• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Re: The Further Mathematics Thread. Post your doubts here!

I already appeared all my xams..and completed my A levels...but still...Since, i have interest in maths..i want to study Further mathematics....but...appearing xams later is not sure.....i wanna study just for fun....!! so some1 plz give me the link .....or any pdf file....like a book..so that i can study them...!!

Reaction score
Use 'Proof by Induction' to verify the statement: "For all integral values of n, 2^(n+2) + 3^(2n+1) is exactly divisible by 7."

Reaction score
Prove by direct deduction and induction that Σ (lower limit : r=1, upper limit : n) ap^r = [a(1-p^n)]/(1-p) for positive integral values of n.
Isn't there an error in the question? Since the lower limit is r=1, the first term of the series would be 'ap'. So we should be asked to prove that Σ ap^r = ap (1-p^n)/(1-p) instead. No?

Secondly,
Prove by induction that 2^n is greater than 2n for all integral values of n greater than 2.

Reaction score
abcde said:
Prove by direct deduction and induction that Σ (lower limit : r=1, upper limit : n) ap^r = [a(1-p^n)]/(1-p) for positive integral values of n.
Isn't there an error in the question? Since the lower limit is r=1, the first term of the series would be 'ap'. So we should be asked to prove that Σ ap^r = ap (1-p^n)/(1-p) instead. No?

Secondly,
Prove by induction that 2^n is greater than 2n for all integral values of n greater than 2.

Agreed. It is a geometric progresstion and in the formula you have to multiply with the first term. Hence, you are right.

Reaction score
@abcde: here is the second question:

Attachments

• 01 001.jpg
    01 001.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Thank you! :)
When you write, " 2^k - 2 > 0 for every value of k greater than 0", I think it should be "for every value of k greater than 1(for it to be correct) or 2 (as per the question's requirement)".

Reaction score
Actually it was 2 that I intended to write. I noticed it when I uploaded the question, but it wasn't worth correcting. :p You understood it anyways, and I knew that you will.

Reaction score
Prove the following by induction:

Attachments

• Prove.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 121
Reaction score
Can you please check if you wrote the correct identity. This one doesn't even stands true for n=1.

Reaction score
Sorry for that. Here's the correct one:

Attachments

• The correct one.doc
    27 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
alzahra, what's giving you a problem on it? It's a pretty simple one if you understand vector spaces. Or do you just want a solution? I can help with either.

Reaction score
AoA!
Prove by induction that Σ r^2 = 1/6 n(n+1)(2n+1).
The proof is fairly simple. I need help with the next part:
Find the sum of the squares of the first n positive odd integers.

Secondly, how can we solve this?
Verify that 5^5 ≡ 1 (Mod 11). Hence find the remainder obtained on dividing 5^1998 by 11.

Reaction score
Subtract the sum of positive even integers from the sum of squares of all integers in such a way: Σr²-Σ(2r)² and find the answer.

Didn't get the second question. Mod 11 as in |11|?

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
Subtract the sum of positive even integers from the sum of squares of all integers in such a way: Σr²-Σ(2r)² and find the answer.

Didn't get the second question. Mod 11 as in |11|?
Σ(2r)² is larger than Σr² so the answer would come out as -ive, don't you think? :S
The way I solved it was to substitute (2n -1) in place of n in this formula: Σ r^2 = 1/6 n(n+1)(2n+1).
That way I get this answer: n/3 (2n - 1)(4n - 1) whereas the correct answer is n/3 (4n^2 - 1).

No. Mod 11 as in the check digit. I don't know how it can be solved.

Reaction score
You'll need to just use different limits. To find the n number of ODD integers you'll use 2n integers because n number of them will be even.
So use 2n for the sum of all integers and then subtract sum to n of positive integers that will be represented by 2r.

Here, I have solved it for you.

Hope this helped. :)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 290
Reaction score
Mind the writing! Did it really quickly

Attachments

• 10 001.jpg
    10 001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 342