• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey, can anyone please suggest any links or books to study Further Maths Vectors and Further Maths Vector Space?

Reaction score
Is it true that in Further Mechanics, we need to study Moment of Inertia(Motion of Rigid Bodies) of two dimensional bodies only? All the questions in all the Past Papers deal with two dimensional objects only. I checked the syllabus but couldn't figure that out. Any idea?

Reaction score
Is it true that in Further Mechanics, we need to study Moment of Inertia(Motion of Rigid Bodies) of two dimensional bodies only? All the questions in all the Past Papers deal with two dimensional objects only. I checked the syllabus but couldn't figure that out. Any idea?

Not necessarily. I have seen a question regarding the moment of inertia of a sphere. The formula sheet even has the formula for the MOI of a spherical shell. So a 2D object is not a compulsion.

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I have seen a question regarding the moment of inertia of a sphere. The formula sheet even has the formula for the MOI of a spherical shell. So a 2D object is not a compulsion.

Thank you very much for your reply! Yeah, the formula sheet has a formula for a sphere but I can't find a question concerned with a three dimensional body. I checked the question papers from 1992 to 2011 but couldn't find any. Can you mention which year/session has he question about that sphere?

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply! Yeah, the formula sheet has a formula for a sphere but I can't find a question concerned with a three dimensional body. I checked the question papers from 1992 to 2011 but couldn't find any. Can you mention which year/session has he question about that sphere?
The latest 2011 October/November paper had one question with a sphere.

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me how the hell these two questions (left and right) differ?
left is F(√ y) -F(-√ y) And for right its just simply F(√ y)

Attachments

• 스크린샷 2012-04-19 오전 12.19.19.png
    스크린샷 2012-04-19 오전 12.19.19.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Could someone please explain me how they got the result for the normal contact force in the second part of this question.
I had no problem finding the frictional force but in the marking scheme they mention a force of m*a*(angular acceleration) acting opposite to the mgcos(theta) at the ring.

2ajykoj.jpg

I don't get where this opposing force comes from.

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Could someone please explain me how they got the result for the normal contact force in this question.
I had no problem finding the frictional force but in the marking scheme they mention a force of m*a*(angular acceleration) acting opposite to the mgcos(theta) at the ring.

2ajykoj.jpg

I don't get where this opposing force comes from.

Thank you very much!

I think you forgot to mention the question. :)

Reaction score
Hi hamidali391,

Isn't the question attached? Here it appears attached on the post....
Anyways, it is Paper 2 O/N 2009 Question 4, second part.

Did you find it?

Thank you very much.

Yeah, I can't see it.
Here's the solution

MOI.png

Reaction score
How do you do Q6 Summer 08 Paper 2.
Thank you
The marking scheme doesn't make too much sense :(

The only reason you can't do this question is because you must not be aware of a simple concept. The marking scheme has combined the two datas into a single data.
The concept to remember is that when Y=1.02X-1.04Z, the E(1.02X-1.04Z) will be equal to 1.02E(X)-1.04E(Z). But Variance(aX-bZ) will be equal to a²Var(X) + b²(Y). Remember the sign is changed to positive in case of variance. The rest of the question is simple probability question.

Reaction score
The only reason you can't do this question is because you must not be aware of a simple concept. The marking scheme has combined the two datas into a single data.
The concept to remember is that when Y=1.02X-1.04Z, the E(1.02X-1.04Z) will be equal to 1.02E(X)-1.04E(Z). But Variance(aX-bZ) will be equal to a²Var(X) + b²(Y). Remember the sign is changed to positive in case of variance. The rest of the question is simple probability question.
Thanks for that, but what's the technical name of doing something like this?I think I should do a few more problems.
Also aare you giving the Further Math exam this year?

Reaction score
Thanks for that, but what's the technical name of doing something like this?I think I should do a few more problems.
Also aare you giving the Further Math exam this year?

Technical name? :O :p No idea. Pick up the Crawford book and you'll find out. I haven't seen another such question in the past papers.
Yeah! I am.