demands! people have a tendency to spend more on imports !
profits will rise due to high prices from high demands!

Reaction score
your welcome
i use elimination method alot too!
they are asking the cost of this scheme to the gov so the amount of subsidy times the quantity they will buy so shouldn't it be C!
i get your point, but i dont understand the diagram honestly.

Reaction score
Could any1 solve my following doubts?
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Economics (9708)/9708_s10_qp_11.pdf
Q.8 Ans. is A
Q.12 Ans. is C
Q. 19 Ans. is D
Q. 24 Ans. is B
Q. 29 Ans. is D
Please Explain!!ASAP!!
Thanx in Advance!!
qns 8- you should always remember that when we have unitary demand that diagram for option A represents the relationship between PRICE and EXPENDITURE! its not a demand /price diagram!

qns 12- (5-3)*1000 + (5-3)*(2000-1000)/2
2*1000 + 2*1000/2
2000+1000

we have to just find out the area of the square and the triangle that represents the change in consumer surplus.
(explanation by mrgreedywolf)

qns 19-idk

qns 24-assume you have income of 100 and you spend on food, accommodation and clothing in the
ratio 5 : 3 : 2.
so your spending on food=50 , accomodation =30 and clothing=20
price of food rises by 10% so 50* 10%=5 so price of food is 55 now
the price of accommodation remains constant so accomodation still costs 30
the price of clothing falls by 5 %. so 20*5%=1 so 20-1=19
now the expenditure on all these will be 55+30+19=104
104-100=4 so increase in CPI is by 4%

qns 29-idk!

Reaction score
in qns 20 it is C because if importers are to remain competitive in the country they are to reduce their own prices coz tariff will be placed!
B is not right because only imports are becoming expensive ! exports are left unaffected so we can't say that exports are becoming competitive .......maybe foreign country's good are cheaper compared to exports!
qns 25- It's not that prices will change exactly with inflation! so its B
SORRY BAD EXPLANATION!

qns 12- i think its D. its obviusly not B and C coz surplus will not increase and A is wrong too as it may decrease to VXYU not by VXYU so its obviously D as people may still illegally get supply at high price!

qns 24- subtract Year 3 from Year 2 to find inflation rate for year 3 and in year 2 subtract all from 100(base year 1) and compare rates!

qns 25- demand pull inflation means increase in demand......this could be because of high import demands! people have a tendency to spend more on imports !
profits will rise due to high prices from high demands!
Thanks alot :) i ttly got 'em all except for the 12th one..i dont understand :(

Reaction score
q24- this is calculated like this (5x10)+(3x0)+(2x-5)=40.we mutiply 3 by 0 because there is no change in price. n we mutiply 2 by(-5) because the price has fallen by 5%. now divide 40 by the sum of weights (5+3+2)=10.
therefore 40/10=4% which is the inflation rate.
q29- in june 1B$=23.19J$ and in july 1B$=23.12J$. this means that the Barbados $ has depreciated against the Jamaican $. Now if the demand for barbados dollar falls by the jamaican , the barbados $ will depreciate hence this option D will be correct.
Thanx a lot. It helped me understand!!

Reaction score
Does anyone have the marking schemed or Economic 9708/01 for May/June 2002 paper 1?