• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Well, the chapter is Linear Combinations of Random Variables.

Anyway, I have a question.

Two Rods AB and BC, each of length 1 meter and weight W N, are connected at B by a smooth pin joint. The rods rest symmetrically in equilibrium
in contact with a smooth cylindrical drum of radius 0.8 m with its axis fixed and horizontal. Explain why the force from the pin on each rod is horizontal and calculate the angle between the rods.

Thank You.

Reaction score
Well, the chapter is Linear Combinations of Random Variables.

Anyway, I have a question.

Two Rods AB and BC, each of length 1 meter and weight W N, are connected at B by a smooth pin joint. The rods rest symmetrically in equilibrium
in contact with a smooth cylindrical drum of radius 0.8 m with its axis fixed and horizontal. Explain why the force from the pin on each rod is horizontal and calculate the angle between the rods.

Thank You.
Could you please draw a diagram to illustrate the situation? I am confused by the description.

Reaction score
Please do this question please guys. M/J 2004 paper 1 question 4.

ASAP;)
(i) Use conventional quotient rule to get the first, second and third differential. It should turn out that a1 = -1, a2 = 2, a3 = -6
(ii) I don't know if the question asks to suppose a formula first and prove it by induction. If so, then an= n! × (-1)^n.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Could someone explain me why the marking scheme considers the tangential acceleration (in the exercise below) to be l*sin (O)*cos(O)? O= theta.
I don't get where the sin(O) comes from.

2e6963p.jpg

May/June 2009 P2 Question 1.

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Could someone explain me why the marking scheme considers the tangential acceleration (in the exercise below) to be l*sin (O)*cos(O)? O= theta.
I don't get where the sin(O) comes from.

2e6963p.jpg

May/June 2009 P2 Question 1.

Thank you very much!

Tangential acceleration is equivalent to the product of second derivative (wrt to THETA) to the radius.
Think of IMPLICIT differentiation carefully.

Reaction score
Tangential acceleration is equivalent to the product of second derivative (wrt to THETA) to the radius.
Think of IMPLICIT differentiation carefully.

Ahhh, I got it! It would only be the cossine if the function was sin(t) then with respect to t it would be just cos(t). Since we have a theta it changes the differentiation.
Thank you very much!

Reaction score
(i) Use conventional quotient rule to get the first, second and third differential. It should turn out that a1 = -1, a2 = 2, a3 = -6
(ii) I don't know if the question asks to suppose a formula first and prove it by induction. If so, then an= n! × (-1)^n.
I don't think you have to suppose a formula somehow this is what i got, it is logically correct, an+1= -an(n+1). Is it possible to get the answer from this.

Reaction score
i have a question
i know tension has to be greater than zero at the hightest point of the circular motion
the inequality says T greater than ot equal to zero .
why equal to zero for a inextensible string
please answer it quickly

Reaction score
Could anyone please explain question 6 in P1 oct/nov 2010. I really have almost no idea how to solve such questions with k in them.

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International A And AS Level/9709 - Mathematics/9709_w10_qp_12.pdf
heres the marksheet
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International A And AS Level/9709 - Mathematics/9709_w10_ms_12.pdf

Thanks, really it means alot!

first of all solve the equations given y=kx2+1 and y=kx........... this will become kx=kx2+1....then kx2-kx+1=0.......
as they do not have a common point so b2-4ac<0
a=k, b=-k, c=1. And solve....

Reaction score
I have just finished my A2 and I am planning to take Further Mathematics study by myself...So friends please help me....
Where can I find necessary course materials to study FM? Are there any text books particularly for FM? Xtremepapers can help me with the past question papers, but i need to learn the course materials...please help me :)

Reaction score